Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Jun 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Do blue M&Ms make you think of me too 😂 😆

Great choice on the islands. I wouldn’t bother with a day trip to BI unless the volcano comes back to life personally, lots of cost and effort? I get it if you’re seeing the lava though. We missed that by a few months!
😂 those and Spirit jerseys 🤣

Oh really that’s good to know. I suppose we could book a last minute inter island flight if it looks like the volcano is due to be active, it seems there are loads of flights everyday

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
We are (maybe) doing Texas this year. Flights 21 Aug so just depends if they happen or not.

We are flying Singapore Airways from Manchester-Houston return. Flights were £400pp inc luggage which seemed good value.

We only have two weeks so can't get out to Big Bend but itinerary is below (but may change a bit with Covid, most bookings are AirBnB or Hotels with late/low cancellation costs):

Arrive Houston then
2 days Galveston - Chilling
3 Days Dallas - Kennedy Museum/Stockyards/Baseball
1 Day Austin - Bats and Bars
3 Days Lake Travis - Chilling/Boating
1 Day on ranch Bandera
2 Days New Braunfels - Tubing/Waterpark
2 Days San Antonio - Riverwalk/Themepark
2 Days Corpus Christie
1 Night Houston - Nasa
Wow that’s a great price, I’d be very happy with paying that! You’ve got a similar itinerary to us just slightly condensed. I hope you get to go this year, would love to hear all about it when you return. Will you do a trip report?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I think you’re the first person I’ve come across that didn’t love Texas YT. We love the great outdoors so won’t spend too much time within big cities themselves. I had read that Houston was crazy busy so that’s why I didn’t choose to stay there. That does sound bonkers having shops off of 16 lane highways, makes LA sound tame!
Didn’t hate it- San Antonio I really liked. I’ve been to 26 states and I’d say it’s one of my least favourite though, particularly in the South.
Houston is kind of mad and as I say has a bit of a weird set up. Great zoo.
We also do a lot of National and State Parks. We did a lot on that trip but not as many in Texas as we’d planned as poor weather was coming in, so we hiked it over to Baton Rouge, La Fayette and New Orleans instead.
Give me Arizona and Utah over Texas any day but maybe I’ll go back one day!
Old 4 Jun 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
We are (maybe) doing Texas this year. Flights 21 Aug so just depends if they happen or not.

We are flying Singapore Airways from Manchester-Houston return. Flights were £400pp inc luggage which seemed good value.

We only have two weeks so can't get out to Big Bend but itinerary is below (but may change a bit with Covid, most bookings are AirBnB or Hotels with late/low cancellation costs):

Arrive Houston then
2 days Galveston - Chilling
3 Days Dallas - Kennedy Museum/Stockyards/Baseball
1 Day Austin - Bats and Bars
3 Days Lake Travis - Chilling/Boating
1 Day on ranch Bandera
2 Days New Braunfels - Tubing/Waterpark
2 Days San Antonio - Riverwalk/Themepark
2 Days Corpus Christie
1 Night Houston - Nasa
Woah
1 day in Austin is nowhere near enough,
Lake travis good but you could do the boating on Lake Austin, It is a fantastic city with so much to do.
We did a trip last year and where going back end of July but Singapore airlines have cancelled the route. I would check as they emailed me last friday.
We did Houston FW Austin and San Antonio and Austin was by far our favourite and we were going to do a week there thid time but will reschedule for Sep/Oct time next year and have a holiday in greece this year now
Old 4 Jun 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
😂 those and Spirit jerseys 🤣

Oh really that’s good to know. I suppose we could book a last minute inter island flight if it looks like the volcano is due to be active, it seems there are loads of flights everyday
There are loads. If you fly into Hilo the Volcano National Park is only about a 30 minute drive away You should try and hire a car in advance though as I have heard they can run out (small stock basically).

Funnily enough I’m wearing a spirit jersey right now - one of the best perks of home working! 😂
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Didn’t hate it- San Antonio I really liked. I’ve been to 26 states and I’d say it’s one of my least favourite though, particularly in the South.
Houston is kind of mad and as I say has a bit of a weird set up. Great zoo.
We also do a lot of National and State Parks. We did a lot on that trip but not as many in Texas as we’d planned as poor weather was coming in, so we hiked it over to Baton Rouge, La Fayette and New Orleans instead.
Give me Arizona and Utah over Texas any day but maybe I’ll go back one day!
Utah is definitely on my list for the Mighty 5 but we’ll wait until it’s just the 2 of us.
I floated a Rocky Mountain/Yellowstone/Grand Tetons road trip as well as Texas in front of the kids and OH but they all agreed on Texas. Only got a few years left for big family holidays so I should listen to them 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
There are loads. If you fly into Hilo the Volcano National Park is only about a 30 minute drive away You should try and hire a car in advance though as I have heard they can run out (small stock basically).

Funnily enough I’m wearing a spirit jersey right now - one of the best perks of home working! 😂
Good thinking about the car, I can imagine their stock is tiny.
How far in advance would you know about the lava flow?

😂 yes I can imagine that’s one of the major perks!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Another vote for Fredericksberg for a quainter town, Wimberley is like that too (although we didn't make it there ourselves)

Have a look at Singapore Airlines flights out of Manchester to Houston. Lovely airline to fly with and very reasonably priced.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

And we LOVED Texas. We've been to a lot of the US too but we just love the feel of Texas, it's hard to put a finger on what/why. Houston was the only let down, apart from the space center.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by toffeeman0 View Post
Woah
1 day in Austin is nowhere near enough,
Lake travis good but you could do the boating on Lake Austin, It is a fantastic city with so much to do.
We did a trip last year and where going back end of July but Singapore airlines have cancelled the route. I would check as they emailed me last friday.
We did Houston FW Austin and San Antonio and Austin was by far our favourite and we were going to do a week there thid time but will reschedule for Sep/Oct time next year and have a holiday in greece this year now
Yeah - I know you love Austin. We may shake up the plans yet and spend more time there.
Sorry your flights cancelled, ours is still on and bookable at the moment but who knows - it could well not happen.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List