Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 21 Feb 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We are doing it for a second time next Tuesday with River Ventures can't wait loved it the last time
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

When is the best time of year to do this ?
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
When is the best time of year to do this ?

We've been to Crystal River twice. In August the water was a bit murky and we struggled to find many manatees. However in April, the water really was crystal clear - there were loads of manatees and they were happy to swim right with us.

I think Spring is the season they come inland, so would always choose this time of year over summer.
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you we are going in August and I thought it might be the wrong time of year. Never mind an excuse to go again.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KJayT
Proud to wear my Ears

We did it in August one year - we only saw one mum and calf, partly because it was the wrong season and partly because another boat (with lots more people on - there were only 6 of us on our boat) was chasing the manatees, even though they are prohibited from doing so.

The cooler months are better as the manatees come into the springs for comparatively warmer water (even though it's cold to us!) - in the warmer months, they head out to sea where it's warmer.

All that being said, that one encounter with the mum and calf is something I'll never forget. I saw the mum swimming away, not realising at the time she had a calf with her; I then turned my head and I was face-to-face with the calf, looking straight in its eyes. I even managed an almost-gasp with a snorkel in place! It was so curious (I'm sure I looked curious too!) and, dare I say it, it was an almost emotional moment. The mum had scars where she'd been hit by boat propellers. I can still picture the calf's face now, almost 9 years later. I didn't even have time or thought to try and take a picture of it - I was too in awe of it being there to be honest - but I can still picture it so clearly anyway.
KJayT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Thing1thing2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We loved this, it was our favourite day. Booking it again for April. 😀
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore14
Apprentice Imagineer

Eeyore14's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Done this a few times and had a great time. You kind of float more than swim is how I would describe it. We went in August so not so many around but have always found they will come up to you in the water even if it is just one or two. The cooler months are better.
Crystal river can be quite murky.
Would also recommend stopping off at Homosassa State Park if you have time. They have rehabilitating manatees and have a talk when they feed them at set times. You get there on a boat from the car park, the gift shop also sold lots of souvenirs with manatees on.
Old 26 Feb 17, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rockette
Apprentice Imagineer

We went with Captain Mike's Sunshine River Tours. Really made me emotional, lovely morning, really good interaction with the manatees. We were fortunate that nobody else had booked on our tour so we had the whole boat to ourselves, the crew were amazing.

1982:I-Drive 2007:I-Drive 2009:I-Drive 2010:POR 2011:OKW 2012:BCV/AKV 2013:BCV/VB/OKW, BCR/BWV 2014:SSR/BCV, WBTA/NYC 2015:BCV, BCV/OKW 2016:BWV, WBTA/BCV 2017:VWL/BCV, MED CRUISE, FANTASY/BLT/BCV 2018:BRV/BWV, AKV/CARIBBEAN CRUISE/BWV 2019:BWV/VB/EBTA,BCV 2022:RIV/BWV, BWV, VB/CRUISE/SSR 2023:Mexico, RIV/BWV, Med Cruise, WBTA 2024 BLT, BWV, Egypt
Rockette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did it n Christmas Day in 2015. It was a highlight of the trip. I echo the advice to do a morning trip. Our boat was pretty much the only boat out. By the time we were returning there were a lot more!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 17, 05:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

after so looking forward to,this as a gift from my sons and doing it before I had an epic fail a full blown panic attack with the snorkel just couldn't cope with it Rob and Troy were fantastic I went into,the water as a spotter and actually had a better interaction just off the boat with mum and baby snaking up to find a quiet spot DH loved it as well but 7 years from our first time It was way to busy and some tours defiantly need to be more regulated
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List