Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Aug 09, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzyc
Imagineer

Evening meals on DCL

I managed to find a link to the menus in all restaurants on the Disney Wonder, and the food all seems a bit...fussy (can't think of a better word). I could pick plenty from the lists for myself but my two kids (who will be 14 and 11 when we hoepfully go) had a look and said they didn't like anything apart from the desserts!

Can you not order plain and simple food, for example half a chicken & chips or a lasagne? I'm sure they have a kids menu but mine will be too old for that. They both said they would rather eat in the snack bars where they can get burgers & hot-dogs but I would like to have a nice evening meal & get to experience their different dining options. I'm a single parent so I don't want to eat on my own, do they have any other options?

Too many holidays to list! 5 times in Orlando, also done plenty of Caribbean trips & newly converted to cruises (next ones planned for March 2019 & August 2019)
dizzyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 09, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you can order a steak but have not seen lasagne or anything , the food is superb in the dining rooms though
Baz
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 09, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzyc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryk1 View Post
I think you can order a steak but have not seen lasagne or anything , the food is superb in the dining rooms though
Baz
From the pics I've seen it does look superb but I'm afraid it'll be wasted on my kids. Most of the meals we eat at home need to be pricked with a fork then bunged in the microwave I've found a site which has loads of trip reports and reviews of the food so I will keep reading & see if I can find out any more. Thanks for the info

Too many holidays to list! 5 times in Orlando, also done plenty of Caribbean trips & newly converted to cruises (next ones planned for March 2019 & August 2019)
dizzyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 09, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

You'll normally find your servers will be very accommodating with kids (and adults) and they will probably serve them pretty well anything they want, or any variation off the menu.

Its not unknown for servers to bring kids burger & chips etc down from the snack bars on the pool deck ... don't forget they are relying on your tips as part of their wage !

Also another dining option for evening meal, you might want to consider some (or all) nights, is the self serve buffet on the top deck - very informal and ideally suited to picky eaters - no reservations are required. The food is very good there also. ..its particularly good if you don't want to get stuck in the dining room for 2+ hours.

...that said you should not miss your first visit to Aminator's Palate as there is a particularly good (but subtle) show during dining (this does not happen on your second visit BTW).

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 12:30 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 09, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzyc
Imagineer

That's good to know. I did consider just not eating in the restaurants & getting snacks/room service instead but I think it would be a shame to miss out on the experience - you've put my mind at rest now, thanks. Animator's Palate does look great, and there's a few things on the menu in Parrot Cay I think the kids would eat. I wasn't so fussed on Tritons menu, so maybe we could go for a snack instead that night.

Thanks

Old 29 Aug 09, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post

my children both have special needs and one is a veggie and we found the servers very accomodating, if my little chap just wanted a steak on his plate with no other food touching it then that's exactly what he got

everyone is so professional on the ship my little chap threw up (seasickness) along the entire restuarant entrance did the maitre d bat an eyelid? nope he was great he took it all in his stride and said happens all the time madam i just wanted the floor to open and swallow me up i was so embarrassed the maitre d then arranged to have the rest of my husbands meal sent to his room so he wouldn't miss out we never even thought of that

i would recommend tritons for a brekkie if you miss it for a evening meal as the restaurant itself is so beautiful and a brekkie in here is table service so you order and then sit back and relax
Old 29 Aug 09, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
You can always get a plain steak or chicken breast in the restaurants and they'll accomodate all sorts of requests. The teenager on our table a couple of years ago just asked for pizza every eveing and it wasn't a problem! (he was 17 btw)
Old 29 Aug 09, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzyc
Imagineer

I've been doing a lot of reading this afternoon about the food on DCL - it seems they are happy to accommodate with any special requests. Am I right in saying that if we decide to order room service there is no extra charge? (except a tip of course).

And also I read something about Pirates in the Caribbean night, I saw a menu for this - is the menu in each restaurant on the Pirates night? That menu looked good. Slightly going off topic now but if that's the menu on the Pirates night is there also a buffet that you get later on that night? Saw some pictures of loads of cakes & gateaux and I'm sure it said something about a midnight feast. Can anyone enlighten me?

One final question re food - is the food on Castaway Cay free or do you pay extra? Is it an all you can eat buffet?

I'm going to drive you all mad with my cruise questions sorry

Edited at 06:06 PM.
Old 29 Aug 09, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Hiya

Just been reading your post. My DS didnt hardly eat with us on both our cruises we have been on but this allowed us to have a lovely meal at Palo's which you shouldnt miss if you are into excellent italian food. He loved staying with the kids club and the CM's take them to the Buffet to eat. We are on a 7 night one this time so maybe we may see him more often!

The menu was in each restaurant on POC night. Unfortunately we were on the second sitting and could not face eating the fab buffet which had both savory things and yummy desserts. Last time we went they were playing a Pirates of the Carribean Film on the screen over the pool which was really weird as you realised you could have been in it being in the Carribean. Room Service is free apart from some drinks and they expect a tip. The CC Buffet is excellent and all you can eat. There are soft drink dispensers like at the water parks or a pay bar for cocktails etc.

Hope you have a lovely time.
Old 29 Aug 09, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzyc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jules_c View Post
Hiya

Just been reading your post. My DS didnt hardly eat with us on both our cruises we have been on but this allowed us to have a lovely meal at Palo's which you shouldnt miss if you are into excellent italian food. He loved staying with the kids club and the CM's take them to the Buffet to eat. We are on a 7 night one this time so maybe we may see him more often!

The menu was in each restaurant on POC night. Unfortunately we were on the second sitting and could not face eating the fab buffet which had both savory things and yummy desserts. Last time we went they were playing a Pirates of the Carribean Film on the screen over the pool which was really weird as you realised you could have been in it being in the Carribean. Room Service is free apart from some drinks and they expect a tip. The CC Buffet is excellent and all you can eat. There are soft drink dispensers like at the water parks or a pay bar for cocktails etc.

Hope you have a lovely time.
I won't be able to check out Palo as I'm a single parent & don't fancy sitting in there on my own Glad the CC buffet is all you can eat! I've been reading various sites for the last two hours and I'm a bit more clued up now, thanks for the info.

Closed Thread