Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 26 May 16, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Double Trouble Does Disney April 2016 – Day 6 - Lazy Day / Perkins

Tuesday 19th April 2016

Not much to report today!

After the full-on day at Hollywood Studios yesterday, it was a pleasure to have no real plans today. We arrived to breakfast at the last possible minute and whilst the boys demolished their usual mountain of food I sat and enjoyed my coffee without looking at my watch and hurrying them along. Although I love the park days I also really appreciate the days where my head is not questioning the timing of the next taxi, fastpass or ADR!

Post-breakfast lightsaber fight (obviously):

We got down to the pool at about 11am (once the lightsaber fight had descended into tears as these things invariably do), and once again we had it to ourselves. Whilst the boys splashed about in the main pool, I took some time to myself in the hot tub – Lord knows I love a hot tub! We tried to encourage the boys to take off their arm bands and give swimming by themselves a go but they were having none of it. I don’t think they wanted to concentrate or have to try anything other than diving off the pool steps whilst repeatedly shouting ‘Tower of Terror drop’ (I think that ride might stick in their heads for a very, very long time ).

After a couple of hours in the pool we all realised we were somewhere between lunch and dinner now (linner? dunch?), and all feeling rather peckish. I had a quick look on the local map and I tried to work out where on the 192 I had stayed back in 1994 when I was just 12-years-old. I remembered it being opposite a Perkins and with a bit of photographic memory, worked out that we were only about a 15 minute walk away from that same restaurant. The first time I ever came to Florida we ate in this particular restaurant on the first night. It was our first experience of American-sized portions and I ordered something called a Chocolate Chipper Sundae for dessert; I remember my eyes nearly popping out of my head when I saw it. I wanted to go back and see if the same restaurant still had the same dessert on the menu 22 years later – I was clearly feeling a bit nostalgic (and hungry).

Whilst walking along the 192 the boys had great fun asking the huge trucks to sound their horns by raising their hands in the air and pulling down. The first time one actually did sound their horn in return was hilarious – it scared the flipping life out of them and you could see other car drivers laughing at their very surprised reactions. Funny little moments like that are the small memories you take away from big holidays like this. It was silly but great fun

The walk was absolutely shattering as it was a particularly hot afternoon, 33 degrees if I remember rightly, so the blast of air conditioning when we entered Perkins was very welcome. I don’t recall particularly well what Ian had but the boys went for macaroni cheese and pepperoni pizza, a combination that would essentially become their staple diet for the next 10 days . I had a mustard chicken and pepper crunch salad which was gorgeous and a nice change from burgers or fries. When I got the dessert menu I was shocked – the Chocolate Chipper Sundae was still there! I’m not sure there are many people who wait 22 years between eating their favourite desserts! It was worth the wait:

After a slow mooch back to the hotel we bathed the boys and put them to bed. DH and I had some snacks and drinks in the room whilst watching re-runs of The Big Bang Theory. It’s not glamourous but I was as happy as a pig in mud . After a quick pack of an overnight bag, we too had an early night as we were being collected at 7am the next morning for our check-in at the Royal Pacific Resort and our early entry to Universal. Ben had been waiting a long time for this park – he loves the look of the Men in Black ride…but he’s about 41.9 inches tall (with shoes on) and this ride has a restriction of 42 inches. Sleep & grow Ben, sleep & grow…..

Perkins - $85
Fitbit steps - 8,141 steps / 4.24 miles

Day 7 - RPR / Universal Studios

Edited at 08:28 PM.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 16, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Ah bless the boys and the horns!
Old 26 May 16, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
FLAFantastic
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

'sleep and grow'. Love it!

Annmarie
Old 26 May 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

What's fantastic day. That dessert looks amazing.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 16, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FLAFantastic View Post
'sleep and grow'. Love it!

Annmarie
Haha it worked!
Old 5 Jun 16, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by missdopey View Post
What's fantastic day. That dessert looks amazing.
It was. I think I'm still trying to work it off a month later
Old 19 Feb 17, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

A lovely relaxing day

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
codym
Very Serious Dibber

codym's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great day, that dessert will have to go on my list
3 Part Extravaganza Oct/Nov 2017 *IN PROGRESS*
codym is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds like a great day. I love lazy days in Orlando, especially ones that involve pool and Perkins never seen that dessert though.. on the list for next time, definitely.

Have very similar pics of our DS's saber fighting, funnily enough with the same results! The horns made me smile, I can just imagine their faces.

Loving your report..
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

It's called a Chocolate Chipper Sundae. Reeeeeeally good - hence the salad for my main