Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 20 Aug 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile 8 people & one long day, making the most of it!

A quick-ish overview of our amazing day of Disney

Sunday 12th August
Tickets pre-booked through attraction tickets at £51 each for 1 day 1 park, adults were at kids prices & we could print at home so no need to visit guest services.
2 families together,
Family number 1, us! 2 adults, a 12yr old & a very nearly 8 year old. We've all been lucky enough to visit numerous times though visiting as an off site guest was a new thing to us.
Family number 2, our best friends. 2 adults, an 8yr old & a 2yr old both a month away from birthdays. Bonus of the youngest still being free. Never been to a Disney park before with one of the adults not really bothered about going.

The Disney visit was part of a 3 week stay in France stopping at various campsites. Something we do every year but again was a new experience to family number 2. When we visited DLP we were staying at Les Etangs Fleuris. 25min drive from Disney, a well kept smallish site. 2 2bed caravans for sat-weds was just over £600 through Canvas so great value.

We had a fantastic long day & really made the most of our tickets, it was a lovely Disney fix to keep us going. We obviously chose the main Disneyland Parc & managed to do far more than we'd anticipated.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

The drive from the camp site was super easy, we left just before 7.30 & were parked up right at the front after paying our €25 before 8am. Getting out the car & hearing the typically Disney jolly music is a fantastic feeling!
We made the short walk past the station & through a que free bag check with no issues. Headed to the village for a McDonald's for breakfast where we found locked doors, apparently they were having technical issues, so it was a Starbucks instead.
Coffees, croissants, pancakes & a couple of croques was more than enough to fill us up for the morning ahead, 9am & already €100 lighter (parking & food!) we excitedly headed to the gates.

Edited at 10:46 PM.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

It was slightly odd standing in the queue watching all the onsite guests heading in for EMH & also not to have a schedule of reservations/fastpasses to stick to. I did have a rough plan for the morning in my mind & had asked family #2 just to trust me & believe there was method to my madness.
The park opening hours were 10am-11pm but like all seasoned DLP visitors we all know this isn't strictly true & at 9.30 the gates were opened for us.
Our cheapie ATD print offs scanned no problem & within minutes we were in.
Watching the kids faces as they got their first view of the castle is priceless but even more so with the girls seeing it for the 1st time. One of those precious moments where you know the work to pay for it is totally & utterly worth it.
Making the most of the quietness we stopped off to take photos of the kids in the bandstand then headed down mainstreet.

1st stop off of the day, the dragon! I love this, I love that it isn't in WDW & that many don't realise it's there. I knew going now we'd be alone & there wouldn't be others spoiling it with flash photography. 5 minutes later & with none of us eaten alive I guided us all into fantasyland to see if anyone had the power to pull the sword out the stone. Everyone had a good go but clearly we need to work on our strength for next time so moving on it was ride time.

Dumbo was my plan so I sent off the troops to the queue while I went to secure these beauties before joining them.

Mental plan of attack going well so far!

I meant to add before, I haven't checked with our friends whether they mind me using their photos on here so for now it'll just be the 4 of us & generics.
Old 20 Aug 18, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

The 15min queue for Dumbo went fast & I knew it would only get longer later in the day so was pleased to tick it off the list.

We'd left the pushchair by Peter Pan so after our spin with the elephants we headed over to the loos by Pinocchio. Having a 2yr old with us meant lots of these stops throughout the day!
Fastpass time next & we got to be the smug people getting jealous looks walking past a long line. We were the 1st ones to go through so no wait at all, loaded safely into 2 ships we enjoyed our soar over London.
As we waited for family #2 to get off I sent my lucky DH on a run over to Big Thunder Mountain in the hope of fastpasses for later in the day agreeing to meet at Pirates of the Caribbean entrance.
We grabbed the pushchair & mooched to POTC where we admired the pirate ship, DH appeared a minute later with fastpasses in hand.

