Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 09, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

SO Tell Me About This Cruise Lark Then...

Ive been bombarded by people telling me how good these Disney Cruises are but Im not convinced . My main concern is the fact we are a family of 5 so does that mean we will need 2 cabins or do they do bigger ones?

Also the cost - never even considered it really as being cost effective - what sort of price are you looking at for a 4 or 5 day trip?

Third, as some of you know we were definately a bit underwhelmed and Disney'ed out on our Xmas trip so is the cruise "not too in your face Disney" or is it like being trapped in a resort for 5 days?

Sell it to me...
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I just posted some cruise info on your NY road trip thread for a family of 5 you would have to book a cat 4 cabin but you'd actually save money by booking two connecting cat 9 cabins and you'd end up with more space plus the all important two bathrooms and two TV's (there's only so much Zak & Cody I can watch on holiday )

We really weren't sure about a cruise before we took our first one but now we're hooked and the kids probably enjoyed it more than we did. They had a blast in the kids clubs and DD especially, couldn't wait to get in there each day. Now bearing in mind that my two have autism so wouldn't be the best socially, that says a lot. They both really enjoyed the activities and still talk about them even now.

As for cost, well apart from the odd cocktail (or two) and tips at the end, everything is included so no factoring in costs for meals etc., there is plenty to tempt the most fussy of eaters and nothing was too much trouble. You know it's a Disney cruise but the "Disney" part of it is not in your face. If you want to get your photo's taken with the characters you can but we never bothered. Check out the Disney Cruise Web Site and have a play around with the dates your thinking of to get an idea of how much you'd pay.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post

We have done 2cruises but not a Disney one but
once you have done one you will be hooked.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

COUGH SPLUTTER... HOW MUCH?

Just priced up the 4 night one and its nearly $4000! I dont bally well think so!

Id be choking if it was half that to be honest.

Thats that idea out of the window then! Back to the drawing board!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
COUGH SPLUTTER... HOW MUCH?

Just priced up the 4 night one and its nearly $4000! I dont bally well think so!

Id be choking if it was half that to be honest.

Thats that idea out of the window then! Back to the drawing board!
I know others may say different, but we've done 2 Disney cruises now & both times booked Cat 12 GTY which are usually SOooo much cheaper & our rooms were great..Maybe try pricing those?
Depends on time of year too as off season is much cheaper!

We were lucky though as both were booked when the $ was so good for us!

That said, My DH is all Disney'd out now so our next trip is hopefully NYC, then a flight to Canada & a visit to a Canadian theme Park to keep the kids happy!

p.s look at RCL cruises & Carnival too as I'm sure they are just as good & VERY much cheaper than Disney!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

All the cabins seemed to be about the same price - 2 cheaper ones was no different to the 1 big one.

Far too expensive for me - I dont even fancy it that much. That was the cheapest option - the 5 night one is the one that I was more interested in and thats loads.

I could do a lot with a $4000 budget and it would go a lot more than 4 days on a boat! 7 night concierge at the Poly didnt cost that - and that had food and drinks included as well.
Old 7 Jan 09, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
When are you pricing it for Allie? We are doing a 3 night cruise in August and for us 4 it was $1600. We thought it would be a lot more so its a bargain to us. Considering that 99.9% of your food and drink(including room service) and all the entertainment, movies, kids clubs etc are included in the price, we were more than happy.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013

Edited at 06:20 PM.
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
When are you pricing it for Allie? We are doing a 3 night cruise in August and for us 4 it was $1600. We thought it would be a lot more so its a bargain to us. Considering that 99.9% of your food and drink(including room service) and all the entertainment, movies, kids clubs etc are included in the price, we were more than happy.
It was for September which I thought would be quiet!

Its as I thought, being a family of 5 its simply not cost effective.

I might look at the non Disney option as I think it might drive us insane being on a "Disney boat" anyway after our recent experiences!

Im trying to find a good compromise holiday for this year and its so hard!
Old 7 Jan 09, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
To get the cheapest prices you need to book well in advance. I know that Karen is sailing out of Miami over Easter with RCL and got a good price with them.

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
... Im trying to find a good compromise holiday for this year and its so hard!
How about NY then a flight down to Florida but spending some time either on the Gulf or Atlantic coast and exploring the areas around there?

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 09, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
how about a med cruise, then you have no flight costs to factor in.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread