Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Aug 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

how to reduce sky TV

We are currently paying 135.00 pound a month for sky tv and broadband I am going to ring today to try and reduce the cost this is just ridiculous any ideas how I can do this going to cancel movies but hubby wants sports tv ... do you think I could cancel it and then reinstate it in my hubbys name as I have seen new customers getting it for as little as 35 pound a month ? any help advice appreciated thanks
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Boothy16
Trying for More Ears

That seems quite steep.

We are paying £86 with movies and sports included.

We just have sky HD and unlimited broadband.

We are out of contact with them so we in process of getting our bill down friends have same package but have sky Q as us and pay £65 per month.

Edited at 12:54 PM.
Boothy16 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That sounds extortionate. Have you priced up other TV services ? l would check which services you are paying for and decide if you actually need them all. Ring up to cancel, have an amount you are willing to pay in mind say you can no longer afford these payments. When I have done this I have usually been given a good offer, occasionally not, said I will cancel but have been called by the retentions team a few days later with a better offer.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Ring them up and threaten to go elsewhere. I'm with Virgin and did that - rang and said I'd got a good deal with Sky and they were able to give me exactly what I wanted, without extras which I didn't want, for half the price I was paying Virgin (this was actually true). All of a sudden the blokey on the phone was able to change my package and I now pay half of what I was paying.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

I’ve actually rang them today as my 18mnth contract was coming to an end and my discounted package for sky tv with entertainment, kids, cinema and sports, hd, box sets etc for £68/month was going up to £83/month.

I went through to retentions and told them I needed to reduce my costs and they offered £68/month (same discount) or £56/month (without sports).

I held my nerve and said sorry still too much I want to cancel altogether. She then put me through to cancellations who asked why I wanted to cancel. I told them cost was too much and I really needed to get it under £55/month.

He came back with £54/month for 18 month contract keeping everything I had (Dh didn’t have to sacrifice sports) so very happy.
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
...do you think I could cancel it and then reinstate it in my hubbys name as I have seen new customers getting it for as little as 35 pound a month ?
Completely variable unfortunately depending on whom you contact at Sky.
We gave up on phoning and used the chat option on Sky.com.
We've had Sky since 1989 so have tried lots of ways to keep the subscription down.
Going against the grain we avoid bundles. We found using Plusnet, BT or Virgin for broadband, using BT for landline, and paying separately for TV works out best, especially when it comes to cancelling.
Unfortunately loyalty counts for nothing, the best prices are generally offered when you go through cancellations.
We had Sky Q, and fibre broadband at our previous house, but we have stuck with Sky HD and copper broadband here, it works fine for us, and saves money.
So, for broadband, we are paying BT £5 per month for unlimited downloads, plus £19.99 for a landline, with unlimited, evening & week-end calls.
We no longer have BT Sport since they put the price up.
We don't have Sky Movies, or Sky Sports.
We pay Sky £25 per month for their basic package plus Box Sets. We pay £10 per month for F1. We don't ever pay for Box Office movies or sports events. We have HD included in the price.
So in total we pay £35 per month to Sky. Adding what we pay to BT brings our total for Broadband, landline and TV to £59.99.

That's the best we can do.

We could have Virgin without the landline but it means upgrading to fibre which costs more, and you can't go back to copper.

To put that in perspective, our neighbour has the full Sky package including movies and sports in HD, she's paying £20 per month.
For some reason that doesn't include F1.
She's recently upgraded to BT fibre for no extra cost but she'll be paying £59.99 after 18 months unless she sorts a new deal. She's only paying £9.99 at the moment.

I'm probably not much help as everybody wants different things.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Strategy to reduce costs
1) what are you signed up to , many pay for more then they use
2) what do you actually want, do you really need the fastest broadband
3) Are their alternative services. eg instead of movies how about NowTV , same movies just come over broadband.
4) Do you have more then 1 TV box do you need them all
5) Are there other providers eg BT, Virgin etc. check out offers for all providers so you know whats on the market.
Sky offering new custs :Sky Entertainment + Superfast Broadband with Broadband Boost £39 per month plus £100 cash back
Virgin: The Bigger bundle with Sports for just £65 per month (was £72), including BT Sport, Sky Sports and ultrafast fibre + Up to £200 Cashback
6) How much do you really want to pay
Once you know all that your in a strong position to negotiate. When you do ring them be pleasant and explain what you services you actually want and what the max you are willing to pay is. If the price is not what you want don't be afraid to cancel as generally they will come back to you within a week with an offer.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

Swap to Now TV. Very quick search without incuding cashback or new customer offers shows that you can have Superfast broadband, Sports, Movies, and Entertainment Package for £78.
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
Swap to Now TV.
Now TV picture quality looks awful on big screen TVs, that's probably deliberate, not being HD.
Be great for us otherwise.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We have Sky Q and we pay for multiroom, and have their fastest fibre broadband, landline, entertainment pack, sports pack, F1 and movies and ours is £79 a month.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List