Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Aug 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Personally for us no the reason we much prefer to eat off site rather then on we do like to stay on but not eat.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

We chose to book with the free dining offer (rather than waiting for a different offer) because we know we want to have lots of character meals, and it just makes sense for us.

(For DLP, we know exactly where we’ll be booking to eat, and can compare the exact cost of OOP to the cost of the meal plan, and then decide whether to get the meal plan.) For WDW, we don’t know exactly where we’d eat with/without the plan, so we’d only be able to guess afterwards if it was worth it. Even then, that would mean keeping an eye out for other offers on our hotel / dates to find out how much the free dining ‘cost’ us, then pricing up every meal and snack we had, AND deciding whether we’d have eaten differently off-plan. I don’t think I’ll be doing that, so we’ll never know! I’m happy just to know that the dining plan is a good match for the way we want to eat.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’ve just completed our 1st stay with DDP (booked with the free dining offer). We are classed as 4 adults for the purpose of the plan, and stayed 5 nights. We kept track of what it would have cost if we paid for everything we ate. Obviously we ate differently compared to our normal off site holiday. But if interested, we had 20 TS, 20 QS and 40 snacks. The value of the food we ate was $1808 (+$192 on tips and items not on the plan).

We were sceptical about it before going, but the fact it’s paid for, and we didn’t have to carry money with us was really convenient.
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

I love the Disney Dining Plan - even more so when it's free! But I did pay for it once. I would never buy the QSDP though. I just love the freedom of being able to order a posh steak that's $75 for instance, knowing that I'll only pay $13.5 for it (i.e the 18% tip).
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
pastylad
Excited about Disney

seems to me that most of the food in Disney is way overpriced giving the impression you are getting really good value/free food.

In my experience generally the food offsite is better quality and cheaper.

I do not think the dining plan offers good value once you look into the alternatives whats outside of the bubble.
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Yep...if it’s free it the best deal of the year...with $200 disney dollars too.

Otherwise maybe but you’d have to price it out dependent on what you eat. Someone gave me a link to a calculating site once...i’ll see if i can find it for you. Found it:

distripplanner

Edited at 12:14 PM.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
For us, as a couple, we’d only have it if free, and we were staying on site obviously. We don’t do character meals and like the occasional signature, but feel there are better value places to eat off site. Also, we just couldn’t cope with the quantities of food. We’d never pay for it.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

I’m here now with dd and I bought qsdp. We were here at Easter and had free ddp so had our fill of table service meals then and I knew we could eat very well with lots of variety on the qsdp. Also it worked out circa £50 per day for the 2 of us and I knew I’d spend more than that if paying Oop as we are solely onsite with no transport.

I have so far paid oop for one table service meal at dd favourite restaurant but other than that we are enjoying the food and flexibility of it.

Having said that if dh were here (or if I’d hired a car myself) I would not have bought the qsdp and I would never pay for the ddp either, too much food and there are so many lovely choices off-site

I often say that on ddp I put on 5-6 lbs in 2 weeks but I’d left to our own devices and eating what and when we want I can easily lost 5-6 lbs instead

Chocs

Edited at 12:38 PM.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefully
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Being on the Disney dinning plan is something I doubt I will do but I do generally wonder if it’s actually worth it. I’d love to see the figures of the plan vs oop.
I guess it’s cos you hear so many not using all their credits then it makes me wonder.
Hiya, were here now and it’s the first time on DDP, OMG I can’t believe I’ve not done it before... so worth it had some amazing table service meals really good wholesome food... loving it x
Hopefully is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 05:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Thing is , it is an individual thing. If you get it free surely it is a no brainer. But also there are different types.

At a Value you get ‘free breakfast’ which is actually one free QS credit you can use any time in any QS restaurant. So if you eat one meal a day - that’s sorted.

The QSDP is flexible if you don’t want to plan ahead, whereas the full DDP gets you lots of experiences such as character meals and som3 great restaurants.

We have only visited in winter (and our first trip was spent in winter coats with minus 2 temps) as we hate heat, so loss of appetite was n9 problem! We tended to have breakfast in our resort and then we’re not hungry till dinner.

We ate at a lot of Signatures so portions were not much bigger than here in the UK really (although still plenty). We often saved our TS credits from offsite or off plan days so we could do Signatures.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List