Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 19 Aug 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile How do you cook yours?

In all my adult life.. I’ve never mastered a perfect soft boiled egg to go with toast soldiers.

I want a runny yolk and a set white.. that stringy gooey white part of the egg gives me the fear when under cooked.

I’ve tried all methods, all different timings, starting with water cold then bought up to the boil, placing directly into boiling water without success.

It always seems to get the white as set as I like it the yolk isn’t runny enough.

How do you cook yours?
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I don’t eat them as the only eggs I like are scrambled but my children don’t complain. I put the eggs in when water is cold. When it starts bubbling, I set the timer for 5 minutes. Anything longer than that and the yolk is too hard to dip soldiers.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
In all my adult life.. I’ve never mastered a perfect soft boiled egg to go with toast soldiers.

I want a runny yolk and a set white.. that stringy gooey white part of the egg gives me the fear when under cooked.

I’ve tried all methods, all different timings, starting with water cold then bought up to the boil, placing directly into boiling water without success.

It always seems to get the white as set as I like it the yolk isn’t runny enough.

How do you cook yours?
Same as you, I can create some lovely dishes and enjoy cooking but can I soft boil an egg... not a chance!

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I don’t eat them as the only eggs I like are scrambled but my children don’t complain. I put the eggs in when water is cold. When it starts bubbling, I set the timer for 5 minutes. Anything longer than that and the yolk is too hard to dip soldiers.
Right.. tomorrow I shall try this method. I went for scrambled today as it was just easier than facing a hard boiled egg.
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Unorthodox I know, but my fool proof method for dippy eggs is to poach them instead, then I can see when they are ready I’ve got little bowls that I put them in ready for their soldiers. Poaching them also gets rid of the shell, I really don’t like having to faff with food once it’s cooked
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

I just use my egg boiler, lovely eggs every time.
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Unorthodox I know, but my fool proof method for dippy eggs is to poach them instead, then I can see when they are ready I’ve got little bowls that I put them in ready for their soldiers. Poaching them also gets rid of the shell, I really don’t like having to faff with food once it’s cooked
I poach mine in the microwave, crack an egg in half a cup of water with a dash of vinegar cover with a saucer and cook on full power for 40-50 secs.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by LadyAurora View Post
I just use my egg boiler, lovely eggs every time.
Me too. I do love my kitchen gadgets ! Different settings to cook just how you want them.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by boltyboy View Post
I poach mine in the microwave, crack an egg in half a cup of water with a dash of vinegar cover with a saucer and cook on full power for 40-50 secs.
Never tried it that way
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by boltyboy View Post
Same as you, I can create some lovely dishes and enjoy cooking but can I soft boil an egg... not a chance!
It’s so annoying. I can bake, cook intricate savoury dishes, and even poach an egg but the perfect soft boiled egg eludes me