Notices

Old 6 Jun 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

The trip of contrasts - NYC and DC. August 2017

After returning from a fantastic week in Los Angeles in February the holiday blues quickly started and we all know the best way to beat those feelings is to get something else booked!

Background

The plan pretty much explains why this trip is about contrasts... my DH loves WWE wrestling so we'll be seeing 4 shows and lots of sights. I don't mind WWE either and we've been lucky enough to travel to America 6 times to see their shows. We missed Wrestlemania in Orlando this year so I started to price up flights to NYC for their 2nd biggest show of the year; Summerslam. We've been to New York a few times before and decided we wanted to visit somewhere else as well so we decided on Washington DC. We've been to Washington before but only for 1 night and always said we'd like to go back to visit the museums and do some more sightseeing. That's why it's such a contrast - from WWE wrestling to museums and monuments.

The cast

I'm Beth, 30 something(!) . I love holidays; especially planning holidays and have a special passion for Disney.

My DH is Jack, another 30 something. Jack enjoys sport, any sport - football, cricket, rugby, baseball, he's not fussy. In the same way as some people watch soaps, Jack watches WWE.

The plan

We fly to New York from Birmingham on Friday 18th August via Brussels with Brussels Air and fly back from Dulles via Frankfurt with Lufthansa. We always pay a premium for going on holidays during school holidays but I think we got an absolute bargain on the flights - £350 each!

5 nights in New York, staying at Life Hotel close to Macy's. We stayed here before when it was called Herald Square Hotel and it's been/being refurbished at the moment. It looks like it's going to be fancy when it's complete. I did umm and argh about hotels and booked a few through booking.com before I found a good price for Life. We've paid £704 for 5 nights (inc. taxes).

I've booked the Amtrack from New York to Washington on Wednesday 23rd August. I'm quite excited by this.

4 nights in Washington DC, staying at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge. I've paid $475 for 4 nights here. It's just outside of the centre of Washington and we're planning on using public transport to get into the main tourist area and we'll walk to Georgetown.

Activities

New York. I've been reading lots of trip reports for ideas on activities that we haven't done before. The wrestling will be taking up most evenings so these will be day time activities.

One World Trade Center - this wasn't open the last time we went.
Statue of Liberty Crown - I've got the earliest available tickets so hopefully it won't be too hot
Walk the Highline
Brunch at Heartlands Brewery
Day trip to Coney Island
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

I promise I won't bore you with too many details about the wrestling as I know it's a niche interest but we'll be going to 4 WWE events at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn; NXT, Summerslam, Raw and Smackdown.

Washington DC. Last time we went we walked to the White House and then did a 3 hour Segway tour. That was an excellent way to see the sights but this time we want to see a bit more.

Capitol Building tour
Pentagon Tour and memorial
Air and Space Museum
Natural History Museum
Georgetown

At the time of writing it's 74 until we go and there's not really that much left to plan and book. I think restaurant and food research is next for my planning.
I'm off to google Panda Express locations - I'm having orange chicken withdrawal symptoms

Edited at 09:19 PM.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sounds greta we are staying at the same hotel in Washington so hope to hear a good report! We have 4 nights in NY and 3 in Washington. Just trying to prioritise what we will see as there won't be time for everything.

Love Panda Express too!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 17, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Looks like a fab trip! I love NY but have never been to Washington!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Ooh, a fellow DC'er for the summer!

We're there for 3 nights in August (a bit before you). I know we want to visit a couple of museums (and the see White House, Capitol and Memorials) but apart from that I'm not too sure!
Old 1 Jul 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
Sounds greta we are staying at the same hotel in Washington so hope to hear a good report! We have 4 nights in NY and 3 in Washington. Just trying to prioritise what we will see as there won't be time for everything.

Love Panda Express too!
The more I read about Washington the more I think we could spend 2 weeks there!

I'll let you know about the hotel, it's getting mixed reviews on TA but I take those with a pinch of salt, as long as it's clean and close to transport links then it'll do us.

Panda Express orange chicken... I can't wait!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Looks like a fab trip! I love NY but have never been to Washington!
Thanks you. I'm getting much more excited as it's getting closer.
Old 1 Jul 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Ooh, a fellow DC'er for the summer!

We're there for 3 nights in August (a bit before you). I know we want to visit a couple of museums (and the see White House, Capitol and Memorials) but apart from that I'm not too sure!
Hello fellow DC'er

Have you applied for a tour of the Capitol Building? It's stunning from the outside so I'm excited to see the inside. The tour is free and I've read it's best to book in advance, I booked ours a few weeks ago.

Which museums are you visiting? There are so many it's hard to decide.
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald88
Imagineer

Your plan sounds amazing we are going to DC on 21st August we got a bargain on the flights too £301pp and the hotel was a steal too! We are doing a tour of Capitol Hill and visiting Georgetown this time too. Hubby wants to do the other air and space museum out by the airport but I think it's a bit more difficult to get too we will see. Happy planning
macdonald88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyMolzeza
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Great thread, off to NYC for 5 days next Sat, then Amtrak to DC for 3 before travelling back for last day in NYC. Hubby wanted to do DC the more I read the better it looks. Wanted to do a Segway tour but my kids are under 16, maybe next time🙃. Have a great trip.
MickeyMolzeza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

It sounds fantastic. Hope you are having a brilliant time.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List