Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Oct 16, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Causin' Carnage 23rd August 2016 - Day 12 Animal Kingdom

We had a FP for between 9-10am for the Safari at Animal Kingdom, so we up and about early – around 7am, and were down at the bus stop at 8:30 – well, three of us were, DD said she’d catch up with us later.

The arrival board said the first bus to AK was 9:15am! We really haven’t had a lot of luck with the buses so far on this trip.

We arrived at AK around 10am and went straight to the Safari, where we go on without a problem despite being outside of our FP slot.

We saw more animals than we had on previous trips and got a good look at the lions for a change.

Warning – picture overload alert!

After coming out of the Safari, we went to the bakery which is between the Safari and Tusker House for some breakfast. We got pastries for DH and I and a ‘Colossal Cinnamon Roll’ for DS.

This was supposed to be for two people, but he didn’t offer any to DH or I and polished it off in on time at all. I’m pretty sure it’s nowhere near as colossal as it used to be. He got one last trip and I’m sure that one would have fed 4 or 5 people – DH and I did have a piece each then.

Whilst eating breakfast, we got a text saying Expedition Everest was down and our upcoming FPs could be used any time later or on any other ride. We wandered round there anyway to find it was actually running, although a TV comedy call “Black…ish” was filming there, so we suspected that was why it has been stopped.

At that point we got a text from DD saying she was in the park and should we meet her at Space Mountain?! I replied saying, no, as we were in Animal Kingdom by Everest! She said she’d get a bus over – what an idiot!

We used our FPs for Everest and then went on again, using the single rider line. I felt slightly dizzy when getting off the ride the second time – I must be getting too old to be doing these rides back to back!

We went off to find some shade to sit in but got shoo’d away from one area at the TV show was used to store some equipment, but soon found somewhere else and had a drink – it was another scorcher, and as AK doesn’t have many indoor rides (especially with Dinosaur closed), you don’t get the chance to cool down.

DD texted to say that she’d arrived and we went to meet her at Kali River Rapids and use our 3rd FP. We only got slightly damp compared with the Bilge Rats ride, and the ride seemed shorter than I’d remembered it, but it was still good fun. We snagged another FP for Everest and went to have another drink and get DD some food.

We stopped and watched the monkeys for a while before going to Dino-land.

Once in Dino-land DD, DS and I did Primeval Whirl. DH sat this out as he can’t stand the jerkiness of it and then DD and DS did it twice more while I waited with DH, before we went back to Everest to use our FPs.

We also got our obligatory three-yearly family photo in front of Everest.

Everest seems to be further way now – and DS has overtaken us all.

We then decided to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge for our 4:30pmADR at Boma. It was only 3:30pm but we thought it would give us some time to cool down before dinner.

The 4:30pm time was made with the idea of getting FP for a Twilight Safari or a ride in the dark on Everest but we’d all had enough of AK for today and decided we wouldn’t be going back to the park in the evening.

We discussed changing our plans for tomorrow and instead of going to Busch Gardens, going back to Universal before our tickets expired.

On investigation, the single-ride Express Line passes for be $240 for the four of us in US, so we suggested using the single-rider lines, but DD didn’t want to do that, so we ditched the idea and will be going to Busch Gardens as planned.

Strangely DD has had a ‘thing’ about going on as single-rider this holiday and has been against it whenever it has been suggested, even though she would go along with it when it was pointed out that e.g. single-rider was 10 minutes on Test Track, Standy-by was 80 minutes. Earlier this afternoon she didn’t want to go single-rider on Everest after we’d used our FPs.

We had a wander around AKL, going out to the Savannah Overlook and seeing changes since we were there in 2007 – all the villas were under construction then.

We went to Boma at 4:30pm, which was just as it opened. We did hang back a bit as the first few guests were being applauded into the restaurant by the staff.

Being British, we would have been extremely embarrassed to have this happen, so waited until the staff had gone off to do their jobs before scuttling over to check-in!

Once we were seated and had ordered our drinks, we availed ourselves of the buffet. It was as good as I remembered – although we hadn’t eaten here since 2007(!) and DH and DD had two trips for their main meal. DS and I restricted ourselves to one visit, but I did pile up my plate with desserts – Zebra Domes – yum!

After dinner was over, we got a bus back to Disney Springs and then another onto SSR.

After faffing about in the room for a while and offering to go swimming with the kids, neither of whom seemed very keen, we went up to reception to pay off the bill so far. As at Universal, we had been charging all the non-DDP items (i.e. alcohol!) and tips onto the room account. This came to just under $700 so far, for seven days at Disney.

We stopped off at the Turf Lounge for a couple of drinks and then it was back to the room and bed.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Yikes $700! I think our bills were less as we don't really drink. The Disney buses are a pain, we used the car mainly.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Looking forward to more!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 16, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

45mins for a bus in the morning... come on Disney :angry:

AKL is a stunning resort, only ever done the breakfast at Boma
Old 22 Oct 16, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Yikes $700! I think our bills were less as we don't really drink. The Disney buses are a pain, we used the car mainly.
Yes, we do like a couple of drinks to relax in the evenings, and they aren't cheap at Disney - they were coming up to the $20 mark with a 18% tip added

We've never had to wait as much for busses as we did this trip. But they are handy to let DD arrive in her own time.

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Looking forward to more!
Thank you, glad you're enjoying it

Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
45mins for a bus in the morning... come on Disney :angry:

AKL is a stunning resort, only ever done the breakfast at Boma
I'd love to stay there again, but it would be far too expensive, as we'd have to have two rooms these days...

Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I love your photos from your previous trips. It's crazy that 2007 feels like it was just yesterday but the twins have (obviously!) changed so much!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I love your photos from your previous trips. It's crazy that 2007 feels like it was just yesterday but the twins have (obviously!) changed so much!
It's amazing to see them growing up in 4 photos - you can see the evolution through the pictures, but perhaps wouldn't have recognised them if only seeing picture 1 and 4.

DH and I have simply ditched our contact lenses!

Old 29 May 17, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Love the family pic over the years, nice memories.
Great time around AK, and early dinner at Boma sounds lovely.
Lol at DD being in the wrong park !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List