Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Anyone dislike DLP

So I appreciate this is controversial but spent three days in Paris and came to DLP. As a family we were honestly not impressed by Disney studios. Disneyland we preferred it was very pretty and reminded me of Florida a lot. We went having no expectations and knew of course it would be different from WDW so it wasn’t that. I was actually so excited at getting the Disney buzz 90 mins flight away with no jet lag. Hated the fastpass system and didnt realise it was only a few rides which had it. Really didn’t hit the spot for us - we won’t be back - maybe it’s the kids age now (16 and 10) but they felt the same and much preferred the few days in Paris. We love WDW and were there in summer. I think my kids have outgrown it but I haven’t !
Never mind ! I can see the appeal though for younger kids, short flight from the uk

Edited at 10:52 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

We love it! It’s where our love for Disney parks began back in 2001. I think you need to do DLP before WDW to get this feeling. My kids have grew up there as we’ve been taking g them since babies before we took them to WDW. WDW is a proper big holiday where as DLP a short break. I’ve been to Tokyo Disneyland & Disneyland in California & I love them all!

PS I’m off next week for my 26 time!

Edited at 11:02 PM.
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerbelle
Apprentice Imagineer

We love going to DLP however after 3 trips in 2 years we need something more. When we went for our second trip we really really enjoyed the studios but to be honest on our 3rd trip in October we really struggled in this park as it was feeling very neglected. I will look forward to going back in a couple of years when the huge expansion of the studios has happened because that Park will then really come into its own.
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Us Neice Husbsnd won't fly so they came with us to my brothers home in France spentb3 days in Paris they loved it then 3 days at Disney ques smoking rude staff poor food ( by the French standard we are used to at DLB local small family eaterys )
They loved the last 2 weeks at my brothers
Neice and G Neice did Florida this year on there own at ours Gemma
Drove and they loved it
GN 9 notimressed with 2 weeks in Devon this summer
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We did Paris first, so had nothing to compare it to.
We really did enjoy it but having done Florida now would say Florida is 100x better but I still would visit Paris, especially once they have completed the expansions. I think for me the price of it just makes my eyes water when you think it how much more you get for your money in Florida. We did get an amazing deal when we went in 2017 paid £300 for 1 adult and 2 kids for 4 nights/5 days hotel Santa Fe and tickets. (Travel not included in that) not seen anything even close to that price since though!
Some of the rides in Paris are better/unique and I think sleeping beauty’s castle is very pretty but the food is terrible in Paris and so overpriced!
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerbelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

There are ways to do DLP on a budget - our October trip was for a week. We had year passes because they were cheaper than buying 7 days worth of park tickets, this also gave us Disney discount and free parking. We drove and then took the ferry, which was only £35 return. We also stayed in an Airbnb that was so close the the park you could hear the music and fireworks at night. We catered for ourselves by taking our usual weekly shop with us and then took sandwiches and snacks into the parks with us.

It is doable - probably still not for £300 but certainly cheaper than it can be
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

We weren't keen either but I agree with other posters I think it you do DLP before Orlando it might be different.
Not sure if it's the same but when we were there (9 yrs ago) there weren't queues for the character meets, everyone just pushed in! I ended up being what I classed as rude and shoving dd forward for her turn!
It didn't help that we only had the day there so has to cram everything in and felt like a long day as wanted to stay for fireworks. To top It off it rained mist of the day!
We didn't do the studios so can't comment on them.
We've certainly never felt the need to rush back anyway!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tiggerbelle View Post
There are ways to do DLP on a budget - our October trip was for a week. We had year passes because they were cheaper than buying 7 days worth of park tickets, this also gave us Disney discount and free parking. We drove and then took the ferry, which was only £35 return. We also stayed in an Airbnb that was so close the the park you could hear the music and fireworks at night. We catered for ourselves by taking our usual weekly shop with us and then took sandwiches and snacks into the parks with us.

It is doable - probably still not for £300 but certainly cheaper than it can be
People are always shocked when I say how much I paid for it! I even still question how cheap it was haha!
Will probably go back once the marvel bits are done as I know my boys would be in their element with that! Although I do want to try California too at some point.
Probably would try offsite, there isn’t so much of an incentive to stay onsite in Paris as there is Florida. We rarely were awake in time for magic hours.
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Been 12 times now, before and after WDW. Love it - it is our home.

You just need to do your research and enjoy it as a French experience, not an American one.

Many of the rides are newer and better. The theming is more detailed. The character interaction is superb, they take ages with each person.

There is some wonderful food if you avoid the burgers/fries type places. Walt’s and Remy’s are excellent.

Service is not American style as Europeans find that fake and tacky. So the CMs mostly assume you want to be left alone to enjoy yourself and won’t interact unless asked. But they blossom if you start a conversation (especially in bad 30 year old school French like mine!)

Yes, people smoke - that’s France for you. But it is no worse than my daily commute in London. Very easy to dodge.

I would argue the weather is better than Florida as 99% of the time it is neither too hot nor too cold, wheareas I can’t take the Florida heat and would only go in winter.

And speaking of winter, I have done the Christmas season in both WDW and DLP does it better. Actual snow helps of course!

Our next trip is in September and we can’t wait. The new Lion King Festival looks amazing, particularly the show (very different from the WDW one, more a Broadway style show) and the castle show with the Indian drummers. The food festival in Studios should be great too.

Yes, Studios was built on 50p out of Michael Eisner’s back pocket. But now that Disney completely own DLP there is lots of investment happening. And meanwhile, Ratatouille and Mickey & the Magician are award-winning attractions, not to mention ToT, Stitch Live (much funnier than Turtle Talk) and Crush’s Coaster.

Go at a quieter time (avoid weekends of French/Spanish holidays), look for a bargain (30% off and free half board is a common one) book your own transport (usually cheaper) and enjoy!

Our next trip is costing just over £200 for Eurostar, and just over £200 for 3 nights in the Ibis which is 5 minutes away by RER. We will mostly eat offsite and will get annual passes.
Other parks: Tokyo

Edited at 06:12 AM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I have been to Anaheim x1 (first holiday) and lost count of times to Florida! ..I have been to Paris 3 times and must say i love it just as much! The reason i go to Paris less often is simply because i enjoy the longer holiday (Paris being max 5 days)..I think the rides are mostly better in Paris and i think the MK park in both Anaheim & Paris is more "magical"!
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List