Our time was 15.20 which was ideal as the youngest was likely to be asleep at that time.
POTC was a short queue & with the boats holding so many you pretty much move all the time anyway. I was actually really impressed with this ride, it's had a refurb since our last visit & it was obvious. The drops were bigger than I'd remembered too, I had to quickly lean over & hold on the 2yr old as they were sat on the row in front & I'd forgot to warn them!

Ride number 3 ticked off & deciding to leave that side of the park for later we crossed through fantasyland & towards my next planned destination, a bit of buzz lightyear.

Edited at 12:03 AM.
Old 21 Aug 18, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Buzz is our sons favourite ride at DLP, when emh used to be 2hrs we'd ride this over & over. My score is always rubbish because he's in charge of spinning so we do, constantly!

It wasn't overly hot at this point so we just enjoyed the walk taking everything in.

As our BTM fastpasses weren't for a few hours we knew we could get others in the meantime. The queue for buzz was 25mins as was star tours so we (I) decided to fastpass star tours because the youngest is too small for that & I wanted a ride we could all do while she still had lots of energy.

Fastpasses quickly grabbed we hopped in the queue for buzz. Plied the kids with snacks & dutifully shuffled along until we were boarded.
We temporarily stopped at a high score target meaning I actually did really well for a change. I was far happier than an grown adult should have been, I finally beat DH! Go me haha

Star tours fastpasses were active already so from one ride straight to the next with dad of family number 2 staying with the littlest. We asked for a parent swap ticket too because of the fastpass timeframe only being for 30minutes we knew there was a good chance we wouldn't be out in time for him to use his.
Despite only having 2 star wars fanatics amongst us we all enjoyed this one, I like it's a bit different each time.
Back out & we swapped over childcare duties so he could ride & their 9yr old joined him for a 2nd ride too.
It was somehow past midday already & keen to feed the kids before hanger set in we arranged to meet up with them in cafe Hyperion. A good idea at the time but looking back it wasn't the best choice.
Service was so slow, choice limited & generally over priced. But the location suited us, it was cool and shady plus DS could watch star wars rebel which provided an easy bribe to get him to eat. All 3 of the younger ones eat like sparrows.
The 2 were back from their ride before we'd even got food which was good because we hadn't considered how we'd get 4 trays of food & a pushchair upstairs to where we'd sent the others to sit!

I won't go into massive details over the food other than it was €100 & my advice to anybody eating there would be to ask for the sauce separate to the burgers. They put that much on they were sloppy making them really difficult to eat, bite one side & it all falls out the other.
DS was asking to go on star tours again so I gave up on the dodgy burger & popped out to pick up a few more if the magical fastpasses.
Not fancying being thrown around in a simulator so soon after food the 2 dad's & 2 middle kids of the group went off. Eldest was happy with a coke & a bit of Wi-Fi for 10minutes & youngest was starting to fall asleep.

By the the time we tidied up our mess & made it back outside they were just coming out the ride & we were reunited.

Edited at 12:42 AM.
Old 21 Aug 18, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

6 goes on 5 rides, dragon, sword & lunch done plus the BTM passes secured for later I was more than happy with how much we'd done & didn't really have a plan from that point. 2yr old now flat out in her pushchair & a surprisingly short 30min wait time showing for Autopia I suggested that as our next ride. I volunteered to stay with the sleeping little miss so whilst the other 6 went off to join the queue I found a bench in the sun with a breeze coming off the water around hyperspace to keep her cool. She got some much needed sleep & I got to do some amazing people watching. The weird & wonderful visit DLP!

It took a little longer than shown for them to ride but it's always a bit like that on Autopia I think. The kids loved it though.

My sleeping company woke just as they came off so perfect timing. We met by the toilets so we could refill our water bottles (€1 in decathlon if you find yourself in France without refillable bottles for Disney!).

All feeling a bit hot we decided a wonder to adventureland to go through Aladdin Passage & some cave exploring. I say we, by this point family number 2 had already said they understood why I'd done things the way I had & were happy to follow my lead. This would keep us in the shade, let the 2yr old have a run around & take us the right direction for the fast approaching fastpasses.

Edited at 01:05 AM.
Old 21 Aug 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Aladdins passage was a nice way to cool off for 5mins & as always the music got stuck in my head. Does anyone mange to go in there & not come out singing?

A quick run through some of the caves & we arrived at BTM. Our 7yr old doesn't really like this ride, it's too noisy but I'd bribed him with the promise of an ice cream to go on. We headed to the fastpass entrance & asked for a parent swap ticket, us 2 moms were staying with the youngest while the other 5 rode so off they went while we wondered to the exit.

The queue was 90 mins but just 10mins later they were out & with the exception of DS had all loved it. We still had our 2 fastpasses plus the parent swap ticket so now it was our turn & the 2 kids came back on for a 2nd ride. The littlest had been so good waiting so I told the dads to take her & ds over to the pirate ship playground & we'd meet them there.

Another fantastic ride, mom #2 screamed & had us all in fits of laughter. Fps had worked well & we were off really fast so were soon back with the others for a 10min rest as they all played.

4pm now so we chatted about what we all wanted to do next. Our 12yr old had been really good all day & last time we visited was too short for Indiana so we decided to split up at this point. The other 6 went back to fantasyland to do a few rides they could all go on & I took our eldest for some head rattling upside down fun on Indiana.

I'd forgotten how shaky & short this coaster is! But DD was pleased to finally go on it as it's the only thing at DLP she'd never done. It was really hot now & I'd left everything with DH so we had no drink or money with us. Thankfully there was some shade in the queue but by the time we met back up with the other outside Bella Notte at 5pm we were dying for a drink.

Whilst we'd been gone the others had been on the carousel & the story book boats which they all seemed pleased with. The parade was due to start at 5.30 so we chilled out for a bit & discussed everything we'd done so far.

Bang on time the parade started & as we were at the start of the route it didn't feel like we'd waited long at all. I spent most the time watching the reaction on the 2yr olds face as her idols passed by. It was amazing! The only disappointment was that her absolute favourite Minnie was on the other side of the float so she didn't really see her.

DH hadn't got round to getting DS the promised ice cream for riding BTM so as the parade ended that was our priority. We just went to the nearest place, the ice cream parlour just past Bella Notte as your heading back into Fantasyland. More super slow service but we got there in the end & DS was pleased. We managed to get a little table so could sit & enjoy them whilst debating what to do next.

As the 2yr old hadnt got to see Minnie we went on to the app to see if she had a meet & greet. We'd been using the app all day & it was only at the point we realised dad of family number 2 was on the California one instead. We mocked him, alot!

We saw she was still meeting in town square so they popped her back in her pushchair & went off in the hope of some Minnie cuddles. Their eldest decided she'd rather stay with us for some more rides so just the 3 of them went & while the 3 bigger kids finished their ice cream with DH I went off on a fastpass mission again.
Old 21 Aug 18, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Fastpass trip successful I'd got 2 for star tours (again!) For DS & I which were active pretty much straight away then 5 for everyone else to go on space mountain in an hour. DS is tall enough but I know he isn't ready & he really does love star tours.
We finished up the yummy but expensive ice cream & headed through the short cut to discoveryland. DH took the 2 girls to queue for obitron (why does this always have a long queue? It's not that good!) & we went for our trip to a galaxy far far away. For the last time or so I thought.

It was as good as ever, no idea where we went but DS loved it. The 3 others were still queuing for obitron so DS joined them while I had a nice 15min relax to myself.

Family #2 parents & little one returned over the moon with their Minnie meet & a new Minnie plush in tow of course Just as the others were on the ride.

Fun had by all the hyperspace mountain FPs were active so off they went to that while I took DS & the 2yr old off for some much needed dinner.

I'd planned Bella Notte but the app showed it has closed at 7, which of course makes perfect sense on a busy day in August. So I took us to Pinocchios instead knowing they sell hot dogs which would go down well.

This was so much better than lunch. Both ate well which was a bit of a relief, I was fully prepared to deal with 4 tired kids later but tired and hungry would've been a bit of a nightmare!

A nice chilled out meal for the 3 of us & the others appeared. They'd loved the ride, even the 8yr year old I'd been a bit worried about. BTM had been her 1st coaster & I know hyperspace is a lot darker & faster.

It was somehow already 8.30 so we decided to split up to do the last bits we wanted to & some souvenir shopping before meeting back up for illuminations.

Edited at 05:30 PM.
Old 21 Aug 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

The other had some Mexican food for dinner... somewhere. They said it was actually very nice but again the slow service was frustrating. They treated the girls to some new toys & went into the castle to look at the stain glass windows.

Meanwhile the 4 of us also split with dh taking ds to the maze for a run around whilst I stayed with Zoe in Pinocchios for another hot dog meal (Just her, not me!). Luckily she eats quick so we also made it to the maze just before it closed.

After some fun in there using what little energy we had left we felt we really had done everything we wanted to. So what to so next? The happiest boat ride of course.

It's cheesy, it gets stuck in your head but it's Disney. A must do I think. We count 304 dolls between us!

Time was getting on now & we'd promised the kids they could spend their euros from Nanny & grandad if they wanted. The obvious choice for DS was back to star tours as he'd eyed up the storm trooper helmet earlier in the day. When we got there the wait time was only 5 minutes so once again we were off into space much to his delight. One ride later & €35 spent on the helmet we were out & walking back to the hub to find a spot for Illuminations.

It was busy. So busy! The park had actually been quieter than we anticipated all day but now at 10.15pm we could see just how many people were still in the park. We carefully chose where to sit & wait & had a fantastic view.

Messages were exchanged & we somehow managed to direct our friends to join us. All knackered we were more than happy to sit & wait for the show.

It started to rain at some point but fortunately stopped & we got to watch it properly. No fireworks though? Lightening nearby though so guess that's why.

I still thing Dreams was better but Illuminations was excellent & a great way to end our time at Disney.

We left with the masses afterwards. DS was so tired I carried him all the way from hub to car park! My poor arms

DH took Zoe into the jewellers to chose something for herself & bought me a lovely little something too. They got to the car only a few minutes after us so guess I walked slow carrying our son & they walked quick knowing I'd be waiting.

Feeling relieved we'd parked to so close to the front, don't think I could've carried him any further! We got out of the car park no problem & after a scary drive home thanks to a crazy hail storm & lightening we were back at the campsite jist after midnight.

Edited at 08:03 PM.
Old 21 Aug 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

So that was It, our flying DLP visit over with.

We had a great time. It was a long hectic day but we got so much more done than I'd imagined and best of all our friends loved it. Even the dad of the family who hadn't really wanted to go, he was telling another family at the campsite the next day that it was worth the money.

I got to see the look on their children's faces as they saw the castle & characters & we were happy to be back in our 1st Disney home.

WDW is amazing but there's still something so special about DLP to us.

Would I recommend a day trip, Absolutely! Yes staying onsite is fantastic but if you can't afford it like we couldn't this year then I can give a big thumbs up to the campsite as an option. Though paying 2 lots of €25 to park was painful. I did work out whether buying an annual pass was an option but the numbers didn't quite add up & that was before the adults at kids prices deal.

Our next Disney fix will be another big trip to Orlando next October but another day trip or 2 to DLP the year after is likely. We're thinking Holland, Switzerland & Disney on the way home for our summer 2020 holiday. I think we may have some company for that trip too ;-)

Happy Disney-ing everyone.

Edited at 08:16 PM.