Old 17 Feb 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Four Moretons Go West EASTER 2018 - Day 1 Six Flags Magic Mountain

Day 1 – Sunday 25th March 2018 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Well, our good night’s sleep after a long travel day didn’t quite go as planned. The fact we were on the ground floor staying in one of the noisiest cities in the world did not help. You could everything the traffic, doors slamming and people shouting

Lee especially struggled with the time difference and was wide awake at 2am! He tried his best to be quiet but I can tell you he didn’t succeed. Jacob and I managed to get to 3am and Lucas got to 4.30am. We all had showers, which made us feel a lot better.

Another reason for staying at the Travelodge was the fact they had a Dennys on site so we didn’t have to go far for breakfast. It was open 24 hours as well which was great as we were in there at 5.30am. We made a quick WhatsApp call to home to let Lee’s Mum and Dad know we had arrived safe. We had eaten at Dennys before but never for breakfast. Even though it was before 6am it was still fairly busy. I won’t bore you with what we had but the bill came to just over $50 including tip.

I booked an uber for 7.45am to take us to the car hire place which was about 2 miles away. The uber was late and I tried to track it on the app but all I could see was a car driving around in circles! He arrived in the end and said he couldn’t find the entrance. The journey costs $7 and Lee was very generous and gave him a $5 tip even though he was late and never said a word the whole journey.

There was nobody in the queue at the desk for Europcar, so we were soon sorted. We paid an extra $7.50 per day for roadside assistance. There was no hard sell, but I was conscious of the fact we were planning to drive over 1500 miles and Lee and I know next to nothing about fixing cars. We were given a Kia Sportage. It was not like Orlando airport where you choose your car.

I drove back to the hotel and found a space as near as I could to our room. We put the cases in the car and we were on our way to six flags which was just over 30 miles away.

The weather was lovely, there was a chilly wind but we were all in our shorts. The journey took 40 minutes. We paid our $25 to park and walked to the park, Collected our tickets from the Willcall window and we were away.

First impressions were a lot of roller coasters on concrete. We had all been looking forward to visiting a Six Flags and were determined to make the most of it.

Boys had a picture with Tweety Pie and Taz before walking over to Full throttle. We had done a little bit of research on the park but not much, so we didn’t really have much of a clue which way to go around the park.

Full Throttle was to be Jacob’s first upside down roller coaster, he joined the queue with Lee and although he was a little nervous, he did it 😊. They ended up on the front row as well. He was over joyed with himself for riding his first upside down coaster and what a coaster to pick! This went under the loop and then came back to go over the top of the loop! Impressive.

Lucas and I waiting and watched. Although I love coasters, Lucas wasn’t keen so one of us was always going to have to stay with him.

Next up we moved onto the kid’s area so Lucas could go on some rides. The area was empty so Lucas managed to go on quite a few rides. The area for the kids was better than I was expecting there to be.

After Lucas had done enough, Jacob and I went on Goliath. It was a 20-minute queue and so worth it. Jacob wanted to go again with Lee but we decided to move on to be fair to Lucas.

We walked over to Twisted Colossus but the wait time was 45 minutes so we decided to wait and see if went down later in the day. Lee went on Scream on his own, it was a walk on although he did manage to walk up the exit path before finding the correct way to the loading bay!

Next up was Batman and I wasn’t keen so Jacob and Lee went on. Jacob had caught the rollercoaster bug, he loved Batman.

Lucas was getting bored of waiting around so we found, Battle for Metropolis which we could all go on. It was really good, it was a cross between Spiderman and Men in Black at Universal, Orlando. It was a 3d shooting ride and of course, Lee got the highest score.

When we came off, we met Joker and Catwoman, there was no queue and the interaction with the boys was superb they spent time asking them questions, pulling at their clothes and making them laugh. Big thumbs up!

We were flagging a little so went in search of an Ice Cream; Lee was convinced there was a Coldstone Creamery but after dragging us half way round the park we realised there wasn’t! The atmosphere in the park was really good it wasn’t packed but quite busy. We had read the theming was really poor but we thought it was fine. Obviously if you compare it to Disney or Universal then it doesn’t get close but I don’t think Six Flags are trying to compete with them. We loved the fact there was 13 rollercoasters in 1 park (there are even more now). Jet lag was starting to get on top of us now and looking back visiting a theme park on our first day was not our best decision but was the only day we could have fit this in. We managed to make it until 3.30pm before calling it a day. The boys went on the carrousel before we left. Overall, we all liked six flags and we will definitely be back when we are next in California.

We had 1 hour 20-minute drive to Bakersfield where we staying, although the scenery was nice it was a fairly boring drive. We arrived at Marriott, Bakersfield just before 5.30pm. The room was really nice, it was more of a business hotel but we were only staying for 1 night.

The hotel had some connection to the local ice hockey team, and Jacob being a big fan of the sport wanted a picture in front of the team window

We were really tired so decided to grab a quick McDonalds for dinner. It was a very strange experience, there were a couple of very weird people in there. One had a police scanner and was listening to it on full blast, the staff seem to know him as they didn’t ask him to turn it down. Once back at the hotel we showered and were all asleep by 8pm. Hopefully we can shake off the jet lag as soon as possible.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I love a Denny's breakfast!
My kids would of loved to have gone to Six Flags. I would have been chief bag holder though
I can't believe it only took you 1 hour 20 to get to Bakersfield. It took us over 6 hours!
What a fab first day, I hope you kick the jetlag

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great day Kerry, you must have been shattered! X
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List