Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 11 Jan 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Enjoying your report can't wait for the rest! And a holiday wallet-what a great idea
Thanks.

I kept losing things that I only use in America - so I bought a cheap, BRIGHT RED wallet (lol), that I keep in with the passports. I put my American cards/cash in it - as well as American postage stamps and a "dud" card for sliding into those slots in hotel rooms that let the lights be turned on.

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Loving this so far! The Aspire Lounge at Manchester Airport does hot food so I would imagine the Gatwick one does too? I love those flapjacks they have at Premier Inns for breakfast
Ah, good to know - thanks!

I think Poot had three flapjacks that morning...

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Following along. Great info re EOS.
Thanks for commenting - I have learned a lot from the Dibb (!)- so I always hope I can pay it forward.

Originally Posted by Excited6910 View Post
Mmmmm food report really looking forward to the rest!
Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Yummy!
Yes!

I love the Earl of Sandwich - they could charge WAY more than they do, being at Disney Springs. It's really nice to have a day out at Disney that is relatively inexpensive.

Edited at 12:25 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 3

We only had one meal "out" today. Breakfast (again) was cereal/yogurt/fruit from our Garden Grocer order and dinner (such as it was ) was popcorn and candy at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Oh, dear...I'm a bad mother.

Lunch at T-Rex, Disney Springs

We have a Landry’s card (it’s a prerequisite for being on the Dibb, right?) and, because my birthday is in October - we had our $25 credit to use. I let Poot choose between Rainforest or T-Rex; he picked T-Rex.

It was now around 1:00 PM - it was Sunday, too, so the queue was LONG. With our Landry’s card (we didn’t book) we were seated in *about* five minutes. We were seated right next to this little lady and her calf:

I’ve been to T-Rex twice before - but both times we sat in the Ice Cave, so I was unprepared for the sheer number of people walking straight up to our table and taking flash pictures right over my head…

I was disappointed that my go-to meal here (chicken-fried steak) was no longer on the menu - so I asked the waitress for her recommendation. She suggested the “Mastodon Stuffed Chicken” ($20):

This was: marinated chicken breast stuffed with artichoke hearts and creamy spinach, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and lemon butter. It was meant to be served with red skinned mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Poot knows I’m not big on mash, so he asked me if I would ask for waffle fries (for him!) instead. I’m a good mother; I did.

Poot had the kids’ lasagna ($9), which was a smaller portion of this, and came with a drink:

I drank the soda that came with Poot’s meal (as he only drinks water). Our waitress did put his tap water in the cute little T-Rex cup for him, which I appreciated.

My meal was REALLY rich. Despite being quite hungry, I couldn’t make much of a dent in it. I sometimes forget just how HEAVY the food at these sorts of places can be, especially at lunch. I did eat all the veg, though (and we took the chicken back to POFQ).

This early in the holiday, I think I would have enjoyed this meal much more if there had been half the chicken - and it had been served on a nice salad. Don't worry though, I soon adapt () - wait 'til you see me gobble up the beef-fat potatoes at the Yachtsman...

Poot ate all of his meal, and some of the waffle fries that I had ordered for him.

While we were dining, we received a visit from Joel, the restaurant manager. I do appreciate this benefit of the Landry’s card - I was able to voice my disappointment at the lack of chicken-fried steak - lol.

Joel was a lovely chap - from Antigua - and very eager to tell me how much he wished that Antigua and Barbuda was still a British colony.

Antigua and Barbuda:

A shame my (English) husband wasn’t there to hear a West Indian waxing nostalgic about the old colonial days...He eats that sort of thing up.

Now I know my accent is damaged after so many years living abroad...but I am half Irish and half Norwegian.

Ah, well - Joel meant well, I’m sure.

Moving on...we paid the bill - It was around $5 ($30 or so minus the $25 birthday credit). I tipped the waitress 20% (of the original cost, obviously); she was friendly but not smarmy (my favourite sort of waitress).

If you want to read about our night at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Poot's best night of the holiday!)...

The Main Trippie Post for Day 3 (T-Rex and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party) is Here

Edited at 12:08 PM.
Old 11 Jan 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm loving your report, thanks for sharing x

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Wherejogoes
Earning My Ears

love Sanibel island! quite a drive from WDW hope you had a great time!
Old 13 Jan 17, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Did you draw that my eyes picture?

If so, you are quite the artist! Edvard Munch would be impressed.

Thanks for all the tips in your report!
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Grapesoda View Post
I'm loving your report, thanks for sharing x
Thanks so much - it's really rewarding to hear that.

Originally Posted by Wherejogoes View Post
love Sanibel island! quite a drive from WDW hope you had a great time!
It was about 4 hours - DH is one of those people who doesn't mind driving, whereas I get *very* nervous on unfamiliar roads. Poor DH, though - he had to do the drive down on his birthday, and the drive back on Black Friday. Oh, the traffic that day...

Glad to hear from another Sanibel fan - we just love it there. Thanks for commenting.

Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post
Did you draw that my eyes picture?

If so, you are quite the artist! Edvard Munch would be impressed.

Thanks for all the tips in your report!

Sadly, my artistic talent (?) doesn't even stretch to that!

What Munch did when he saw my attempt at art:

Seriously, though - thanks for the kind feedback. I've learned a lot from the Dibb, and I hope I can help others have a wonderful holiday, too.
Old 13 Jan 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 4

We only ate one meal "out" today - I meant to go over to Disney Springs for dinner, but there was so much food at the French Quarter Halloween "do" that we just didn't want anything else.

