Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Feb 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Thank you. That will certainly help with the veg intake

I'm not quite sure why vegetables seem to be lacking over there, but I'm always scouring the menus for things that include more. I don't count their Caesar salads which you seem to be able to get everywhere as that's just iceberg lettuce drowned in dressing
Food snob!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Food snob!

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh my what a rude lady re the snails...?! Excellent excellent response however! All the snacks at food and wine looked yum 😀
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Wow! Have just found your report and spent the past couple of hours reading , laughing and just enjoying your food trip - to the detriment of typing up my next trip report day!
Have loved every single day so far and the humour too. You have eaten in so many wonderful places

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Oh my what a rude lady re the snails...?! Excellent excellent response however! All the snacks at food and wine looked yum 😀
I'll tell Poot you said so. Or maybe I won't...I'm not sure I want to encourage that kind of smart-a**e talk! In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't!

That mac 'n' cheese was absolutely gorgeous - I'll be honest, though - I'm not sure I would have paid OOP for any of the F&W snacks. Some of the portions are very, very small. I go back and forth with the DDP - but it DID make me feel like I could try things I wouldn't have otherwise let myself purchase...

Thanks for sticking with us - a proper "three meal day" goes up next!

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Wow! Have just found your report and spent the past couple of hours reading , laughing and just enjoying your food trip - to the detriment of typing up my next trip report day!
Have loved every single day so far and the humour too. You have eaten in so many wonderful places
Well, thanks so much - what a great compliment!

We definitely had dining ups and downs - I do feel that the food at Disney used to be better across the board - that you could go into any restaurant on property and be guaranteed a decent meal.

Now I think - while there are some great places/dishes out there - you have to put more effort into finding them.

What do you think? Wait, don't tell me - go and finish YOUR trippie!
Old 23 Feb 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 16

We started today at Epcot - and tried another Food Booth "brunch"...

Snack, The Chew Collective (Epcot Food & Wine Festival)

Poot ordered the Grilled Beef Skewer ($5) and the Ricotta and Zucchini Ravioli ($4.75 - but we got a bottle of water and used 1 QS credit to pay).

The beef was a strange dish - it was served with feta and apricots. And while each individual component was tasty (and the meat was nicely cooked) - they didn’t really seem to go together. I cook with feta and apricots a fair amount, but I’ve never paired either of them with beef…

I didn’t taste the pasta, but Poot’s actually here with me right now. And he says, “It wasn’t the best ravioli I’ve ever had - but it was still OK, there was cheese in it.”

Sorry, folks - I’ve no idea what that means either.

Lunch, Akershus (Norway Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase)

Today was Dapper Day at Epcot, and I thought we'd book Akershus to get some good snaps of Poot (in his glad rags) with the princesses. First we had the world’s quickest meeting with Belle -

- and then into the restaurant we went.

As I’ve mentioned, my mother is Norwegian. So we like a bit of Norwegian food ‘round ours. How did the food at Akershus stand up to my mother’s home cooking?

Well...she’s a chef, my grandmother was a chef, my maternal aunt’s a chef...so I’ll give you one guess…

No, I’m joking (though only sort of)! - it was actually pretty good.

Our waiter was called Haakon (like the kings) and he was very friendly. When he found out I was a half-caste Norwegian, he apologised for the Americanisation of the food, pointed out the buffet - and told me what we should “definitely” order for our mains. Oh, no - more beef! But I felt like I couldn’t choose something else without hurting his feelings...

Pre-beef, we visited the “Taste of Norway Appetizer Buffet”. According to Allears, it features “some of the finest Scandinavian Seafood, imported cheeses, cured and sliced meats and a vast selection of salads and fruits”.

This was Poot’s plate:

As you can see, he went for his usual pint of capers! His buffet “highs” were the various types of smoked and cured fish, with the mackerel being his favourite. His “low” was the Gjetost - Poot loves cheese, but didn’t care AT ALL for this one, which tastes like a mix of cheese and fudge (seriously).

Gjetost:

I was quite funny watching him taste it - he made the “Beverly” face:

Hello! if this is you -

This was my plate:

My favourite thing from the cold board was the chicken salad. I can’t have fish - but there was still plenty to choose from. The lunch buffet here was a much better fit for us than the breakfast buffet we tried at 1900 Park Fare. So much of the American breakfast choices are sweet (or eggy, bleurgh) - we both much preferred the savoury lunch choices. Plus - vegetables!

While we were snacking on our starters, Princess Aurora came ‘round. Poot’s confidence was running high - I think it was the suit!

Aurora was very keen to show him “how to stand like a gentleman”. Here’s his effort:

Not sure about that one, frankly…

Snow White was next to stop by.

Poot didn’t even have to use his special sentence - she complimented his suit and he was off, telling her all about Dapper Day. So funny!

This Cinderella was a little vapid - but I didn’t care; Poot already had a great meet with her clone at CRT.

I had no idea that Cinderella was even here - I thought she only met at CRT!

The princess visits were timed really well - for not long after Cindy left us, Haakon brought us our mains.

Poot picked:

Brassert Biff red wine-braised beef, roasted garlic mashed potato, pickled mushrooms, baby vegetables, and strawberry port demi

Poot really liked this. It was attractively presented and tasty. The only bad bit(s) were the pickled mushrooms. Slimy!

I went for:

Tradisjonell Kjøttkake Norwegian meatballs served with mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables, and lingonberry sauce

The meatballs were nice - lovely and tender - and I do love a lingonberry. I ate up all my green beans - but left the mash. It was probably nice, though - I just hate to waste my calories on mash, which I don’t like very much.

Neither of us finished our mains, but it was because we wanted to save room for dessert this time. Yay!

In time, Haakon brought a pudding selection for us to share:

The desserts were:

Sweet and Savory Chocolate Mousse

Traditional Rice Cream - topped with strawberry sauce

and

Apple Cake with cardamom whipped cream

We found the desserts a bit “meh” - except for the rice cream, which we found...yucky. Nobody in our house likes rice pudding - and for all that they call it “rice cream” at Akershus - it was rice pudding. Bleurgh. We did taste it, though - just to be sure. And, yep…

I’ve had some pretty tasty Norwegian desserts. These did not number among them. But Haakon was pretty funny - he took one look at our (picked-at) dessert plate and said, “Ja, well - I figured you wouldn’t like them. The desserts here are too Americanised for actual Norwegians.”

So there you go. Too Americanised for actual Norwegians. And, apparently, even for half-castes like me.

Despite the puddings, the food at Akershus was a step up from the other 1 credit restaurants we had tried so far (Mama Melrose, Be Our Guest and Garden Grill). The princesses were (mostly) great with Poot - they made a big deal of his suit and really made him feel special. Thumbs up.

Our bill here was around $100 - we used 2 TS credits and left the friendly Haakon a 20% tip.

Interesting to think that lunch here cost about what our dinner at Be Our Guest cost. But there was no comparison, food-wise. This was SO much tastier - and there was a lot of choice on offer at the buffet. I’d go back. And Poot says he would, too.

Would I pay out of pocket for it? Probably not. But (to me, anyway) it’s a no-brainer on the DDP.

Today was the day my DH (finally) arrived from London - he was so shattered when we got back to Saratoga that he just wanted sleep. Poot and I headed out to Magic Kingdom.

Poot became hungry in Frontierland...

Dinner, Pecos Bill's (Frontierland)

Now the last time we ate at Pecos Bill’s (October 2014) it was by far the worst food of our holiday (I still don’t know HOW a burger can be both greasy AND dry). I knew the menu had changed, though - and since both Poot and I love Tex-Mex, we decided to give it another try.

We chose:

...the Fajita Platter - with barbacoa beef and chicken, cilantro rice, beans, and tortillas $14.99 (we used 1 QS credit)

This was really tasty - and it was a LOT of food. You can even add MORE food if you choose - there is a toppings bar here. Poot picked out some shredded cheese and I spooned up a little guacamole.

I love guacamole - and the best part is - EVERY time we have it, I get to tell Poot my guacamole joke:

“Moth-er.”

Oh, I love it - and the best part is - long after I’m dead, he’ll tell it to his kids. He won’t be able to help himself…

Even between us we couldn’t finish the fajita platter - if you’re paying OOP this one is good value - two of these would EASILY feed a family of four. Everything on the platter was flavoursome - and made a nice change from the typical QS fare.

Per usual, I had a Diet Coke, Poot had tap water. For dessert we chose:

Red Velvet Cake $4.29

They have churros on the dessert menu here, but cold churros are just...the worst. I did think about asking if we could come back later to pick up our (hot) dessert, but the queues were long - I didn’t want the hassle of having to wait twice. So we went for the cake instead. The cake was in one of those little plastic Disney cake-pots, and indeed it tasted like a Disney cake-pot cake.

The cake itself was moist (though it was just generically sweet, rather than “red velvet-y”). But a real red velvet cake should have lovely, thick cream cheese frosting - and this frosting tasted like icing sugar mixed with corn syrup and water. We had one bite each and then...no more. If we ever do the DDP again, I’d be glad of the opportunity to have an ice cream instead.

There was a very sweet, young Japanese CM tidying tables in our little corner of Pecos Bill’s, and we talked for a while - she was VERY, VERY homesick. A placement at an American fast-food restaurant...wow!...talk about culture shock. I hope she’s happier now, wherever she is...

If you are interested in Dapper Day at Epcot - or why it took us two hours to drive from MCO to Saratoga...Day 16 in the trip report is HERE.
Old 23 Feb 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Another great day! We were at EPCOT on Dapper Day too, some people had really gone to town, it was fantastic to see so many people making the effort and dressing up. I'd never heard of it before. x
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh i feel v sorry for the homesick cm ...😕 hope she is ok! Love love love the suit 😀
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ycryan View Post
Another great day! We were at EPCOT on Dapper Day too, some people had really gone to town, it was fantastic to see so many people making the effort and dressing up. I'd never heard of it before. x
I had seen pictures - but the dates of our holidays had never fallen right - before last year. Even though I wasn't feeling great it was still SO MUCH FUN. I loved seeing the kids most of all...adorable.

Thanks for sticking with me -

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Oh i feel v sorry for the homesick cm ...😕 hope she is ok! Love love love the suit 😀
She was very sad - I just wanted to give her a hug! I know what it's like to leave my country - but I bet the culture shock for her was 100 times worse, poor thing.

And I will pass on your kind compliment to Poot. He was unsure at first - but after the third or fourth girl came up and told him how handsome he looked...well, I think he rather liked Dapper Day!

Thanks for checking in!
Old 3 Mar 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 17

Breakfast, Wolfgang Puck Express (Disney Springs Marketplace)

Poot and I hadn’t tried breakfast here, because we’d always been long away to the parks, etc...by the time it opened.

As we walked along to path to Disney Springs I felt so happy - it was so lovely to finally be together - all three of us - and walking in the warm Florida sunshine. If you are staying in Congress Park, you can walk to WPE in about the same time it takes to walk to Artist’s Palette. BUT WP’s doesn’t open ‘til 9:00 AM - so keep that in mind.

We arrived around 9:15 AM. The place was DEAD. There were two other families already seated, but no-one else waiting to order.

So Poot studied the menu at length - and then tried to order a pizza.

Me: Breakfast food, boyo.

Poot: But the pizza has pesto!

I think I mentioned Poot’s weird pesto obsession earlier in the report…

Now Disney being Disney - by the time Poot finished saying “pesto” the cashier had already disappeared into the kitchen to speak to the chef! Hmm…

The food here was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the food at Artist’s Palette, but (IMHO) still not as good as breakfast at Perkins. Mmm...Perkins.

The man of the house went for:

Classic Breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, crispy potatoes, sourdough or whole grain toast $13.25 (we used 1 QS credit - which also included his orange juice)

R.C. said this was OK - but nothing special.

I chose:

Corn Flakes French Toast $11 (I also had orange juice; we used 1 QS credit)

Now I was really looking forward to this one. One of the copycat recipes I like to make at home is Planet Hollywood’s “Chicken Crunch” - and I kind of thought this would be it’s breakfast-y equivalent.

Sadly, no. It was SO dry and sharp. While the flavour was nice, it just wasn’t pleasant to eat. If you’ve ever cut the roof of your mouth on a crisp, you’ll know what I mean. Ow!

One of us was happy though, as the kind chef had agreed to make Poot a pizza at 9:15 AM (probably because the restaurant was so quiet).

Pesto and Goat Cheese Pizza with Roma tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes $13.50 (we used 1 QS credit, and Poot got to pick out a brownie (which he ate a bit of later - it was not good)

Poot’s here now - here’s his verdict on the pizza:

“I thought the goat’s cheese was extremely lemon-y - which was great - because I like the flavour of lemons. The pesto was good - because I REALLY like pesto. This was the perfect combination for me.”

Did that help anybody? No? Sorry...

I don’t really like pesto, so I didn’t taste the pizza. The one from Blaze looked nicer, though.

We sat at our little outdoor table for a long time (the restaurant was still dead, no-one needed it). I was determined not to rush us off to “do” something; I wanted R.C.’s first day in Florida to be lovely and relaxing for him (for this, in MY dictionary, read: a WASTED day, lol).

Eventually, feeling *somewhat* disappointed with our meal, we wandered off into Disney Springs proper - having left our waitress a cash tip of six or seven dollars. I would have left a five, but the restaurant was so quiet that she must have stopped by our table six or seven times…

The food at WPE was fine - and certainly WAY better than the food at Artist’s Palette. It’s still no IHOP, though.

Snack, Ghirardelli's (Disney Springs Marketplace)

It was a hot day, and after we had walked around DS for a few hours, I could tell that R.C. needed a break. We wandered back to the Marketplace end of Disney Springs - where the lads got ice cream at Ghirardelli’s.

Both went for cones:

R.C.’s was the Strawberry one ($6.55, we used one snack credit); Poot chose Cookie Dough in a Chocolate Dipped Waffle Cone ($7.55, again we used 1 snack credit). I’m calling those Dining Plan Successes - do they make up for the credits I used on water yesterday?

Unlike WPE, Ghirardelli’s was VERY BUSY (by now it was about 1:00 PM) - we sat in the extremely crowded restaurant and the chaps tucked in. I tried both flavours - they were pretty good. But Poot made the better choice with that chocolate dipped waffle cone. Yum!

Also - how much did I love the little ice cream cone “coffins”? I’d never seen these before - what a great idea!

R.C. (who was still exhausted) had some sleep that afternoon - Poot and I went for a swim.

When we got back to the room, R.C. was awake, drinking tea - and working. We all got ready and headed out to Epcot - dinner tonight was at the Yachtsman.

Why did we not take the car? R.C. wanted to have a couple of beers with dinner.

Beer?! That’s not covered on the dining plan!

Lol...up to this point - we had spent precisely ZERO dollars on food since we moved to Saratoga (we had the £200 gift card to pay for our tips) Springs. And I know the savings are all in my head (room discount vs. dining plan, etc…) - but that ZERO balance felt good.

After arriving at Epcot, we wandered slowly through Future World - and then through Canada and England. Poot traded for a “good pin” at the kiosk in England, so he was a happy chappy as we went through the International Gateway and down to the Beach Club. The Beach Club and the Yacht Club (as I’m sure most of you know) are connected - and it was great to see this beauty in the Beach Club lobby -

- even if we did have to walk past the stinkiest restaurant on property…

...to get through to the Yacht Club.

Now before I talk about our experience at the Yachtsman - I know what you’re thinking - More Beef?!

Um...yes.

But this reservation was one of the two that R.C. asked for. He is NOT a planner, so when I asked him if he wanted to look at the Disney restaurants a couple of weeks before our ADR day - of course he said, “I have no idea what I’ll want to eat in SIX MONTHS, Darling.”

So in the end I just asked if he wanted Steak, Italian, Mexican, German (you get the picture) - and he picked Steak and Italian. And I went for the Yachtsman after reading a couple of Yachtsman vs. Le Cellier threads.

Dinner, Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)

Our dinner reservation at the Yachtsman was for 7:00 - and they took us right inside. We were taken to a table in the center of the restaurant - there were couples around us, but also tables of families with young children - several of whom where sleeping on “beds” made out of pushed-together chairs. It was a little bit like sitting down to dine in a creche. At nap-time.

