Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 16, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Annoys me that everyone gets their knickers in a twist about killer whales at Sea World but is perfectly happy to go to any other zoo/aquarium where animals are kept in captivity in similar/worse conditions but because its Sea World and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

I still wouldn't be seen dead there.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Whilst I'm glad changes are being made, it's still not enough to make me to visit any time soon.
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Glasgow Planner
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Do people boycott EPCOT in the same way as they do SeaWorld?
Glasgow Planner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think it's fantastic news, and very much a step in the right direction to have the programme stopped for all species.

I would have no problem visiting Seaworld (or similar places) if it was to learn / watch the whole rehabilitation side of things. I have no desire what so ever to see animals in captivity for any other reason, and for this reason I don't visit.

Maybe one day SW will be somewhere I can go again
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
And yet its ok to house dolphins at Discovery cove for the enjoyment of humans who turn up to "swim" with them every day.

I wonder if they get much of a choice over this interaction?

Hypercritical?
I was sceptical about this too. When we went in 2011 our dolphin towed a couple of people and then swam off to go and play with a friend. The trainer left him to it which was fine by us. Another came along and whilst I have no idea whether it enjoyed towing us around, I genuinely felt that both really enjoyed interacting. They're very playful and seemed quite cheeky.
I would like to see them have more space though as with all captive animals

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I just wrote my trip report day about SeaWorld saying that this was my wish. Amazing
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

I went to the customer service at Epcot, to share that I love Epcot but find it hard because of the dolphins. She understood my complaint and made a note...
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Great news, lets hope they keep improving now
But we won't go either, been once in 5 visits to Orlando and won't go back till huge improvements are made, but this is a good step ahead I think .

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017

Edited at 02:48 PM.
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Glasgow Planner View Post
Do people boycott EPCOT in the same way as they do SeaWorld?
Of course not, it's a constant source of hypocrisy and double standards on here.

I'm a fan of Seaworld and think this is excellent news, a very good step in the right direction.
As for the Discovery Cove comments, yes the dolphins get a choice whether to interact - we've twice now witnessed a dolphin that chose not to take part and instead followed their favourite trainer around and had fun being mischievous! When we were there last we paddled at the edge of the lagoon and watched them playing and jumping for ages.
Dolphins actively seek out human interaction. I think given the huge amount of conservation, rescue and rehabilitation SW do they get a disproportionate amount of negativity on here compared to the dolphins in Epcot, trapped inside a glass aquarium who never even get to see daylight.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread