Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 May 16, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Double Trouble Does Disney April 2016 – Day 2 - Travel Day

Friday 15th April 2016
After laying in the darkness willing the sun to rise on our travel day for what seemed like forever, I finally heard a little voice in the sofa bed next to me squeaking. I obviously asked the standard holidaying parent question of, “so Harry, what do you fancy doing today?” “Erm, have breakfast please”, followed by Ben screaming “no, let’s go Disney! ” Oh go on then kids. It’s more a holiday for you anyway….

Harry is just a blur of excitement in the background by this stage:

Breakfast was a delicious buffet of crumpets, pancakes, sausages, eggs, and bacon etc. – a perfectly delicious way to start the day. I’ll admit I forgot to take any pictures and all I managed was a couple of crumpets and a coffee (did I mention I was excited yet?). Checking out of the hotel was just as easy as checking in and I think we’d definitely be hard-pressed to find a better value hotel to suit our needs. Added to this, one of the best bits about twilight check-in is the lovely wander over to the terminal, via the monorail of course, knowing that we can go straight through to security. I think the boys amused a group of business men waiting for a taxi outside by shouting at the top of their voices ‘we’re going on a plane, we’re going on a plane’! It was lovely to see them so excited, trotting up the escalator with their little minion backpacks on. We got to security at about 9.30am and were ushered through a separate family entrance, which gave us plenty of time to help the boys put their things through the scanner without feeling rushed and getting in other people’s way. The boys were now in super serious mode having had ‘the talk’ about not mucking around once we are in the airport. Their little faces made me laugh – perhaps we took the talk too far as they looked terrified!

When we were finally through to duty free I entered relaxation level 2, knowing that we were there on time, all our bags and kids were with us and checked, and now we just had to wait to be called. I already knew there was a delay on the plane as it said 30 minutes late when I checked before leaving the hotel. In the end we were given our gate number at about 11.10. No chance of taking off at 11.25 then, but I didn't care as we were going to get on the plane – hooray! We finally took off at about 12.25, but were assured that we would make up the time on the way (why don’t they just fly faster all the time? I’ll never understand that!).

I love flying, I really do, but then I’m only 5ft 3in so I’d imagine the experience is far more comfortable for me than most in economy. However, as DH is 6ft 3in, we opted to choose row 37 at pre-booking. We always like the 4 across the middle and knew these ones could recline without bothering anybody else behind, giving DH a little more room and me the ability to super schlomp. We loved these seats and would happily choose them again.

This was Ben & Harry’s 3rd time on a plane and they really aren’t fussed about it all, in fact Ben is now quite the flying pro expecting his drink, menu & pretzels just after take-off. They don’t bat an eyelid on take-off or landing or even during heavy turbulence. They’re very much just ‘get on with it’ kind of kids…obviously take after their father! The flight was lovely and the crew were exceptional as we’ve always found VA to be. The inflight entertainment is great and the boys don’t really query the length of time it takes as they are too absorbed in being allowed their Leap-pads for that length of time. This combination of excellent distractions allows Mummy to enter relaxation level 3 – gin & tonic please! The rest of the flight went without a hitch... I think...

Ben, the flying connoisseur:

Harry, the definition of ‘absorbed’:

Having booked seats fairly close to the front of the plane we thought we were all set for a speedy exit in to immigration. We did not account for the gentlemen in the left aisle who had lost something in or near his seat, or perhaps in the overhead bin or perhaps under the seat again, holding up this entire side of the plane whilst we watched everyone stroll down the right side from the back:angry:. In hindsight we should of cut across to the right aisle and gone out that way, but hey ho – we were in Orlando! Just the teeny tiny matter of the row after row of people in front of us in immigration and two tired boys who were an hour past their bedtime now. To give the boys credit they didn't moan, but my God it was hot in there as there were just a few tiny fans blowing on you at each end of the aisle. I think it took us about 50 minutes to get to the front of the queue, most of it with me praying that one of them didn’t utter the devastating words ‘I need a wee’ before we got there. But before we knew it we were through and off to hunt down our suitcases and Quicksilver driver. We’d made it!

