Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Jan 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Airboat in August - Worth it?

Will be travelling end if July and was planning on booking an airboat ride but i have read that summer is not a good time to see the alligators. So I was wondering if we are wasting our time/money and would we be better looking for something else to do?

Thanks in advance.
Andy
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Busby
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by andyb1126 View Post
Will be travelling end if July and was planning on booking an airboat ride but i have read that summer is not a good time to see the alligators. So I was wondering if we are wasting our time/money and would we be better looking for something else to do?

Thanks in advance.
Andy
Watching this as we are looking for something different for our August trip...
Busby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Boo-Bobz
Helping Minnie

We did Spirit of the Swamp in August last year. We picked an early morning slot so it wouldn't be too hot. We saw loads of alligators, albeit mostly just the noses. Chris our guide took us to several alligator nests. We also saw turtles, fish, birds, giant snails. The whole experience was great and I would recommend it to anyone. It something we would definitely do again- even in August.
Boo-Bobz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Always do first boat out with spirit of the swamp.
Always seen plenty of everything.
Always seems to be lots of baby gaters around as well.
Can't recommend highly enough!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Brilliant. Thank you for the replies.

How far in advance would we need to book?

Thanks.
Andy
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Boo-Bobz
Helping Minnie

I booked in the February - just to make plans around our ADRs as that was our 180 day mark. I got the day and time that I wanted.
Boo-Bobz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 17, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree that you should do the first boat out if you can as the heat drives the gators and us indoors ! I also second Spirit of the Swamp.

However, a cautionary note - they cannot guarantee that you see gators. It is gator hunting season and the gators are quite understandably shy and leery of boats full of people.

We did spirit a couple of years ago and saw two baby gators, however, we saw lots of other wildlife, giant snails, fantastic bird life, kids did a spot of "fishing" off the end of the boat. It was really memorable. Did we see gators, no not really. Would be go again even if we dont see gators ?

Yes - and we are !

Edited at 03:27 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 17, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Air boat rides are amazing - a real holiday highlight. We almost always go in July / August and ( though we may have been lucky) we've seen gators every time. I think we're going to try Spirit of the Swamp next time too because I've read such good things.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

We went last summer and had a blast. We saw a couple of big alligators near their nests, plus a baby that swam across in front of the boat.

As others have said, it would have been great even without those sightings. Speeding along with the wind in your hair is a fun experience in and of itself. Plus we saw all sorts of other wildlife such as a pair of bald eagles which was apparently a pretty rare sight.
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List