An Early Lunch at Beaches and Cream, Beach Club

The Beach Club:

Beaches and Cream is at the “back” of the hotel, near the (fabulous) Stormalong Bay pool.

I’ve stayed at the Beach Club twice - it is totally my favourite Disney hotel (amazing pool+best location=perfect holiday). But the last two times we’ve been to Florida, the difference in price between the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga Springs more than paid for a week at Portofino. Sigh…

We got to Beaches and Cream around the same time as three other families.

The restaurant was just opening - and so completely empty - yet they passed out pagers and made us all sit outside while our pagers went off one by one. Maybe this guy was in the back :

It was...strange, but around 11:10 we were finally let in and seated at a two-top table. I always forget how small B&C is until I am there…

Our waitress was a bit brisk, but not unfriendly - and she didn’t bat an eye when I said that we wanted to share a main so that we could have ice cream.

The menu:

We ordered the patty melt (I LOVE patty melts - you just can’t get a good one in England - even when I’ve tried to make them at home they’re never as good as they are in America). I also ordered a pop, while Poot had his usual - tap water.

While we waited for our patty melt, I asked Poot if he wanted to go pick out some music on the jukebox - it’s stuffed with great songs from the 50s and 60s - and it’s free! - but he said no.

WHY Oh WHY did I marry a cultured man?

Sure, it’s great that he takes Poot to the Proms, but I dreamed of:

When my DH and I were first married we would go once a month or so to a classical recital or concert up in London - and finally I had to tell him that while he was being transported by Mahler, I was looking around the hall and picking out the person most likely to be a serial killer…

DH was VERY happy when Poot was finally old enough to go to the symphony - and so was I!

But I digress...

I don’t think the “main” portions at Beaches and Cream are as big as they are at most Disney restaurants - you can see that in the picture:

The Beaches Patty Melt: Angus beef burger with sauteed onions, swiss, garlic-peppercorn dressing on rye bread ($16).

And Kudos to the brisk waitress, who divided the dish in the kitchen and brought it out on two separate plates - but gave us each our own pickle, lol.

We gobbled that patty melt up - it was DELISH, as well as being our first real meal since lunch at T-Rex the previous afternoon. And soon it was time to decide on our dessert…

I really wanted the No Way Jose (this is a chocolate and peanut butter sundae - served with HOT peanut butter sauce), but Poot didn’t fancy it, so instead we ordered the Fudge Mudslide.

This was a big deal for our little family, as Poot had some pretty serious sensory issues when he was small, and wasn’t able to eat ice cream until he was about eight. This would be his first ever sundae.

So even though it probably seems like a small thing to most people, I can’t explain how happy I was to see this face:

The Fudge Mudslide: a gooey, chewy brownie covered with hot fudge, three scoops of vanilla ice cream, oreo cookies, whipped cream, topped with a cherry ($9).

We swapped the vanilla ice cream for cookies and cream - because vanilla ice cream? No.

And our waitress had obviously heard our debate about the No Way Jose, because she also brought me this:

For your mama,” said she, to Poot. Oh, this was so nice!

Does anybody know, is this just American-style (like “Skippy”) peanut butter that’s been warmed up? ‘Cause we can buy Skippy at our nearest Tesco...

I got exactly one spoonful of that peanut butter sauce - once Poot tried it, it never reappeared on my side of the table. So next time I know we can order the No Way Jose. Woo-hoo!

We couldn’t finish the sundae. Even hungry, and having shared our main - we couldn’t finish it. I think it would have been the perfect size if R.C. had been with us, though.

The bill was around $30 - I tipped the waitress 20% plus whatever change rounded up to the next dollar. She wasn’t overly friendly by any means, but she was very efficient and really paid attention to our desires. Thumbs up.

One thing about our visit to Beaches and Cream was a bit funny. By the time we finished our patty melt, there were about six families in the restaurant, and for EVERY group but ours, there had been this:

And sirens, too.

I thought we were going to see the “Kitchen Sink” - but nope!

EVERY SINGLE TIME, it was to say, “Every day’s a celebration here at Walt Disney World - but today is EXTRA special for Bill and Mary - it’s their 25th Wedding Anniversary!”. Cue clapping from all the other guests. I think there were two anniversaries, two birthdays and a family reunion in the restaurant.

But no one clapped for us...

Our lunch cost $37. And that was for a shared main, a sundae, one soft drink and the tip. That’s a lot of money. A family of four could EASILY drop $100 here.

I wanted Poot to have the experience of it - and I do love the little touches - the free jukebox, sodas with syrups, etc...but even with two courses to eat we were out the door in under an hour...so be aware of that.

Today was Halloween - if you're interested in what happens at one of the Disney hotel "Halloween Parties" - then...

Day 4 (Beaches and Cream and Halloween at Port Orleans French Quarter) is Here

Edited at 12:17 PM.
Old 14 Jan 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

Oh my that sundae looks amazing!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by pinktraceb View Post
Oh my that sundae looks amazing!
It was the size of my DS' head!

I think for kids the whole "over the top" thing is one of the best parts of an American holiday. I was hoping we'd get to see a Kitchen Sink served up. Guess we'll have to try again...

Thanks for commenting.
Old 16 Jan 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I LOVE patty melts! Was so happy when I went to 7Bone Burger Co in Bournemouth and discovered that they do a GREAT one! So if you're ever near Bournemouth, Southampton or Camberley (their other two locations), maybe give them a try!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List