Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Feb 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Was disappointed with Transformers at Universal. It was just Spiderman with a different film.
Transformers is so much worse. Its too fast and blurry making the 3D effect kind of pointless.

Originally Posted by bazzaang1212 View Post
Me and my family like both, 3d and normal roller coasters, as a number of people have already said I believe there is room for both.
I completely agree, but I found an over-reliance on 3D at universal and I think it took away from some of the experience as some were a bit "samey"

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
There REALLY is already more balance, people just don't seem to see it somehow... I'm puzzled

Coasters - Hulk, Rip ride Rocket, duelling dragons, Flight of the hippogryph, woody woodpecker

Fairground - Storm force accelatron, Caroseusel, one fish 2 fish, twirl and hurl, high in the sky train

Other - dark/wet/ride ET, cat in the hat, men in black, ripsaw falls, jurassic park, popeye barges, Dr doom, Skull island

Shows
The Blues Brothers, Universal Horror Make-Up,Fear Factor Live. Cinematic Spectacular.
Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Stunt Show. Poseidon's Fury.

3/4 D shows and sims - T2, Shrek 4th, Minions, Mummy, Gringotts, Forbidden journey, Simpsons Transformers and Spiderman and soon to be Jimmy Fallon

Alongside parades, street shows and character meet and greets

Something for everybody in that lot - don't get why people say it is all simulators.
I haven't validated your complete list but I think it shows a heavy reliance on 3D now and unfortunately if its done badly they aren't great. Also the technology tends to age poorly

Most of the newer attractions incorporate 3D at universal which is unfortunate.

Coaster: 6
Fairground: 5
Other: 8
Shows: 3
Cinematic Spectacular: 2
3/4D: 11 (you missed skull island)
Old 22 Feb 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
More and more these seem to be popping up. Universal being especially bad for it.

Upside being more 'rides' in a small space.

Downside, they are not proper rides.
I would argue that they are just as much a "proper ride" as any other type of ride. And therefore the parks aren't being ruined by them.

Universal have been quite innovative when it comes to these 3D rides. They were one of the first to merge the dark ride with the 3D simulator to produce the Spider-Man ride - a pretty unique ride (until Transformers came along). They merged indoor rollercoasters with 3D simulators to give us Gringotts. And they used large robotic arms to move guests about in Forbidden Journey.

Admittedly, the number of 3D rides at Universal might be getting a bit much now. And, of course, its not much fun for those that don't like 3D rides for whatever reason.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Simpsons isn't 3D, but it is a simulator.

Revenge of the Mummy and Gringotts arent simulators, they are indoor coasters.

Yes, if you merge together lots of different types of ride into one then you get a large number. But then that seems a bit unfair.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:04 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I don't mind the 3D rides, just annoying as I wear glasses and find the 3D glasses a bit uncomfortable on top.

Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo View Post
Transformers is so much worse. Its too fast and blurry making the 3D effect kind of pointless.
Agree. Most vloggers I watch seem to prefer Transformers as it's smoother and better 3D but I didn't find that at all!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
The Thornes
Getting Excited

The Simpsons seems to be taking a battering in here.

It's a family fave for us.
Also big fans of Transformers

Each to their own
2014 Rosen Pointe Orlando
2017 Rosen Pointe Orlando - All Star Sports resort - Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Rosen Pointe Orlando - All Star Music - Hard Rock Hotel
2022 Rosen Pointe Orlando -Pop Century - Hard Rock Hotel
2023 Portofino Bay
The Thornes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
hence why there is a balanced mix

if there were all 'old school' people would be twisting about that !
Like with Disney- they replace the rides/attractions/shows, people complain. They don't replace the rides/attractions/shows, people complain. You can't please some people.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

We love the Simpsons ride and my son thinks its the best thing ever he made us keep going on it. I personally see nothing wrong with it and the jokes are awesome. As posted earlier I think Universal have a good balance of rides and are trying to give you as much to do in as small a space as possible.
Also have they confirmed that Jimmy Fallon is going to be 3D I thought it sounded like Soarin.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jeff456
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by WillSa6 View Post
We did Galatica (the old Air ride) at Alton Towers last summer and the sanitation of the head sets was a quick wipe with a screen cleaner/ baby wipe type of thing. I actually preferred the new VR version of the ride.

TBH I don't think the load times were affected that much by the extra VR element. The ride staff have it down to a fine art.
I was there at a soft opening and it took AGES, but this was back when it opened, glad it has improved now, it must have reduced hourly capacity by more than half at that time compared to usual.
WDW- Feb 1999-AS Music, Oct 2000- AS Movies, Oct 2005- AKL, Oct 2006-Offsite, Feb 2008-AS Music, Aug 2010-POFQ, Aug 2012-OKW, Sep 2014 POFQ, Aug 2017 OKW, Aug 2023 POFQ, Jan 2024 - Dockside, April 2024 Villa, Sep 2024 OKW, Dec 2024 - AS Movies

DLP - Dec 2009, July 2011, July 2019, Sep 2019, November 2022
Jeff456 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaynew
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Look at Kraken at Seaworld. I love this rollercoaster yet is being shut down in March for several months so they can install virtual reality to it. So wrong.
Oh no, we are going in April and it's one my son is desperate to do. I've not read anywhere that it will be shut when we go.
Old 22 Feb 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post

We are travelling 1/4/17 and i just told my son of this and he is a little disappointed. I cant find anything regarding closures either.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List