I must take this opportunity to praise Quicksilver Transportation here . They were fantastic from start to finish. It enabled us to get around Orlando, without a car, and we had proper full car seats for our boys (something that would have been tricky to achieve with taxis and ubers since we obviously needed two). The van that collected us was very clean and spacious and we were whizzed off to the Embassy Suites straight away. I paid Quicksilver the full return fare, including a 20% gratuity on arrival at the hotel via my Fairfx pre-loaded card. I was given a receipt with collection time as well as an immediate email copy of our journey details – it was very slick and efficient – oh how I needed slick and efficient right there and then…

The hotel was lovely, as expected. On arrival at about 6pm we were told we’d been given our high-floor room facing Disney as requested, that we were allocated a corner suite in a quieter part of the hotel (probably for the benefit of the other guest when they spotted twin boys), and that we’d been upgraded to have the full premium wifi benefits package. My immediate thought was ‘ah ha, quicker Dibbing’! When we entered the room there were helium balloons, flowers, a cake and a thank you card - something DH had organised directly with the hotel manager to say thank you for sorting the trip out. I was so chuffed. I think he’s going soft as he gets older lol!

Living room area:

Two queen bedroom:

Looking over to Epcot with Swan & Dolphin & Tower of Terror (my nemesis) on the horizon:

Looking to the front along the 525 to the 192 crossing it:

The basic plan for the rest of the evening was as follows: boys straight to bed, me unpack, DH sit and work out what sports channels they offered for free, essentially following our usual holiday arrival pattern. One of things that made us choose this hotel was it being all suite rooms, giving us the option to put the boys to bed whilst we could faff about in the living room area. It worked perfectly for us but I realise if we want to stay onsite next time, this is probably going to be the aspect of the holiday that has to give, as much as I would love a suite at the Yacht Club!

A couple of hours later we were asleep too. We were totally shattered but totally happy.

MCO – Embassy Suites LBV South, Kissimmee
Return fare / airport meet & greet / van / two full car seats
Approx. £135 including £22 gratuity

Day 3 – MK / Chef Mickey

Edited at 04:02 PM.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinxylady
Excited about Disney

Fab travel day report.

I love to read all about everyones travel day, as mine is always me stressing far too much

Suites are the way forward we have stayed onsite a few times but prefer a little more room so stay at Bahama Bay, even if it is only for breakfast on the veranda and washing all our clothes before we go home.

Look forward to the rest of your report
Old 18 May 16, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Great report and some cool pics
Old 18 May 16, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Great travel day, such a good idea about Quicksilver travel and thank you for explaining everything- we don't travel until 2018 but I was already wondering about car seats, as we will be taking a 3yo and hopefully baby no 2 by then, God willing! Sounds a great idea. Lovely views from hotel!
Old 18 May 16, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Short legs
Excited about Disney

"I need a wee" ha ha always the dreaded words! You feel angry but feel bad for showing it unless of course you ask them first and they say "no", "you sure" "yes", get in queue...2 minutes later "Mum I need a wee" :angry:
Great travel day and lovely suite.
Short legs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

Fab first day! Cant wait to take my twinkles in oct
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

We also use the Premier Inn and have always found it stress free – just wish Manchester had the twilight check in though.

Another fan of row 37 here – it was great to have no one behind – but don’t tell everyone or they’ll be harder to book next time!

I'm interested in how you used Quicksilver – did you give them a list of journeys and then they gave you a price for the combined journeys? Did this mean you had to have a set pick up time each time?

How lovely of your DH to organise the surprise for you. Your suite looks nice – mind you a suite at the Yacht Club may look nicer.

Looking forward to reading more soon.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I've never understood why planes don't just fly faster either, Sunday drivers!

I also don't understand why it's so bloody hot in the immigration hall, it's like they're trying to make you pass an endurance test to see if you're going to be able to handle the heat.

I'd kill for a stay in a suite at the Yacht Club, it doesn't even have to be a suite, there's only two of us! Maybe renting DVC points would be the way to go for you?!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 16, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Great start. How cute are your boys?! 😊
We also always book row 37 , we love that we don't have anyone poking our headrests
like their lives depend on it and we can commit the cardinal sin of reclining while eating! 😱
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
We also use the Premier Inn and have always found it stress free – just wish Manchester had the twilight check in though.

Another fan of row 37 here – it was great to have no one behind – but don’t tell everyone or they’ll be harder to book next time!

I'm interested in how you used Quicksilver – did you give them a list of journeys and then they gave you a price for the combined journeys? Did this mean you had to have a set pick up time each time?

How lovely of your DH to organise the surprise for you. Your suite looks nice – mind you a suite at the Yacht Club may look nicer.

Looking forward to reading more soon.
I just emailed Quicksilver with all the journeys we wanted to do and they gave us a total price. It did mean we had committed to a set pick up & return time each day but we were happy with that and thankfully it fitted with all our plans perfectly.