Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Feb 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Causin' Carnage August 2016 - Highs, Lows, Mehs and The Future

I have just realised that I didn't post the summary of my trip report, although I'd written it out in the Word document!. So here it is, and this will also give me the chance to add a post-script from the view six months later.

So after our most recent visit to Florida, what was the verdict?

Highs

Virgin Flight / Extra Leg-Room Seats – well worth it for £40.

Delta Flights / Comfort + - a bit more expensive, but especially with the seats we had, also well worth it

Chef Mickeys – great interaction with the characters, the best of the holiday.

Keys to The Kingdom Tour

Spirit of the Swamp

Yachtsman Steakhouse

Seeing the kids be kids, probably for the last time, and them buddying up on the big coasters at Universal and Busch

HRH – we all just love this hotel

All the parks – we have something we all enjoy in each one.

Counter Service at SSR

The lack of any major bust-ups – being on-site allows people to come along when they are ready without holding anyone else up. This makes a massive difference for us.

The Photopass Photographer in the German section at Epcot – superb interaction, absolutely marvellous. Afterwards I wished I’d got his name, I’d have sent some feedback to Disney for him.

Lows

Immigration at Detroit – nightmare!

Disney Photopass – we didn’t get anywhere near as many photos as normal because there were queues for every photographer. Disney, if you are going to give away Photopass to everyone, you need to increase how many photographers there are – it’s a simple matter of maths.

Fast Pass + - I didn’t enjoy this at all. It was bad enough having to decide where to eat 6 months in advance without knowing what ride you wanted to be on at 60 days out. You can’t make your mind up as you go along, leading to having FPs for rides which are walk-ons. I also found that we were waiting round for the next FP when we had three booked instead of doing something else.

Not getting to see Wishes AGAIN! If we do ever go to WDW again, I’m going to see it the first flipping night!

The travel agent – she came highly recommended on The Dibb, but I found I was having to do all the chasing, and we ended up at a hotel we hadn’t requested.

Mehs

Saratoga Springs – I know a lot of people love this resort, but we just didn’t feel it. We were comparing all the time with Old Key West and it mostly came up short, with the honourable exception of the counter service availability (see above), not just at the Artists’ Palette but the other CS places such as the Backstretch Pool. I also hadn’t realised how much smaller the rooms were there – with the kids’ beds out we couldn’t access the balcony, and there was no access to the balcony from the bedroom as there is at OKW.

The car – it was boring! I might try and persuade Rob to try something more exciting if we hire a car in the States again.

Some (not all) of the table service restaurants – we found the menus a bit limited at times.

Disney - didn't really feel the magic this visit. I don't know if it was the combination of not really liking SSR and also the new Fastpass + system AND the lack of photographers but it didn't feel the same. and I know they're always after your money because they are business after all, but it felt more obvious somehow this time.

So many more highs than lows and only a couple of mehs – I think we can probably say the verdict was – SUCCESS!

The Future

Well, both kids have said they might be going off on holiday with their friends next year, so that opens up a whole new world on term time holidays for Rob and I – however I suspect they’ll be expecting us to take them on holiday as well.

This is most probably our last visit to Orlando unless we go when the grandchildren come along – but that will be a long way away (I remember writing that at the end of the last trip report as well).
Rob and I are hoping to do a couple of road trips at some point, on the East Coast, Boston, New York, Washington as a starter as it would be a shortish trip.

This would be followed by a longer West Coast trip taking in San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.

Other than that, it’ll be back to 10 days All-Inclusive in Majorca (or possibly the Canary Islands) next year – that’s is, if we can afford it with the rapidly sinking pound! Whatever it is, I don’t think it’ll be anything like this year’s holiday!

And the Future, 6 months later.

Things certainly have changed, DS has his first girlfriend and seems to be growing up all of a sudden, although he has no idea what to do after his A Levels. At one point he was talking about going into the Royal Navy but then decided he didn't want to be away from home for months on end - possibly having a girlfriend has influenced that decision. I suspect he'll hang around doing a low-paid job for a while before he decides what he really wants to.

DD is away in Dubai doing work experience over half-term - I have family out there, and has applied for several universities to do Business Management - the applicants visits will start next week.

DH's company have loads of work to do so he'll be working 5 day weeks for the foreseeable - he'd prefer the 4 days but the money is useful.

I have a visit to Dubai booked for the end of this month with my mum (87!), and DH and I are going to New York in September to celebrate his 60th birthday. We've been wanting to go there for years!

And in between that the kids have said that they want to come on holiday with us, especially if we pay! I'm currently looking at a week end of July / beginning of August in Spain / Balearics / Canaries / Itely / Portugal or Greece. I really need to narrow it down

So my life is mainly taken up with arranging holidays with a bit of work inbetween occasionally Just the way I like it.

