Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 7 Jul 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

Universal/Islands of Adventure Cost!

So we are off to Orlando next summer for 2.5 weeks and have hotel and villa and disney tickets booked through Disney at a slightly eye watering price but never mind!

However...Universal and IoA is making my eyes water even more! I've never been and they do seem to have so many amazing attractions and i'm a big Harry Potter fan although my 10 year old daughter really isn't nor is my husband.

So i'm finding it hard to justify the cost of spending £500 for 2 days there - 2/3 days is the most we would spend there and that's a lot of money for a short period of time.

Is it really worth the money? Have any of you just gone for one day and focused on the attractions you really want to see? Or is it worth spending £750 on the 2 weeks pass and spending more time there?

For background it will be myself (love scary rides), husband (doesn't like fast or scary rides but will try everything once), 10 year old daughter (loves scary rides) and our 9 month old baby who will eventually enjoy scary rides but will be kinda restricted to the pushchair for now
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Me and my other half visited Florida in May and the universal parks were our absolute favourites! 100% worth the money and definitely worth the visit! We had four visits because we split our time between there and Disney, but next time we would do more. The Harry Potter areas in US and IOA are a must for any Harry Potter fan, they are absolutely incredible! The other areas are brilliant too, you definitely need at least one day at each though I would say if you're planning to do all the big attractions.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Eloise73 View Post
So we are off to Orlando next summer for 2.5 weeks and have hotel and villa and disney tickets booked through Disney at a slightly eye watering price but never mind!

However...Universal and IoA is making my eyes water even more! I've never been and they do seem to have so many amazing attractions and i'm a big Harry Potter fan although my 10 year old daughter really isn't nor is my husband.

So i'm finding it hard to justify the cost of spending £500 for 2 days there - 2/3 days is the most we would spend there and that's a lot of money for a short period of time.

Is it really worth the money? Have any of you just gone for one day and focused on the attractions you really want to see? Or is it worth spending £750 on the 2 weeks pass and spending more time there?

For background it will be myself (love scary rides), husband (doesn't like fast or scary rides but will try everything once), 10 year old daughter (loves scary rides) and our 9 month old baby who will eventually enjoy scary rides but will be kinda restricted to the pushchair for now
Universal no longer see themselves as either WDW's poor cousin or the 'other' parks in which to spend a couple of days when people want a break from WDW, but as a legitimate if slightly alternative option to the land of the mouse... hence their prices are not dissimilar to the costs for Disney.

To be fair if you just want to 'do' Disney for a couple of days that's also an expensive option.

We're going in October and opted to go for the 14 day ticket for both Disney and Universal. To me, 5 or so visits to Disney will be enough, so we'll hit Universal on at least 4 to 5 days.

I agree though... the tickets are eye watering prices whichever option you go for.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I couldn't go and not do universal.easily our favourite 2 parks x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Love Universal, and I think three days would be the ideal amount of time. I'd choose it hand down over the Disney parks myself. I think your 10 year old will love it too...
Jurassic park, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, MIB, simpsons - what's not to like? Love the water rides too.
One thing I must agree with you on though is the price. Like everything else on this holiday, it's eye watering...
Old 8 Jul 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Gerddon
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Two days is plenty to see and do all in the parks, if you can save a couple of hundred then it's all good. They are great parks and if you go all the way there without visiting them in think you might regret it.

If you are going for the two day tickets you can reduce the cost by just getting non hoppers and just doing one park per day. It means no hogwarts express but I personally don't think it's worth the extra money if you are happy not to park hop.
Gerddon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Atomic01
Excited about Disney

Atomic01's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We spend far more time in Universal than Disney... in fact we didn't even go to Disney last year, and we're not planning to this year!

If you are a massive Harry Potter fan it really is a must do, as it's an incredible experience - and for me more magical and fully immersive than Disney. The Hogwarts Express is also a must do for me - but as said above it does make it a little more expensive as you need a park hopper - but I personally think it's well worth it x

08/2013 - Vista Cay Apartments 08/2015 - Sandy Ridge Private Villa - Wedding trip!
08/2016 - Royal Pacific 08/2017 - Royal Pacific 08/2018 - Royal Pacific

11/2019 - Royal Caribbean/Royal Pacific

Edited at 08:50 AM.
Atomic01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
LaughingPlace
slightly serious Dibber

LaughingPlace's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

My only big bear with US / IOA is that a FOLP is an absolute necessity if you want to get it done in anything like 2 days.
LaughingPlace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We are here now and have made a complaint to Universal. Not worth the ticket price by a long way. Tacky and boring is an understatement.

We have been massively disappointed by the place.
Old 8 Jul 17, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We love universal and have been twice before but after looking at the ticket prices for 5 of us we decided to stick to Disney only. If we go again I would try to slot in universal . Tricky one if you haven't done it though as it's really good .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List