Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 16, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Good news for my favourite park, one of the major and most understandable reasons people could boycott it and not other places with animals is now removed. Glad to see they are taking a common sense route, whatever the reasons. Hopefully people will now turn their attention to focusing on smaller and often overlooked parks where animals don't always get the care they need, and seaworld will continue to improve their facilities.

Now I hope their attendances start heading up a little to demonstrate that if they do the right thing for the animals it's not just a moral or PR but a real terms improvement for their company as well as the animals themselves.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Of course not, it's a constant source of hypocrisy and double standards on here.

I'm a fan of Seaworld and think this is excellent news, a very good step in the right direction.
As for the Discovery Cove comments, yes the dolphins get a choice whether to interact - we've twice now witnessed a dolphin that chose not to take part and instead followed their favourite trainer around and had fun being mischievous! When we were there last we paddled at the edge of the lagoon and watched them playing and jumping for ages.
Dolphins actively seek out human interaction. I think given the huge amount of conservation, rescue and rehabilitation SW do they get a disproportionate amount of negativity on here compared to the dolphins in Epcot, trapped inside a glass aquarium who never even get to see daylight.

Ouch

Without getting into a cat fight I choose not to go because hate seeing animals being forced to perform , and kept in small containers it upsets me and my family and that's it.
I've never even noticed dolphins at Epcot must of missed that bit .

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
I think it's fantastic news, and very much a step in the right direction to have the programme stopped for all species.

I would have no problem visiting Seaworld (or similar places) if it was to learn / watch the whole rehabilitation side of things. I have no desire what so ever to see animals in captivity for any other reason, and for this reason I don't visit.

Maybe one day SW will be somewhere I can go again
Same as that , I want to see rehabilitation not shows

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Just read this wasn't planning to go this year but will now buy tickets to see the shows before the cancel them.

I realise it's not very PC these days to like the shows but I have fond memories of Shamu shows throughout the years.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Glasgow Planner
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
Ouch

Without getting into a cat fight I choose not to go because hate seeing animals being forced to perform , and kept in small containers it upsets me and my family and that's it.
I don't believe any animal is forced to perform in SeaWorld if the animal chooses not to they don't force it.

To be clear I wasn't criticising EPCOT as I believe they do a lot of research and also conservation.

I just wondered if the boycott extends to AK, BG and EPCOT.
Glasgow Planner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
Ouch

Whilst I maybe can see why the killer whales might be forced to perform and I'm glad they won't be in the future, I've never seen someone hit, threaten or cajole an animal at seaworld during a show.

Take the sealion show for example. They've been a little ornery, and sometimes made mistakes in the shows, but the trainer has always laughed (along with the audience) and given them a fish anyway.

There was one incident with a giant condor that did NOT want to play, he screeched once and turned round in his box, the trainer shrugged and smiled, and the announcer said that he clearly wasn't in the best of moods today so they'd better give him some rest today. He got some food and was left alone thereafter.

I genuinely think the animals enjoy the shows, or at the least do them without resistance or force.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

This move has been on the cards for a while now. It is obviously a good thing and will hopefully allow Seaworld to continue its research and conservation work. DD wanted to visit last time, but we couldn't squeeze it in. Maybe next year?
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Whilst I maybe can see why the killer whales might be forced to perform and I'm glad they won't be in the future, I've never seen someone hit, threaten or cajole an animal at seaworld during a show.

Take the sealion show for example. They've been a little ornery, and sometimes made mistakes in the shows, but the trainer has always laughed (along with the audience) and given them a fish anyway.

I genuinely think the animals enjoy the shows, or at the least do them without resistance or force.
I think they know that most parents don't really care if the animals perform or not they are just happy to have a sit down somewhere with the kids
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 16, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by Glasgow Planner View Post
I don't believe any animal is forced to perform in SeaWorld if the animal chooses not to they don't force it.

To be clear I wasn't criticising EPCOT as I believe they do a lot of research and also conservation.

I just wondered if the boycott extends to AK, BG and EPCOT.
In many years of visiting, twice I have seen the Orca's refusing to perform, they are not forced in anyway to participate, they were given 10 minutes or so of play and the show was cancelled.
Old 17 Mar 16, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've been to Seaworld countless times since 1996 and always loved watching the Shamu show(still do) Even on my first visit I knew in an ideal world they would be in the ocean,I can never understand how some people used to think it was ok to visit Seaworld and then all of a sudden decided it was wrong,I do think it's hypocritical to be hauled about by a dolphin in DC then slate SW.I'll still enjoy watching Shamu,even if it's just going to be an educational show.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread