Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 26 Dec 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Would You Change?

Hi Dibbers!

I've made a few ADR's for myself and my son who will be 11 when we go, but looking back at my plans, I'm thinking that two restaurants are very similar. I've booked in at Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch one day and at Trail's End two days after as an evening meal.

I picked Whispering Canyon because of the novelty factor e.g. the tomato sauce and to try the skillet, and I picked Trail's End as I plan on going to Chip n Dale's Campfire Singalong afterwards.

So, do these places sell similar foods? Do you find one much better than the other? I figured I could cancel WC for something different and just do Trail's, or move WC to the evening and go to the campfire after that?

Also, the one I cancel, I'd need to replace and I'm thinking either Teppan or Cali Grill. Cali Grill would be easier as I have MK scheduled that day, but Teppan would be more fun for my son, or do you have other TS recommendations that an 11 year old would find interesting, or where the food is different/good value?

Places that I've already booked for TS meals are:-
BOG, Tusker House, Beaches & Cream, Chef Smith's, Sanaa, 50's Prime Time, Whispering Canyon, Trail's End, House of Blues and Liberty Tree Tavern.

TIA for any help x
Faythy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Why not ask him what he'd prefer, he may surprise you with what he thinks makes an interesting place to eat at that age.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Why not ask him what he'd prefer, he may surprise you with what he thinks makes an interesting place to eat at that age.
I kind of want things to be a surprise for him. I'm not sure about the interiors and how they'd appeal. I guess I'd like suggestions/opinions on favourites for both food and themes combined, for TS restaurants that I haven't booked and that are a little bit different.

For instance, I've heard of Coral Reef, but is it worth eating there just for the theme, and Teppan has good reviews, as the food and service is good, but I'm not sure whether it's more geared towards older people.
Faythy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Faythy View Post
I kind of want things to be a surprise for him. I'm not sure about the interiors and how they'd appeal. I guess I'd like suggestions/opinions on favourites for both food and themes combined, for TS restaurants that I haven't booked and that are a little bit different.

For instance, I've heard of Coral Reef, but is it worth eating there just for the theme, and Teppan has good reviews, as the food and service is good, but I'm not sure whether it's more geared towards older people.
I think California Grill would be more apppealing to the older person than Teppan Edo. It is quite sophisticated place. We are a couple in mid to late 40s and we loved it. On the other hand, I dont think that Teppan Edo would be our kind of place, we love Japanese food but the menu seems a little unadventurous and we dont want to go for the experience / chef interaction, we just want to eat in peace. It does seem like it is a hit with fanilies though as far as I can tell.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

been to both with a 6 year old and 3 year old. Teppan edo was ok and we have been a few times previously. Didn't think it was as good this time. Absolutely loved cali grill and the 6 year old loved watching the fireworks from the top - can't comment on 3 year old as he slept the whole way through it! Cali grill would be my choice.
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We did both in quite a short time period. They are pretty similar and I'd say Trails End was better. Whispering Canyon was good but I think the theming is more for younger kids (the ketchup thing and charging around on wooden horses). It's fun though.

We loved Teppan Edo. Would choose there over WC every time.

You've got a lot of similar ones to us. We didn't do Beaches & Cream in the end. I was advised that as the main meals are quite cheap it is better to pay OOP and use the TS credit somewhere else.
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Thanks for the suggestions and advice folks!

Could have been worth mentioning that I'll be paying OOP and that ds doesn't eat a great deal, but he does eat a varied amount. Just realised though that he isn't a big fan of fish so perhaps the menu at Teppan might be limited for him.

I think I might try and change WC lunch to Cali Grill in the evening and catch the fireworks. What time does it need to be booked for us to be able to watch them?

Edited at 11:48 AM.
Old 28 Dec 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Tappen edo is steak or chicken (or fish). Veg. And rice. It’s as plain or adventurous as you’d like. My kids loved it.

California grill is very expensive. We enjoyed our meal on the dining plan but I wouldn’t have been happy to pay for it. The view is good though.
We love the chip and dale bbq. You can make s’mores there so I wouldn’t have dessert beforehand.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Faythy
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Now you've changed my mind again lol. Really going to have to think things through before I start cancelling lol.

Will have to check logistics of things too I feel.