Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Jul 17, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

Mobile Alamo - why aren't breakdowns and tires covered automatically?

Out here at the moment and have a rental package through Alamo brits. Reading about others who have had flat tyres etc I looked at my agreement to see if anything was written about roadside assistance.
I appear to have not taken this insurance which is making anxious now in case I break down. Should I have taken this option? I wasn't offered it at the desk and have always been told not to take extra insurance they push anyway. What would happen if we got a flat tyre or broke down? Big bill?
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Breakdown cover is included so should the vehicle breakdown through mechanical defect, call Alamo and they'll send a replacement out to you.

The things which are not covered are things like punctures, lost / locked in car keys, damage to windscreen. Alamo offer an additional insurance to cover these at circa $6 a day however its much cheaper to get it through a company like enhancedroadsideassistance/. You'd still call Alamo and potentially get billed by Alamo but you would claim it back from the insurance company.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Totally agree with Andy ref breakdowns.
As for punctures, is any one in your party capable of changing a tyre, like you would do at home?.
If the car has no spare, and the foam repair doesn't work, then Alamo would be getting a call from me as the vehicle was not suitably kitted to handle a flat tyre.
But don't worry, as nothing will happen to you
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I got a flat returning to MCO and there was no time for any replacement vehicle. So had to put the spare on but it had hardly any air in it and getting it pumped up made us late back to the airport.

Had the usual Alamo basic insurance.There was also a ding in one door (thanks to a dozy old geezer in the AK parking lot) The Alamo manager in the garage would have refunded my rental had it not been prepaid so I had the value in vouchers instead.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Last time we got a flat tire warning light come on as we were leaving parking at MK, drove into the alamo depot there and they swapped the car.

Didn't take any additional insurance, no questions asked, new car in 15 mins.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Last time we got a flat tire warning light come on as we were leaving parking at MK, drove into the alamo depot there and they swapped the car.

Didn't take any additional insurance, no questions asked, new car in 15 mins.
Sounds like me last Summer. Nice Lincoln and warning light came on.
Swapped it at the Car Care Centre for a Cadillac and darn me a day later that also had a tire warning light. I just got the Guys at the CCC to pump it up a few days later as I could tell it wasn't that low by the dash display.
Lasted 5 days and by then it was time for the airport run so it was ok. I think it was down to 20 when I dropped it off.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
US192
Very Serious Dibber

That'll be the one I picked up later that day - thanks!