Finally looking back on the holiday from here, I think we would all agree it was not only a success, but the best ever trip overall.

So, see you on the General Trip Planning Forum where I'll be picking your brains about New York.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip

Edited at 08:17 PM.
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting this, and some really good insights, especially about staying onsite meaning older kids or hubby can catch up later, or leave if grumpy lol!

If you want a good hotel in Mallorca for all age groups, check out Hotel Bon Sol, in Illetes, its one we have been to since ours were small, and return to even now they are grown, its fab.

Sounds like you have lots more adventures ahead!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Taggie
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for your trip report, I have been looking for one with kids sort of similar to my kids ages. We last went in 2014 when youngest was 15 and the oldest was 17, that was to be our LAST trip as youngest was going to college and oldest was in the final A-Level year. After 2 years of doing A Levels, youngest was going to University and so that would be it! However, youngest couldn't get the required accommodation, so has delayed going for a year and is working full time. Oldest is also working full time.

Youngest has been totally desperate to go, so we are going this June youngest will be 18 and oldest will be 20 and they are paying towards it

Interesting spin of letting them follow on when they are ready to get moving, we will take it as it comes and see what happens as oldest is always totally glued to his phone, so don't want him delaying himself just so he can talk to friends back at home
Pop Century May 07 + All Star Sports March 06
La Quinta Inn Lakeside March 05
Taggie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, it was so nice seeing you all get along so well and how relaxed you were about the kids going off and doing there own thing.

Enjoy Dubai!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Jacko5
Getting Excited

Thanks for sharing your trip report, I really enjoyed reading it. Our DD will be just 18 when we go in July and Im wondering how she will cope with early mornings!

Its looks like you managed well in the hotel room- well done! We have a villa but with 3 nights in hotels and its never much fun with us all in one room.

I did feel for you about the freezer - bet you could have cried!

Thanks again

Sunset Lakes 2006, Sheraton LBV 2011, Emerald Island 2014, Sunset Lakes 2017, Emerald Island 2019
Jacko5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This sounds mostly great with a few things not so great. Detroit immigration is a NIGHTMARE and we nearly missed are next flight to Tampa and then a bag went missing. TWice we have gone through Detroit but never again. JFk on the way back much better, we are only going to the Lake District this year and hopefully USA next, maybe Florida still undecided! I am sure your kids will still want to go if you pay x
Old 28 Mar 17, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Thanks for posting this, and some really good insights, especially about staying onsite meaning older kids or hubby can catch up later, or leave if grumpy lol!

If you want a good hotel in Mallorca for all age groups, check out Hotel Bon Sol, in Illetes, its one we have been to since ours were small, and return to even now they are grown, its fab.

Sounds like you have lots more adventures ahead!
Originally Posted by Taggie View Post
Thanks for your trip report, I have been looking for one with kids sort of similar to my kids ages. We last went in 2014 when youngest was 15 and the oldest was 17, that was to be our LAST trip as youngest was going to college and oldest was in the final A-Level year. After 2 years of doing A Levels, youngest was going to University and so that would be it! However, youngest couldn't get the required accommodation, so has delayed going for a year and is working full time. Oldest is also working full time.

Youngest has been totally desperate to go, so we are going this June youngest will be 18 and oldest will be 20 and they are paying towards it

Interesting spin of letting them follow on when they are ready to get moving, we will take it as it comes and see what happens as oldest is always totally glued to his phone, so don't want him delaying himself just so he can talk to friends back at home
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, it was so nice seeing you all get along so well and how relaxed you were about the kids going off and doing there own thing.

Enjoy Dubai!
Originally Posted by Jacko5 View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip report, I really enjoyed reading it. Our DD will be just 18 when we go in July and Im wondering how she will cope with early mornings!

Its looks like you managed well in the hotel room- well done! We have a villa but with 3 nights in hotels and its never much fun with us all in one room.

I did feel for you about the freezer - bet you could have cried!

Thanks again
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
This sounds mostly great with a few things not so great. Detroit immigration is a NIGHTMARE and we nearly missed are next flight to Tampa and then a bag went missing. TWice we have gone through Detroit but never again. JFk on the way back much better, we are only going to the Lake District this year and hopefully USA next, maybe Florida still undecided! I am sure your kids will still want to go if you pay x
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Great round up there, some fab highs and a few mehs but it sounded fun.
Sounds like an interesting time at home and some nice travel plans.
We are all set for our second Holiday this year without the boys .. It's weird , and rather nice !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List