Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile Buying flights without luggage/adding luggage on

I had an idea and I don’t know if it’s stupid.
Between the 3 of us we only ever take 2 bags. I was wondering if it made more sense to book hand luggage only flights and then just add 2 bags on.
I’m slightly worried as it does look like you don’t get to book pre-book seats and I really do not want us separated (I need to sit with my daughter for definite).
I can’t price this up yet as our flights haven’t been released, just wondered if it was an option or not.
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsSevSpaghetti View Post
I had an idea and I don’t know if it’s stupid.
Between the 3 of us we only ever take 2 bags. I was wondering if it made more sense to book hand luggage only flights and then just add 2 bags on.
I’m slightly worried as it does look like you don’t get to book pre-book seats and I really do not want us separated (I need to sit with my daughter for definite).
I can’t price this up yet as our flights haven’t been released, just wondered if it was an option or not.
Yes you can book just hand luggage then add some luggage at later date,we've done this for New York with BA. Not sure why you cant pre book seats, sorry. We've always booked our seats without problems,we do it on BA app.
Old 15 Jun 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile

Just one of the flights I looked at didn’t have it as an option with that economy ticket.
Anything to say money!
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
If you don’t have the option to book seats then you need to weigh up the cost savings against probability of not being able to sit with your daughter.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChocolateCake
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

We added the luggage on with virgin it was £45 per bag each way and then additional money to book seats, however the cost saved still equated to more than the cost of luggage included - there were 6 of us though.
ChocolateCake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

It’s a bit airline-dependent, since they have different ways of handling seat selection, varying differences between basic and baggage-inclusive fares, and different charges for prepaid baggage. Which airline are you considering?
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

We booked Hand Luggage only with BA when we went to Tenerife but used our Avios points for booking seats . When I go to Disney Florida next year with Granddaughter going to do Hand Luggage only and then add one case.
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChocolateCake View Post
We added the luggage on with virgin it was £45 per bag each way and then additional money to book seats, however the cost saved still equated to more than the cost of luggage included - there were 6 of us though.
We have done this on our next trip with Virgin/Delta. Got Flydrive Economy light) indirect £1,532 in July 3A + 1C with upgraded car and then booked seats (transatlantic flights only) and will limit 2 bags at £90 each return as we never wear half the clothes we take and in a villa so can do laundry, packing 5 days clothes per person inc travel day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
It’s a bit airline-dependent, since they have different ways of handling seat selection, varying differences between basic and baggage-inclusive fares, and different charges for prepaid baggage. Which airline are you considering?
United are free 23k in hold pp and free seat reservations.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bree1982
Gone all Goofy

Doing this very thing on Wednesday..!

We booked hand baggage only with BA GLA-MCO. We then added 1 checked 1 bag at £40 cost and $60 on the way home.

Saved a fortune as there are 6 of us, we only ever take 2 suitcases anyways, so now we just load up the cabin bags.

In all honesty we prob saves close to £1k on the price ofnthe flights

Brendan
bree1982 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List