Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 21 Aug 18, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Glad you found somewhere great. Enjoy your holiday.

BTW hope you don't mind us using your thread to discuss the issues.

Absolutely not - it's good to start a springboard for an important discussion 😀
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 02:38 AM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SloanRangers View Post
So glad to hear you’re having a good time! We’re having much the same dilemma you faced. We are flying into Miami and had planned to travel the Gulf Coast, staying in Naples and St Petes, but are really concerned with the current situation at the beaches. I know we still have a while yet (we fly into Miami on 3 November) but we’re trying to look up options for a plan B!
Was looking at other options last night and Jenson Beach and Hutchinson Shores was on my short list so very pleased to hear you’re enjoying your stay there
We’re monitoring the situation for now and fortunately we’d booked our hotels with Hotels.com and have free cancellations if necessary but really hoping we can still experience the Gulf Coast beaches...
I thoroughly recommend Hutchinson Resort & Spa, we were sad to leave this morning. We were very lucky to get such a great room upgrade - mainly because we arrived on a Sunday & everyone had gone home! I think it can get quite crazy on Saturday nights. We had the pool to ourselves this morning & we were also surrounded by little fish in the sea! Would love to go back again.
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

We're currently in Rotonda West and had a drive up to Manasota Beach and Englewood earlier. The coast is like a ghost town, so sad. We stopped at a coastal restaurant which had shut due to lack of customers. We had a walk on Manasota Beach, deserted also. The smell wasn't too bad but there was quite a lot of dead fish washed into the beach, some rotting. Very unpleasant and heartbreaking to see.
Old 21 Aug 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marciehatter View Post
Absolutely not - it's good to start a springboard for an important discussion 😀
Thanks
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

We have arrived!

Visited South Beach at Marco Island on way up. Lots of people on beach and in water. Clear water, lots of small fish & dolphins swimming not far out so looked good. Have tried to upload a photo, not sure if I did it right!

Now arrived in Cape Coral Villa, no algae on canals near here and it is gorgeous.

Also stepped onto beach at Naples briefly - water a bit yellow but few people on beach & swimming and no smell or dead fish.

My totally unscientific first impression is situation massively improved from a few weeks ago and feeling very relieved.

Will head out in boat in next couple of days to Captiva/Sanibel and see what we find. Haven’t looked at any beaches north of Naples yet.

Edited at 03:09 AM. Reason: Edit - worked out how to include pics!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
We have arrived!

Visited South Beach at Marco Island on way up. Lots of people on beach and in water. Clear water, lots of small fish & dolphins swimming not far out so looked good. Have tried to upload a photo, not sure if I did it right!

Now arrived in Cape Coral Villa, no algae on canals near here and it is gorgeous.

Also stepped onto beach at Naples briefly - water a bit yellow but few people on beach & swimming and no smell or dead fish.

My totally unscientific first impression is situation massively improved from a few weeks ago and feeling very relieved.

Will head out in boat in next couple of days to Captiva/Sanibel and see what we find. Haven’t looked at any beaches north of Naples yet.
Sounds very positive.

Have a great holiday.
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Yanto
Getting Excited

We have arrived!

Thanks Northtim that’s really encouraging we arrive on 02/09 was hoping for a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and you’ve just provided it.

Have been looking at the local beach reports daily and they do seem to be improving but nothing like a first hand account

Thanks - Ian

Edited at 09:55 PM.
Yanto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We have arrived!

Have a smashing holiday Tim, thank you for the updates
Old 22 Aug 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ll update some more when we explore beaches and area around Cape Coral. Not sure how to put pictures in posts from my phone but have added a few in an album which you should be able to see.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alexisemma31 View Post
We're currently in Rotonda West and had a drive up to Manasota Beach and Englewood earlier. The coast is like a ghost town, so sad. We stopped at a coastal restaurant which had shut due to lack of customers. We had a walk on Manasota Beach, deserted also. The smell wasn't too bad but there was quite a lot of dead fish washed into the beach, some rotting. Very unpleasant and heartbreaking to see.
That is sad news, we are also in Rotunda West and thought we might pop to have a look at the beach tomorrow, looks like it will be a quick visit then. It’s such a shame but at least we are staying in a fabulous villa with a super pool, so we will make the most of that.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List