Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 15 Aug 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

For those who've done DCL & another cruise line

My question is this

So far we've just done one cruise, a 7 nighter on DCL.

We really enjoyed it although being 100% honest, there were a lot of noisy kids (yeah ok obviously), the wifi was extremely expensive and the food was "OK". By that I mean, the waiters went out their way, very very busy, got everything we asked but the food was, in our opinion, moderate restaurant quality not really the top class we'd somehow convinced ourselves to expect.

Now, perhaps our expectations were just insane! thousands of people all wanting dinner at the same time etc. so how perfect is it going to be ;-)

We're looking to do another cruise next year and wondering whether to go with Disney again. Known quantity great staff etc.

or try another one out of miami which seems to offer more choices

Thing is, if we try another cruise line we're worried that although we may gain let's say, better cost wifi, we may lose that Disney touch which was undeniably there on DCL!

So, to those who've done a DCL And a.n.other, did you miss the disney feel? or was it just as good without any of the drawbacks?
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

We are Gold on Disney and have also sailed with Royal Caribbean,NCL and Holland America.DCL has a lot to offer especially if you have young children but to us its not worth paying almost twice the price of the other lines.Our first choice now is probably Royal Caribbean-shows are not quite as good,service is as good,food is as good,activities can exceed depending on the ship,but for us DCL have priced themselves out .
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Very interesting indeed thanks for that! I'll have a good look at RC
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I cancelled my DCL to go with Royal to their new Island (£250m spent). It's been amazing. The Island is fabulous. The food and service great.
Compared to DCL:
1) Exact same itinerary, but went to superior Perfect Day Coco Cay Island, cost was $1500 less.
2) Drinks package, all you can drink, all high quality drinks cost me $49 a day. I'm not a big drinker, but even I got value- a few cocktails a day, bottles of Vitamin water, a beer, speciality coffees etc.
3) Ship has Ice rink (amazing ice show with drones and Olympic skaters), laser tag, escape rooms, climbing wall, wave rider etc.
4) ship 'Amplified' we've had a deck cabana at no extra cost this week, just get there early.
Service and quality has been outstanding. DCL has priced itself out for us, and my kids aren't bothered about meeting characters etc.
Old 16 Aug 19, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are about to embark on our third DCL adventure having previously done a 4 nighter on the Dream and 7 nights to Alaska on the Wonder. There is something just magical for us to be inside that Disney bubble and we have found the food and entertainment to be wonderful each time.

Our only other cruise experience has been a 7 night Caribbean out of Miami with Celebrity. Definitely matched DCL in terms of service, food and all other areas except entertainment, which was definitely not DCL standard. Value for money far exceeds DCL. We had a drinks package and gratuities included and there were various other deals to be had at time of booking. DCL don't really do deals which I suppose means they can fill their tubs without having to. Would absolutely recommend Celebrity.

Cruising is not my favourite holiday but nevertheless I do enjoy now and again but DCL is not value for money.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
My sister really loves Celebrity and DCL. My mum/dad sailed with RC and hated every minute of it, they have also sailed Norwegian (ok) and a couple of others (inc DCL).

We've sailed Cunard and DCL and wouldn't sail Cunard again. We're trying to figure out a date to sail Celebrity with my sister as she raves about them.

Doesn't help you at all of course, but as long as you book any cruise with the view of not comparing it to any previous one, you'll do fine.

Enjoy!
Old 16 Aug 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone that's really useful. I guess the answer is, it's a very personal decision but it's hard to know having only been on one

We dont do the disney characters so in a way RCL or Celebrity may well be a better choice for the price.
Old 16 Aug 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
My sister really loves Celebrity and DCL. My mum/dad sailed with RC and hated every minute of it, they have also sailed Norwegian (ok) and a couple of others (inc DCL).

We've sailed Cunard and DCL and wouldn't sail Cunard again. We're trying to figure out a date to sail Celebrity with my sister as she raves about them.

Doesn't help you at all of course, but as long as you book any cruise with the view of not comparing it to any previous one, you'll do fine.

Enjoy!
Can I ask what they didn't like about RC and what you didnt like about cunard (as we were thinking of a cunard for "ultimate old school luxury" but then we've not read any reviews yet)
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Interesting. I have only done one cruise - 7 nights round the Med in September on the Magic. We didn’t see many kids around, the adults only places were quiet and we found it perfect for two adults without children.

It felt like being on a glamorous luxury liner, we enjoyed every minute. Experiences such as Animators’ Palate where our own drawings danced with classic Disney characters are hard to beat. And Palo brunch and dinner were superb.

I guess the time of year and type of cruise may make a difference.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
Can I ask what they didn't like about RC and what you didnt like about cunard (as we were thinking of a cunard for "ultimate old school luxury" but then we've not read any reviews yet)
Cunard are like marmite. We’ve done 3 now and have 3 more booked and a future deposit for another.

I like the formal nights and loved it last week sat having pre dinner drinks in the Commodore club. There is stuff laid on but you need to find it and it’s not in your face. It does feel like going back in time in some respects. The Queen Mary 2 is a proper ocean liner and we’ve been lucky enough to travel on all 3 of their ships. The other 2 are very majestic though but the solid wood decks on the Queen Mary 2 really emphasise you are on a special ship and the way it cuts through the waves with very little movement is fantastic.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List