Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Aug 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Taxis - Chicago O’Hare

Hi Everyone

My parents are going to Chicago next month, and I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to their hotel from the airport.

I was debating Uber, but the whole having to get WiFi, then potentially losing it whilst going to the pickup, is just way too much

I’m kind of settling for a taxi, as it seems to be the easiest, but was after some pointers please.

I’ve checked the airport website, and it states there’s a set pickup point to go to. Do they work the same way as NYC? So they would get an agreed price before leaving the airport?

They are staying at the Fairmont at Millenium Park, which is only 17 miles away, but in heavy traffic can take over an hour, so I don’t want them ending up being charged a fortune.

Or - would I be better prebooking something from here myself?

Thanks in Advance

Gill x
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi - the taxis aren't set fare like NY but work in the same way to get one - go the official point where you'll be assigned a taxi by the dispatcher. And as per NY avoid any other offers of taxis at the airport as many scammers.

Fare will be cheaper than NY (JFK) even though on the meter. Think our fare was $35 and we literally crawled all he way there - took 1h45 in rush hour!

There is a train that runs direct as well which is obviously a lot cheaper (and usually quicker) but of course would mean having to trail your luggage on and off platforms etc - for a first time visitor unless budget is a real issue I'd stick with a taxi.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks so much Olympiad!

I think (for ease) a taxi is the way to go. I’ve used the Uber fare quote app, and to be honest the prices don’t seem any different anyway.

I’d rather they went to the official cab rank and took an actual cab, saves all the faff xx
Old 19 Aug 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

No problem and I think you’re right about Uber.

Certainly for airport transfers prices seem to be starting to match standard taxi fares. We took one from our hotel to Dulles airport (DC) last Sunday and the price was the same as the quoted taxi rate. Still a lot cheaper for shorter hops though.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

Yep, that’s how it seems - not so much when surge kicks in mind ha ha

We used them from Vegas airport in Feb. I’m very used to using Uber, and quite technically minddd, but after 24 hours of no sleep, plus a VERY long day travelling via Philadelphia, my brain was barely functioning to work out WiFi connections, pickups etc. I really don’t want to put that on them too xx