Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 08, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Port of Miami Car Hire

Hi there

Has anyone rented / dropped off a car at Alamo at the Port?

What's the process - is it easy, and what is the best way of getting luggage & people from the car hire office to the right part of the port? Do we drop off all passengers and luggage first and have one person drop the car back, or is it best to stay together?

Thanks for any help you can give.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

DH dropped us at our hotel and went back to the Airport with the car - got a taxi to our hotel and in the morning we all piled in a taxi outside the hotel to the port. There are tons of taxis outside most hotels.

I didn't know you could actually drop off at the Port - I thought that wasn't possible! The Port is mad - people everywhere but the atmosphere is great!

Which cruise are you doing? x
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Thank you very much

I don't know that you can drop off at the Port, but I just assumed you would be able to Thank you for posting that or I may never have known!

We are sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line, on the Pearl.

I just can't decide whether to try and manage without a car or not for the four days we are in Miami / Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. I really wanted the freedom of having one, but the cost of parking everywhere I have looked seems very expensive ($25-$30 per day at the hotels I've been looking at). I'm wondering whether just to get a taxi fom FLL to our hotel and then use public transport for the four days.

It's hard to envision as I've never been there before, and DH's last visit was nearly thirty years ago, so he's not much cop either
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 08, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ajmaggs
Serious Dibber

As far as I know, there are no car hire pickup/dropoff facilities at the port. When we took a cruise in September, we dropped our car off at the Miami Beach office on the morning of our cruise, then took a taxi to the terminal.

I'd strongly recommend you have a hire car though, especially if you are moving between Fort Laurderdale and Miami - public transport is available, but I'd not recommend it on a regular basis.

We were based in Miami Beach for a week before our cruise, and had the car for the entire week - picked up at the airport on arrival, and dropped off in Miami Beach. Miami Beach hotels generally have very limited parking on site (hence the high daily parking rates), but we used the public parking garage which was only 5 mins walk from our hotel, and was half the price.
Old 3 Dec 08, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Thank you very much for your help
Old 4 Dec 08, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

NCL Pearl gets good write-ups on Cruise Critic! We are booked on the NCL Sun for Alaska in the summer

If you are at a hotel near the Port I would maybe use your car hire for a couple of days adn then put it back and do the last couple of days around the Port on foot. There is plenty to do and see at Biscayne Market Place and the atmosphere there is fab... but use your car hire to see Miami Beach and things like that... Or just do some tours/use a taxi - might be cheaper than your car hire costs anyway?

What route are you doing on the Pearl?

(have fun! x)
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 08, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Thanks!

We went for the Pearl as we liked the look of it, in particular the Bliss Lounge which really appealed; plus I like the idea of Freestyle Dining. I would have preferred DCL to NCL but the price was prohibitive as we are cruising over Easter.

The Sun gets great write ups too so I'm sure you'll have a fab time and the views will be wonderful in Alaska!

We haven't chosen a hotel yet as I am still mulling over the carhire issue but the port location is one I haven't considered yet, so that's something to consider.
Old 5 Dec 08, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

We stayed in the Holiday Inn, Port of Miami - it was a good price - if you are only looking for a room for two then check Priceline you can get some fabulous deals... I used it for my parents in law who ended up coming with us - they stayed in the Hyatt and they really liked it... the InterContinental also gets great reviews on Cruise Critic.

For us though, the Holiday Inn was great - just opposite Biscayne Market Place and the Marketplace was vibrant at night and during the day - lots to do and see... If you request a room on the upper floors facing the Port you will be able to see the ships docking. It is a great pre-holiday excitement!

All the best!
Old 5 Dec 08, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That sounds great. I daren't risk Priceline in case there wasn't enough room for my DDs (though thinking about it, that could be an advantage )
Old 6 Dec 08, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
That sounds great. I daren't risk Priceline in case there wasn't enough room for my DDs (though thinking about it, that could be an advantage )
That's why we didn't do it too - I think they only guarantee doubles! My inlaws got a great deal though but not worth risking if you have kids and want them to stay with you!
Closed Thread