Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jun 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
We have a booked a 2 week stay for May 2017. Our first week will be onsite at Disney and for our second week we will be staying at Rosen inn @ pointe, around the centre of international drive.

We aren't driving. We are using the Magic express to get to the Disney hotel. Using Disney buses to get to the different Disney parks and then using an uber to get to international drive for our second week. During our second week we will use uber to get to universal. We have a transfer booked to get to the airport when we leave.

Have a read of some of the trip reports where people didn't drive, im finding those so useful!
Gosh sorry I thought I had replied to these! Thank you I will have a little look for some trippies without cars x

Originally Posted by beegnjasmum View Post
We did exactly this in October. Came out of airport and straight to taxi rank. Straight into taxi to HRH. 3 days later reception called us a cab to take us to POR. We then linked up to uber and used it 4 or 5 times including trip to walmart, shopping malls etc. Really did not miss the car. The disney buses were brilliant and at HRH we walked or used the wee boat. Made for a much more relaxing holiday in my opinion.
Ps I had priced up pre booking a mears cab from the airport and I think it was actually more expensive than the one we picked up at the taxi rank. Not by a lot though.
We got the ME back to the airport from POR.
Hope that helps : )
That's really helpful thank you very much! Good to know it was more relaxing too x

Originally Posted by lovemickey View Post
We're doing 5 nights at universal at the start of our stay and have booked a private transfer with quicksilver, they have been great with any questions we've asked. We plan to get an uber when we move to Disney. And you can book the magical express one way as we have booked ours for the return journey. There is a link on the dibb somewhere that you can book it with.
That's great to know thank you! Perfect! x

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
If you happened to want a car you could use caronthedrive Ive read about them in a few trippies, but assuming you're happy without so transfer to universal, uber between would be nice and easy then ME back? X
We have used COTD our past couple of trips but are trying to go sans car and save a few ££££ this year Uber is a good shout. Only thing would be making sure I have wifi I guess? Thank you! x

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We don't drive - you can check out our trippies!

We went before Uber was a thing in Orlando so only have experience of Mears.

First trip, we stayed at POR, and used Mears shared shuttle to go to Seaworld and Universal for day trips. I think it's now $20 return per person, so for the two of us it was cheaper than a taxi. However, not sure whether the price is the same for children, so with the four of you a taxi would probably work out cheaper than a shared shuttle - and an Uber would be cheaper again.

Second trip, we stayed 2 nights at Portofino Bay in the middle of our SSR stay. So that meant we used the Magic Express both ways. However, we couldn't do the Mears shared shuttle as that doesn't start till 8am, and we wanted to check in early to do early entry. So we booked a taxi the night before. It arrived at 6am outside our building (Congress Park) and took about 20 minutes to get to Portofino Bay and I think cost $35. We checked in, got our early entry passes sorted and took our case to our room, which was ready. (We could have left it with concierge otherwise.) Then grabbed something from Starbucks, went over to the park and were in the queue 7.45am for early opening.

We stayed two nights, and on our last day we just grabbed a taxi from outside Portofino Bay. However, with hindsight we should have asked him to drop us at Marketplace at DS. He didn't have a clue about where SSR was, and when we got through the gate, half the roads were closed, there were bollards everywhere and a dirty great JCB on the lawn! (I don't know, you turn your back for two nights...) So he couldn't find the way round to Congress Park very easily, and we ended up paying $45 which was annoying. If he had just gone to Marketplace we could have walked over the bridge and been back in our room in 10 minutes.

Doing the stay in the middle of the trip does mean that technically you're paying for two hotel rooms at once. But it also meant we got 3 full days, instead of arriving at Universal in the evening. And it also meant we could use Magic Express both ways.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We don't drive - you can check out our trippies!

We went before Uber was a thing in Orlando so only have experience of Mears.

First trip, we stayed at POR, and used Mears shared shuttle to go to Seaworld and Universal for day trips. I think it's now $20 return per person, so for the two of us it was cheaper than a taxi. However, not sure whether the price is the same for children, so with the four of you a taxi would probably work out cheaper than a shared shuttle - and an Uber would be cheaper again.

Second trip, we stayed 2 nights at Portofino Bay in the middle of our SSR stay. So that meant we used the Magic Express both ways. However, we couldn't do the Mears shared shuttle as that doesn't start till 8am, and we wanted to check in early to do early entry. So we booked a taxi the night before. It arrived at 6am outside our building (Congress Park) and took about 20 minutes to get to Portofino Bay and I think cost $35. We checked in, got our early entry passes sorted and took our case to our room, which was ready. (We could have left it with concierge otherwise.) Then grabbed something from Starbucks, went over to the park and were in the queue 7.45am for early opening.

We stayed two nights, and on our last day we just grabbed a taxi from outside Portofino Bay. However, with hindsight we should have asked him to drop us at Marketplace at DS. He didn't have a clue about where SSR was, and when we got through the gate, half the roads were closed, there were bollards everywhere and a dirty great JCB on the lawn! (I don't know, you turn your back for two nights...) So he couldn't find the way round to Congress Park very easily, and we ended up paying $45 which was annoying. If he had just gone to Marketplace we could have walked over the bridge and been back in our room in 10 minutes.

Doing the stay in the middle of the trip does mean that technically you're paying for two hotel rooms at once. But it also meant we got 3 full days, instead of arriving at Universal in the evening. And it also meant we could use Magic Express both ways.
Wow thank you for your reply! That's really helpful It's good to know it seems to be very easy without a car! x

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List