Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jul 14, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
bazz
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Thank you...excellent post, its people like you that make the dibb so useful..
bazz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 14, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
You are right - brokers can be cheaper. But The reason I dont use them is that they work on a very tight margin and can easily go bust - this happened a couple of years ago with one of the biggest ones. People were turning up at the car hire desks after long flights and there was no car for them as it hadn't been paid for by the agents. Getting their money back was a nightmare as insurance companies we're requiring formal letters of insolvency which they wouldn't supply.
This is unlikely to happen with the actual car hire companies themselves.
In about the last 15 hires I have done - alamo brits has come put cheapest every single time.
So for me, there is a big difference between agents and the actual hire companies. Also I generally don t like agents of any kind. They have to be paid. If their prices are cheaper of the same something must be missing - maybe in service - I don't know.
I generally ail only use an agent for car hire ig it is a last minute thing where these is less chance of this happening.

Well that is not nice to hear (your bad experience) but you have to remember it's all about competition.
The prices car rental brokers offer also follows such trend. However because a broker first rents large volume of rental cars from the suppliers, the prices it gets are much lower than what a customer can get. As a result it is able to offer customers cheaper rates. Very importantly, cheaper doesn’t mean the quality is any lower, because you still have the car from suppliers like Hertz, Avis, Alamo, etc.

Plenty of us have used these car hire companies and brokers MANY, MANY times and NOT one of them are perfect. There is always going to be someone who runs into a problem while others have had nothing but good experiences.

If you want to rent through the main website that is your choice but don't try to scare people into thinking if they book thru Auto Europe, Usrentacar etc that they could not get a car when they show up! It's stressful enough trying to plan and make sure everything goes ok for our holidays...last thing a person needs to worry if they have a car when they show up. This isn't Spain!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 14, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nordictat2girl View Post
Well that is not nice to hear (your bad experience) but you have to remember it's all about competition.
The prices car rental brokers offer also follows such trend. However because a broker first rents large volume of rental cars from the suppliers, the prices it gets are much lower than what a customer can get. As a result it is able to offer customers cheaper rates. Very importantly, cheaper doesn’t mean the quality is any lower, because you still have the car from suppliers like Hertz, Avis, Alamo, etc.

Plenty of us have used these car hire companies and brokers MANY, MANY times and NOT one of them are perfect. There is always going to be someone who runs into a problem while others have had nothing but good experiences.

If you want to rent through the main website that is your choice but don't try to scare people into thinking if they book thru Auto Europe, Usrentacar etc that they could not get a car when they show up! It's stressful enough trying to plan and make sure everything goes ok for our holidays...last thing a person needs to worry if they have a car when they show up. This isn't Spain!
The only point I am making is that they are different. That is a fact. Major agents have gone bust. Thats a fact.
Not trying to scare at all.
Not sure why people always use the "scare" term when facts and reality is pointed out. It's about risk and it is best that people understand those risks on all aspects of holiday planning then they can make informed decisions.
Is providing information, reasoning and experience not part of what this forum is about?
All I was doing was making a suggestion that I thought might be useful for some people.

PS - it was one of the biggest agents around and affected thousands of people. Not some tiny company.

Edited at 05:09 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 14, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

I understand your point but if someone really has an issue and or question before they book...they can always start a thread like most people do on here.
I only supplied some info. regarding car hire because people often ask where people book.
Start your own post if you have such an issue with the way I do things but I am not going to keep going back and forth with you because you don't like booking with brokers. So kindly stop.

Edited at 05:27 PM.
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 14, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

*Bumping*

Oh and thanks for the kind words Bazz. ;-)
Old 23 Jul 14, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post

It is a job well done nordictat2girl - seriously - as there's always loads of questions on theDIBB about car hire

It should be made a sticky by the mods

You have my number 1 vote

Jim
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nordictat2girl View Post
I understand your point but if someone really has an issue and or question before they book...they can always start a thread like most people do on here.
I only supplied some info. regarding car hire because people often ask where people book.
Start your own post if you have such an issue with the way I do things but I am not going to keep going back and forth with you because you don't like booking with brokers. So kindly stop.
I only made what thought might be a useful suggestion and the reasons why.
Not sure why you took the strops.
You posted on a public forum for discussion and sharing experiences. So thats what you get - discussion.

Here we go (I took the liberty of adding a few more in)- Maybe some others will find the split useful.

Car hire Companies:
alamo/brits
avis
budget
easycar
dollar
hertz
sixt
thrifty
nationalcar

Third Party Agents
skyscanner/carhire
travelsupermarket/c/cheap-car-hire
uscarhire
uscarhire/
vroomvroomvroom
holidayautos
kayak/cars
rentalcars
rhinocarhire
economycarrentals
autoeurope
booking.carrental8/en
carrentals
cartrawler/confused

Edited at 12:49 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louli View Post
It is a job well done nordictat2girl - seriously - as there's always loads of questions on theDIBB about car hire

It should be made a sticky by the mods

You have my number 1 vote

Jim
Thanks for the kind words Jim. Atleast you're more possitive and not nitpicking heh
Old 24 Jul 14, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Updated post with pics of car/suv boots (see first post)
Old 24 Jul 14, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Great update nordictat2girl

Hope the omnipotent mods will make this thread or the info in it a sticky
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List