Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jul 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

San Francisco weather in August

What clothes will we need in August? Are we talking coats? Or just shorts / tshirts with a hoodie.
We are doing Alcatraz night tour, will a coat be needed?

Starting to think about our road trip and realised its going to be more complicated than the norm. Visiting San Francisco, LA, Corondo and then Vegas. So Vegas is easy, it will be roasting. It's SF I'm not sure what to pack for.
Thanks
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellas
Very Serious Dibber

We went at the beginning of September last year. First day was lovely approx 21 degrees second day was foggy and damp and very chilly!. We did the night tour of Alcatraz. I had a hoody on and just a t- shirt underneath and I was frozen to the core. So much so that we ended up coming back early, and wasn't as enjoyable as I hoped.

San Francisco has very changeable weather so on hindsight should have worn a few layers. The next day was beautiful though so you can never tell. Enjoy!.
Cinderellas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Minion71
Getting Excited

It can be several seasons in one day in San Francisco even in August - last year we did have some days where there was glorious sunshine - but at no time did i venture out without a hoodie - occasionally i took it off but more often than not i wore it. No shorts for us - the extremes of temperature really are extreme. We wore jeans every day - i can't recall wearing any shorts. There were days when we needed light weight coats - when on the water either over to Alcatraz or if you are Whale watching. Don't be that tourist that freezes. The cool air surely does come in from the bay - you will be grateful of layers. That said the only time we had coats on was on the boat - oh and on the fire engine across the bay - boy was that wind chilly.
Minion71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Thanks for replies. Sounds like coats, layers and jeans a must then. Thank you. Good job We have a good luggage allowance lol
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cinderellas View Post
We went at the beginning of September last year. First day was lovely approx 21 degrees second day was foggy and damp and very chilly!. We did the night tour of Alcatraz. I had a hoody on and just a t- shirt underneath and I was frozen to the core. So much so that we ended up coming back early, and wasn't as enjoyable as I hoped.

San Francisco has very changeable weather so on hindsight should have worn a few layers. The next day was beautiful though so you can never tell. Enjoy!.
Sorry to hear Alcatraz wasn't that enjoyable. I'm the same, if I get cold, I cannot enjoy anything. So will make sure coats and layers are ready for our Alcatraz tour as it's the thing we are looking forward to the most.
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

We are doing Alcatraz on 11th sept,the tips we got about this was if you are going at night you deffo would need cardigan/hoody as it can get quite cold,having never been before please don't take this as gospel, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BONDY LAD View Post
We are doing Alcatraz on 11th sept,the tips we got about this was if you are going at night you deffo would need cardigan/hoody as it can get quite cold,having never been before please don't take this as gospel, bondy.
We did the night tour at the end of July last year, I wore jeans, tshirt and two thick hoodies! I got some strange looks but did care as I was lovely and warm
Carolynne
Old 20 Jul 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Jeans and a T-shirt with a zip up hoody for us .
I'm really glad I had jeans as man it gets cold in the morning and evening !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by carolynne67 View Post
We did the night tour at the end of July last year, I wore jeans, tshirt and two thick hoodies! I got some strange looks but did care as I was lovely and warm
Carolynne
That will be me too, with my bobble hat Aswell. I feel the cold really easily.
Old 21 Jul 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

We didn't need coats but defiantly a hoodie/jumpers and jeans. It's usually cool until around 11am when the fog tends to burn off but then comes back in later on. If your going to Yosemite you will find that can be chilly at night but then really hot during the day.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List