Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 28 Dec 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Are ADRs really necessary for 2 diners in July?

We are headed for WDW for our first ever trip without the kids - and without Free DDP, the value offered by our rate at the Dolphin surpassed even Free DDP.

Now we’ve been 3 times before with kids on Free DDP and I’ve slavishly made all my ADRs and been glad I did. But without credits to spend we’d prefer to be more relaxed in our approach to restaurants.

We know we want to try BlueZoo and Shulas, 2 options we’ve always had to miss in the past because they’re not on DDP at all and assume we wouldn’t have to reserve them in advance.

We want to do Cali grill at firework time and know we’ll need to ADR that and are aware that Coral Reef is a tough walk up for 2 as its water-tank-view construction lacks small tables, so we’ll need to ADR that too.

But are there any Couples out there with experience of just walking up in July to places like Yak & Yeti in AK, Liberty Tree in MK, Teppan Edo in Epcot or House of Blues at DS when they feel like it and getting a table without an hour or so wait?

Or any hints like “ADR anything in July weekends even the Dolphin restaurants that aren’t on DDP”. I don’t want to have to plan this like we did with the kids but will do if I need to. Hence this thread as I’m now on the run-up to my 180 days...
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I haven’t been in July so can’t comment on that but if you join the Landry Select Club you can walk up to Yak & Yeti as a member. It’s $25 to join but you get that credited back as a welcome reward and then another $25 during your birthday month.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

The way I look at it at any time of year is if there is somewhere you particularly want to dine then why not ADR it? If you have a celebration or just want a special evening - ADR it. It doesn't cost anything and if you do decide to cancel, as long as it is 24 hours in advance you won't be charged for a "no show". You can try for walk-ups but you may have to try several places at busy periods before you find an opening. There's no hard and fast rules.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

We managed to get on the day adrs for House of Blues, Tepan Edo, and the Boat House, just for 2 people. That said if we really wanted to eat there I would book in advance.

We had a few unplanned days and decided in the morning where we would be, I think check for availability for dinner, knowing we would get in somewhere in Epcot and Disney Springs and if all else failed we could go to a quick service at these locations.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You will easily get ADRs on the day at many places but I’d never recommend walking up. It doesn’t seem to matter the size of the party once they stop taking walk ups they will refuse all size parties.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We did an ADR for Shulas last August and I tried to modify it a couple of months before we went and there was nothing available for the whole 17 days! If you are going mid/late July then all kids everywhere are off so it can get busy so if it was us I would book a select few that we really wanted and then chance the rest. We did get many on the day while there but not our "must dos" as we would have been gutted if we couldn't get in.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We go in July and certainly at Teppan Edo I've always heard people asking for walk up and being to be told they are full.
We often do a late lunch at grand Floridian cafe and they always seem quite quiet and that time but most in park places always seem pretty full.
I second the idea about the Landry card for yak and yeti.
Old 28 Dec 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

If you don't mind where you eat and are happy to book on the day wherever is available, I think it's fine not to make them. But I would still make an ADR, even if it's as you're heading out for dinner. As people have already said, they will sometimes refuse walk-ups no matter what size. And in some respects, a party of two is harder since there are more larger tables IME as they cater for families/groups.

Anywhere specific you want to eat - book, there's really no harm as you can cancel it.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve not been in July before but have been with just my DD twice. We’d have struggled without ADRs. That said the trip we didn’t have a dining plan I booked 10 and cancelled 4. I was not able to swap those 4 though we just did CS or snacks instead. Personally I wouldn’t risk it. But I’m a coward!
Old 29 Dec 17, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post

We travelled as a couple although not in July. I made all my ADRs but I did chop and change them so made quite a few last minute ADR bookings (I wouldn’t try walk-in).

I see no real downside to booking ADRs in advance, but I am also sure we would have found last minute ADRs we would have been happy with. So perhaps pre-book your must dos and keep the rest flexible.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List