Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Feb 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fabulous
Excited about Disney

Using Avios on a package Holiday with BA

I have 19500 points. I have booked flights and accommodation with BA. What could I realistically use these points for? There are 4 adults and one child aged 12 travelling. Could I use them for a reduction on price? I think the website says 17000 points gets a reduction of 128pp. Does this sound correct? Is this just on flights or can I use it for a package if I phone up?
Would there be enough to upgrade the flight? We are flying AA through BA on the way over so may not be worth upgrading the flight.
Thanks for the help.
Christmas 2017 (Let's try Disney this time) Rosen Inn @Pointe Orlando
fabulous is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

There is no way 17k avios would get you £128 per person off the cost of your booking. Even using part pay with avios of standard bookings you are only looking at between 0.55p and 0.8p per point, at best you may get this discount for one person.

Again your points would be insufficient for an upgrade for even one person.

As you are flying BA you will gain extra avios for the flights. Do you have a household account? If not consider this and perhaps keep your points to book a RFS to somewhere later in the year, or use for a quick internal US flight? See flyertalk or headforpoints for more detail.

Edited at 11:00 PM.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
fabulous
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
There is no way 17k avios would get you £128 per person off the cost of your booking. Even using part pay with avios of standard bookings you are only looking at between 0.55p and 0.8p per point, at best you may get this discount for one person.

Again your points would be insufficient for an upgrade for even one person.

As you are flying BA you will gain extra avios for the flights. Do you have a household account? If not consider this and perhaps keep your points to book a RFS to somewhere later in the year, or use for a quick internal US flight? See flyertalk or headforpoints for more detail.
The below picture is showing how to use Avios as part payment.

Edited at 11:10 PM.
fabulous is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fabulous
Excited about Disney

I think it may be 128e total off the cost of the holiday if I use the points.
Old 15 Feb 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fabulous View Post
I don't think you can use Avios as part payment on BA holidays; you can use them as part payment when you book flights or a car as separate items but not when you book a holiday, i.e., flight & hotel or flight & car; just checked the BA site; part payment can be used on BA flights only.
I also think that most WT flights can't be upgraded using avios; only cash.
If you have upgradable tickets, there needs to be reward seat availability on your flight in the cabin you want to move up to.
I could be wrong though; as said above, the HeadforPoints site is great for info.

Edited at 11:39 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Going by the image you posted above it is 17000 Avios/128€ per person. We used Avios points on our flight booking and saved £400 by using 68000 Avios. That equates to 17000Avios/£100 per person. I'm not sure about using them on a package though as it was flight only we booked. When we booked last September they couldn't be used to part pay a flydrive. We have previously used Avios to pay for a night at a Universal hotel.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don't think you can use AVIOS towards a holiday... I migh be wrong but I have 24000 and tried it the other day when pricing up but it would only allow me to use them when booking a hotel or flight only. I have enough to pay for a night in Miami as we will probably fly there again so it all helps. I actually booked flights to Tenerife the other day for my parents, 19000 avios got £140'off the flights.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

I have used points towards flights in the past or hotels, but was told they can't be used for packages and you need a huge amount for an upgrade. I think they can be put towards car hire? If you've booked through BA holidays, and it is linked to your BA Exec, you should get extra points when you have actually taken the holiday. No harm in saving them for something in the UK?
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
fabulous
Excited about Disney

Thanks all. I have signed up for a household account but the website wont let me add the details for my husband and son to claim the points through manage my booking. Anybody help with this?
Old 16 Feb 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fabulous
Excited about Disney

Thanks all. I have signed up for a household account but the website wont let me add the details for my husband and son to claim the points through manage my booking. Anybody help with this?
Fixed it eventually.