Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 Jul 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Edam1975
Imagineer

Champions Gate/West Haven/Windwood Bay

Hi

In our last few trips we have stayed at Emerald Island/Formosa Gardens and have always said that we would only ever stay in this area due how close it is to Disney and restaurants on the 192.

However we have seen a few villas we like in Champions Gate/West Haven/Windwood Bay.

Has anyone stayed at these? What are these resorts like? How long does it take to get to Disney and the restaurants on the 192? Do you always use the I-4 to get to Disney and the 192 or can you use Old Lake Wilson Road?

Thanks! x

1986 - Howard Johnsons / 1989 - Quality Inn / 1994 - All Star Sports / 2005 - Tuscan Hills / 2011 - Cumbrian Lakes / 2012 - Lindfields / 2014 - Formosa Gardens / 2014 - Emerald Island / 2016 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2018 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2022 - Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Monterey, Morro Bay, LA, Disneyland (Grand Californian), San Diego / 2023 - Grand Floridian, Anna Maria Island, RPR
Edam1975 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm interested in people's opinion on this too as we are staying in west haven, from what I gather Disney can be anything over 30 min drive depending on traffic.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

We stayed at the next community from Windwood Bay this year. We used both the I4 and Old Lake Wilson Road to get to Disney. One of the days we went to MK we were at the TTC (having parked and got the tram) just 25 minutes from leaving the villa going the I4. It took less than 20 mins to get to AK using OLWR and then Sherberth Rd.There are also restaurants at Champions Gate if you don't want to drive up to the 192 for dinner. Millers Ale House was a favourite with my kids. Sorry I can't be more help with the communities you've asked about but the one we were in was very peaceful. Hope that helps.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Thousand Oaks
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
From Champions Gate area Disney is 15-20 minutes along the I4 without traffic, but there is another road, avoiding the I4 that takes you there in 15-20 mins (Old Lake Wilson Road, 192 then Sherberth Road)
Thousand Oaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

I'll comment for West Haven as I stay there almost every year.

There is a clubhouse that has a large communal pool, tennis courts, volleyball and a small gym. This doesn't seem to be used very often as nearly all the homes have their own pool and many of the rental villas have a games room etc. that keeps everyone busy.

You could take Old Lake Wilson Road if you wish or the 27 to the 192. Personally, I like the short trip on the I4 to the 429 toll road and then take that to the 192. It brings you out beside all the restuarants at Rolling Oaks.

The stretch of the I4 from Disney to the championsgate exit can get extremely busy at times so it's nice having a few options but at rush hour all these routes are busy. As for going to Disney the I4 is fine. I've never encountered total grid lock during the morning drive to Disney. That normally happens further up the I4 past all the Disney exits.

The championsgate area contines to develop and more restuarants are opening up around the Publix all the time which is only a couple of minutes from West Haven so that could save you the drive to the 192 a few times.

It's also good access to Posner Park down the 27 although we have been taking Pine Tree Trail and Ernie Caldwell Blvd to travel to Posner as it's much quieter than the 27 and there is less traffic lights to navigate through.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Edam1975
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. All very useful. It does seem you get more villa for your money than the Formosa area.

1986 - Howard Johnsons / 1989 - Quality Inn / 1994 - All Star Sports / 2005 - Tuscan Hills / 2011 - Cumbrian Lakes / 2012 - Lindfields / 2014 - Formosa Gardens / 2014 - Emerald Island / 2016 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2018 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2022 - Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Monterey, Morro Bay, LA, Disneyland (Grand Californian), San Diego / 2023 - Grand Floridian, Anna Maria Island, RPR
Edam1975 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
The champions Gate area has great access to all the major routes and as you have seen from the other posters traveling times are pretty good, there is a good choice of places to eat plus a choice of 2 publix super markets, the area is close enough to everything but also nice and quiet for when you want a chill out day by the pool.

Have fun choosing were to stay.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Edam1975
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve@mac155.f View Post
The champions Gate area has great access to all the major routes and as you have seen from the other posters traveling times are pretty good, there is a good choice of places to eat plus a choice of 2 publix super markets, the area is close enough to everything but also nice and quiet for when you want a chill out day by the pool.

Have fun choosing were to stay.

Steve
Thank you. I've been looking at your villa but it's not available on our dates. Just want to say your website is great!

Old 19 Jul 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bolton
slightly serious Dibber

I will also say the same as Steve with regards to the area it has been expanding over the last 12 months with new restaurants in the area. Easy drive up Old Lake Wilson to Disney as well.
bolton is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ros & Jim
Imagineer

The Champions Gate area is really developing and you would hardly recognize it from a few years ago. The number of dining choices has increased with even more in the pipeline. As already mentioned, there are various routes to get to Disney so your choice may depend on the time of day you travel. As have been said, close enough to everything but for enough away to chill out and relax away from the hustle and bustle.