Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jan 14, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post

car hire upgrade - what would you do?

Hi

we have booked an intermediate car as part of a package using Alamo. I really cannot see this being big enough (2 ad, 3 kids, 3 cases) and so we are planning to upgrade ideally to intermediate SUV, but full size car would be fine. What is the cheapest way to do this? I am guessing we have 3 options

1. Via travel agent. Had a quote of £ 100 per week to upgrade to intermediate SUV which seems high

2. Upgrade at the desk. Does anyone have a guide price of what they would charge?

3. Go to garage to check out the intermediat cars first in case they are big enough, then ask for an upgrade at the garage. Is this even an option?

any advice would be much appreciated as this is stressing me out now in case I leave it and they want a fortune to upgrade at the desk
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Usually its dearer at the desk.

We had an Int' SUV last time for 2a and 2c (aged then 6 and 9) and it was just the right size. Another child would have fit comfortably in the back but i would have hated to have a smaller car even with just the 2 kids.

As daft as it sounds everything is just so big on the roads there that i still felt small in an SUV!
Old 1 Jan 14, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

It all depends on how you have booked the car. I understand that its through alamo, but is it seperate from your booking and arranged through your travel agent or is it attached to your booking and part of your package holiday? Have you prepaid the insurance? Or is that something that you need to pay when you arrive?
Old 1 Jan 14, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Would never upgrade at the desk as you are at their mercy and it always works out more expensive than arranging it from the UK. If you wait until you get to the garage and check out the cars you might find one large enough but if you decide there is nothing suitable then they might well send you back to the desk to upgrade the car in which case you will not have achieved anything but might have wasted a lot of time.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post

It has been booked through the travel agent as part of a package. I have been offered a 7 seater mini bus for 65 per week, so may go for that instead
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post

If you dont mind me asking, how much has the travel agent charged for the car hire booking?
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Im not sure as it is not separated out in the costs. We have just paid price per person.
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Give them a call tomorrow and ask them how much the car hire is. it would probably be cheaper to sort out yourself. Try alamo brits or travelsupermarket. If you are unsure, let me know the details and i will check it out for you
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Noddy22
VIP Dibber

May be a gamble with Alamo but last time there was nothing suitable in the garage the lady told us to just take one in the next row which was the next class up. They seemed very friendly and helpful. That was Orlando international btw.
Noddy22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I have already paid the balance, would I still be able to do that?
Closed Thread