Notices

Old 11 Dec 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Do you wanna build a snowman? Nilsiä Pre-Trip Report- Update

Hi All!

Well in just over two weeks me, DH and DS’ 12 and 9 are heading to Helsinki, then Nilsiä in Finland. We are meeting up with my brother, wife and three children (one of whom I’m yet to meet!). The last time I saw him was 2015 so it’s a long overdue visit.

He lives in Helsinki and we’ve been lucky enough to have a few holidays there. The boys were totally spoilt by the weather last time and we got lots of snow.

(Obviously a lot smaller then!)

But the last few Christmas’ haven’t been that snowy in Helsinki which is why we are heading North to a cottage in Nilsiä. It’s not far from a ski resort so I’m hoping to take the boys there at least once during our stay.

The last time we went to Helsinki at Christmas we caught the overnight train to Rovaniemi in Lapland which is something I would definitely recommend. (Children travel free with each adult-bonus!).

The youngest, in particular, would love to do that again but we won’t be doing so on this trip so I hope he isn’t too disappointed!

I’m not sure how interesting a trip report it will be as it’s going to be hopefully quite a relaxing trip but I thought it might give people a different idea for where they can go on holiday.
It cost £500 for flights from Manchester and just under £1000 for accommodation for 7 nights.
Just one more thing before I go...

The boys don’t yet know... sshh! 😉

Update:

Well a few days after posting this DS12 played football and hurt his knee! After two days of moaning about how much pain he’s in, I took him to the doctors who sent him to a&e. An x-ray shows he has a hairline fracture on his kneecap and has to rest it completely. He has a splint and crutches! 😔

We have an appointment with the fracture clinic on Monday so I’m hoping they tell me some good news!

Edited at 10:29 PM. Reason: Update
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

My son went on an english exchange to a town about a 5 hours' train ride from Helsinki and loved everything about it! My DD will do the same trip in 2019!

It seems like such a great country so will look forward to reading about it!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Looks amazing, looking forward to reading about it

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List