Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 17, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Road trippers...

It's official, I've paid our flights and car hire and our countdown is getting lower. I'm Excited beyond belief.
So, what one tip would you give or liked to have known before you embarked on your Cali road trip?
Hubby is doing all the driving but I'm doing all the planning. He'll probably look at it all the day before
Thanks
Old 13 Jul 17, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi Tinytots
We're going on our first California road trip this August & the planning has been long but I've loved it. EDIT - just seen you going soon! Not sure if my reply any help ...
Couple of thoughts - minimum 2 nights each hotel otherwise you don't get to see where you stay. 2 nights stop still only means 1 full day.
Get a big map, photocopy it, get busy with colour dots & highlighters - try out different routes. Google maps to plot how long drive between each stop. We've kept all drives to under 4 hours.
Book cancellable rates where you can - I've cancelled & re-booked some of our hotels.
If going to Yosemite or Grand Canyon bookings open (& then get fully booked REALLY quickly) 1 year out.
Last tip - ask loads of questions on here - helped me lots & if you are on Facebook "California dreamers & west coast wanderers" friendly helpful group of people
Happy planning
Laura

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Frankie & gang is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hmm not so sure at that fb group .. Admin are awful imo .

Done many road trips now and my biggest tip is dont rely on google maps for times they are rarely ever right with most journeys taking far long . We do Vegas to Goodyear Arizona every year google say something like 4hr20 min we've never done it in less than 5.5 hrs driving .

Packing cubes make life easier when your on the move a lot . Saves having to unpack and repack so save us a fair bit of time . Wouldn't travel without them now .
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Hmm not so sure at that fb group .. Admin are awful imo - ... I've never had a problem with that page, whereas Trip Advisor! Obviously The Dibb is the best

Packing cubes make life easier when your on the move a lot . Saves having to unpack and repack so save us a fair bit of time . Wouldn't travel without them now .
... Trying packing cubes for the first time, I think they'll be great!

Edited at 08:32 AM.
Frankie & gang is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tracynoe
Excited about Disney

Packing Cubes!

I questioned the concept on here , just seemed like bags in bags to me. Everyone insisted they were so useful so I bit the bullet.
So glad I did, made short stays so easy. Everything was kept neat tidy and I didn't iron anything at all. I'm sure if we was just living out of suitcases it would have ended up a big mess
tracynoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi what's your route and how many days have you planned
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. I guess packing cubes needs to be on my list, especially as we have some night stopovers.
Unforntuatley, we changed our plans and now don't have any 2 night stops but we are fully aware of this and that we won't get to 'see' much if any of where we are staying-thats fine. They are literally that, just stopovers. This the 3 nights I'm not looking forward to but Hubby wanted to squeeze in San Diego so we had to ditch the 2 night stopovers.

jdouds, our route is:
4 nights San Francisco
1 night Monterey
1 night Solvang
1 night Loews Hollywood Hotel in LA
3 nights Coronado/San Diego
4 nights Vegas.

LA, I know most people say a few days but honestly Im only going there for my Teen to get selfies etc.. at the walk of fame and the Hollywood sign. We have a private tour booked for late afternoon/ evening we get there, so will get our LA pics and be done with it. ( Can you tell Im not bothered about LA)

Daytonababe- yes I remember you mentioning on here Google maps before and the underestimation of timings. Im adding an hour or so onto everything but know it could be a a couple. The drive from Coronado to Vegas will be the hardest/longest. Still contemplating flying but hubby really wants to drive !
Old 13 Jul 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Thanks everyone. I guess packing cubes needs to be on my list, especially as we have some night stopovers.
Unforntuatley, we changed our plans and now don't have any 2 night stops but we are fully aware of this and that we won't get to 'see' much if any of where we are staying-thats fine. They are literally that, just stopovers. This the 3 nights I'm not looking forward to but Hubby wanted to squeeze in San Diego so we had to ditch the 2 night stopovers.

jdouds, our route is:
4 nights San Francisco
1 night Monterey
1 night Solvang
1 night Loews Hollywood Hotel in LA
3 nights Coronado/San Diego
4 nights Vegas.

LA, I know most people say a few days but honestly Im only going there for my Teen to get selfies etc.. at the walk of fame and the Hollywood sign. We have a private tour booked for late afternoon/ evening we get there, so will get our LA pics and be done with it. ( Can you tell Im not bothered about LA)

Daytonababe- yes I remember you mentioning on here Google maps before and the underestimation of timings. Im adding an hour or so onto everything but know it could be a a couple. The drive from Coronado to Vegas will be the hardest/longest. Still contemplating flying but hubby really wants to drive !
Wise choice about LA imo.. better places to spend your time..

I think google works on perfect road conditions/speeds etc and we all know its rarely like that.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List