Hmm…

Our waiter tonight was a typical East Coast steakhouse waiter, New Jersey accent and all. He did try and tell me (later) that I “probably didn’t understand” what medium-rare was (WHAT?) and he definitely wasn't "Disney friendly" - but he was efficient enough.

For drinks, I ordered a Diet Coke, Poot had tap water. There were only a few draught beers available - from them the waiter recommended the seasonal Sam Adams - so R.C. said he’d give that a try. He only had one - and said it “tasted American”. OK, then…

I had read a lot about the bread basket at the Yachtsman - and I was excited to try the onion rolls. They tasted good to me - but neither of the boys were keen.

Between the three of us we decided to go for steak, but something else, too. We picked:

32-oz Porterhouse for Two - trio of Steakhouse sides, beef fat potatoes and garlic butter $119

The Porterhouse was flavoursome - and it had a lovely char. The filet at Citricos was tastier, but this was a fun one to try - because of the presentation as well as the taste.

As many of you will know, the sides here are creamed spinach, caramelised onions and mushrooms...

...and they were all VERY, VERY rich. Creamed spinach is one of my favourite “bad foods” (I always make it for Christmas Eve dinner) - but this spinach wasn’t the best I’ve ever had - so I was a little disappointed.

R.C. took a serving of all the sides - but didn’t go back for seconds.

But what about those beef fat potatoes?

Those were good. Again, INCREDIBLY rich - but good. I would have been more than happy to have the steak, the potatoes - and a nice crisp salad. I really felt like the meal needed a clean, crunchy, cold vegetable to cut all that saturated fat.

We had also ordered:

Grilled Rack of Lamb ricotta cavatelli, brentwood corn, parsley root, maitake mushroom $48.00

It was very strange, the waiter tried to talk us out of ordering the lamb - “I’m sure you’ve come here for STEAK!” - but this dish was the winner tonight. American lamb DOES taste very different to European (or New Zealand) lamb - but it was still nice. And the sides with this were OUTSTANDING. Poot practically licked the plate. I’ve never tasted anything quite like the little pasta melange here - it was gorgeous. So much flavour, but without any of the heaviness of the steak’s side dishes.

By now it was about 8:00 PM, but the number of little children in the restaurant had not diminished. I was surprised, frankly - but it didn’t really affect our evening, since we were dining en famille. Again, if this had been meant as a romantic night out, I might have felt a bit differently. I think that’s why, had we been paying OOP - we would have gone to Shula’s for on-site steaks.

Time for pudding!

I wanted something light, after my rich dinner, so I picked:

Lime Semifreddo meringue, guava, blackberry $12.00

The waiter complimented my choice here, I had to smile. But condescending or not - he was right. This was very good indeed - light and fruity and a very nice contrast to the main dishes and sides. I couldn’t really distinguish much of a “lime” flavour - but it was still very tasty. Poot had a nibble, as he LOVES guava - but in the end he was certain that he had made the better dessert choice, with:

Chocolate-Peanut Cake pretzels, salted caramel gelato, liquid ganache $12.00

I’ve seen this dessert in other trippies - and while it was definitely too much for me on the night, Poot sure gobbled it up. He didn’t mention it again (unlike Starring Rolls’ Butterfinger cupcake and the Contempo Cafe’s peanut butter pie) - but he definitely enjoyed it.

R.C. always has sorbet or ice cream as his pudding. Always. So no-one was surprised when picked:

The Yachtsman Sundae trio of gelato and Amarena cherries $10.00

As you may have determined by now, R.C. is not the world’s best describer of food. His verdict: “Nice. It’s ice cream.”

Hurry, folks - book now! It’s nice! It’s ice cream!

We had two drink credits still to use tonight, so I asked R.C. if he wanted a cup of tea, but he passed. He paid the tip in cash (I assume at 20%, which is typical for him) - I tried to explain about the $200 gift card, but he is lovely and old-fashioned - so told me to use what was left on something for myself. Twist my arm…

If you are interested in our non-food activities (they were few ) for Day 17, the main trippie post is HERE.

Thanks for reading!