Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Discount Florida Car Hire
Unread 19 Aug 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Another no.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Second solo trip to WDW - Beach Club :)
Unread 19 Aug 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Swimming at the All Star Resort

I did a few years ago with an old laptop on the way home from Sanford. It was in the middle of the case wrapped in clothes. When we got home the laptop was on the top of the case all bashed with a cracked screen and had been turned on. There was a printout from customs advising the case had been opened for inspection.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our 15th 'Once in a lifetime' holiday
Unread 19 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by JAL View Post
unless its a very old laptop, it will have a lithium ion battery and they are not allowed in hold luggage.
Im afraid thats totally wrong. If fitted in appliance they are allowed in the hold.

See IATA sheet where it shows this.
iata/whatwedo/cargo/...um-battery.pdf

Hope this helps others.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weeks RC Flying in Corfu
Unread 19 Aug 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

If the battery is removable you would have to remove it and carry the battery in your hand luggage, the rest of the laptop can then placed in the hold. If you have a non-removeable battery fitted, as in ipads etc, you should then be allowed to place it in the hold.

Next Trip Sept '19
Jun 98 Apr 99 Dec 99 Apr 00 Mar 03 Jun/Jul 04 Dec/Jan 05/06 Jul 06 Dec 06 Jun/Jul 08 Jun/Jul 09 Jul/Aug 11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov 15 Villa/GF/Poly Sep 16 Villa/BWV May'18 Villa/BLT/AKL
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
APs in hand.. Back for Rise of the Resistance
Unread 20 Aug 19, 04:04 AM  
Link to this Post
GlenWa73
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

No. No batteries in the hold. Risk of fire.
Unread 20 Aug 19, 04:09 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GlenWa73 View Post
I've never understood this. If they are a fire risk in the hold surely they are just as much of a risk in the cabin ? (More so in fact as they are more likely to be turned on in the cabin)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 20 Aug 19, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I've never understood this. If they are a fire risk in the hold surely they are just as much of a risk in the cabin ? (More so in fact as they are more likely to be turned on in the cabin)
Its because the cabin is pressurised and hold not or at least that is what I was told but I would have thought that aerosols would be at risk of explosion in the hold.

I used to manage the it for a large plc we had loads of laptops smashed when people put them in the hold.
Sew109 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR ex Construction Site
Unread 20 Aug 19, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Imagineer

Claudette's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by GlenWa73 View Post
I have never, ever read anything about laptops being a potential fire hazard in the hold. I have also specifically searched after seeing a couple of posts on this thread claiming that it is forbidden to put laptops in the hold.

My search revealed a general consensus that it is not a good idea to put a laptop in the hold, but this is attributed to it being a valuable item. There was no mention of fire hazards and definitely nothing to say that there are any aviation rules about it. I guess if there were airlines would take steps to ensure that people dont put laptops in the hold.
Claudette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disney 2019 v 2
Eat and Play Card