Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Dec 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
D1sn3yf4n
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Flights via dublin

Hello
I booked to stay in the Caribbean beach resort for 12-26 sept 2020 when Disney had the free Disney dining on offer. I’m now looking at flights and have seen flights via Dublin for £1400 for 2 adults and a child which I think is a good price. Someone said we would clear customs in Dublin so what would happen at MCO?
D1sn3yf4n is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

at MCO you in effect drive as a domestic passenger. Collect your luggage and go.
Dublin pre-clearance is great.

BUT make sure you have a decent connection. I would advise going the night before. There are few flights from Dublin and missing a connection can be very painful.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

You might find it cheaper again, if you start in Dublin, as per above advice,book a flight into Dublin the night before
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

I did an indirect started from dublin to charlotte and then charlotte to mco. Fantastic... we got to dublin and did all the custom stuff at dublin. Rather than at mco. When you arrive at mco you get your luggage and go. Just like if you were comin back from the airport after your holiday.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

How long connection time would you need if flying from Gatwick up to Dublin?
Old 31 Dec 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
we flew indirect from edinburgh to Boston via dublin 2 years ago for new year. had 2 hour connection and found it plenty time, the pre-clearance can get busy tho but still enough time with time to spare to get a coffee etc prior to boarding
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
There are two different scenarios here:

1. A through ticket starting in the UK (LGW/EDI/BHX etc) with a connection in Dublin. With this a couple of hours is fine, assuming the first flight is on time. If it’s not, your connection is protected and the airline will rebook you.

As mentioned above by tspill, it’s true there are fewer alternative routings from DUB than from, say, LHR, but it’s in the airline’s interest to get you to destination as soon as possible. Overnight delays are possible, but generally in the case of missed flights the airline will try to reroute you the same day, albeit probably with additional connections. The EI flight to MCO is a bit of a challenge, because it’s relatively late in the day, allowing fewer rebooking options. If this worries you (and it’s all about personal risk tolerance), you could take a longer connection as suggested.

2. Booking a flight which starts in Dublin (as mentioned above by Warkman58 and lilo82), with the connection from the UK origin point on a separate ticket (possibly a different airline). This can save money (especially in business class), but carries a lot more risk, since delay or cancellation on the first flight, causing you to miss the flight out of Dublin, means you lose the whole ticket.

Therefore, with scenario 2, it’s advisable to leave much more time between flights, ideally an overnight if the departure from Dublin is relatively early in the day. My personal rule for getting to the starting point of such flights if I have checked bags or an early start, is to take a flight early enough that I have at least two other options (obviously at extra cost) to get to the start point (eg Dublin) in time for the main flight. This may or may not involve an overnight stay. I would say generally that the savings available from starting the itinerary somewhere like Dublin with unprotected connections, aren’t often worth the hassle and risk, if flying economy. In higher cabins it can be a different story.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
There are two different scenarios here:

1. A through ticket starting in the UK (LGW/EDI/BHX etc) with a connection in Dublin. With this a couple of hours is fine, assuming the first flight is on time. If it’s not, your connection is protected and the airline will rebook you.

As mentioned above by tspill, it’s true there are fewer alternative routings from DUB than from, say, LHR, but it’s in the airline’s interest to get you to destination as soon as possible. Overnight delays are possible, but generally in the case of missed flights the airline will try to reroute you the same day, albeit probably with additional connections. The EI flight to MCO is a bit of a challenge, because it’s relatively late in the day, allowing fewer rebooking options. If this worries you (and it’s all about personal risk tolerance), you could take a longer connection as suggested.

2. Booking a flight which starts in Dublin (as mentioned above by Warkman58 and lilo82), with the connection from the UK origin point on a separate ticket (possibly a different airline). This can save money (especially in business class), but carries a lot more risk, since delay or cancellation on the first flight, causing you to miss the flight out of Dublin, means you lose the whole ticket.

Therefore, with scenario 2, it’s advisable to leave much more time between flights, ideally an overnight if the departure from Dublin is relatively early in the day. My personal rule for getting to the starting point of such flights if I have checked bags or an early start, is to take a flight early enough that I have at least two other options (obviously at extra cost) to get to the start point (eg Dublin) in time for the main flight. This may or may not involve an overnight stay. I would say generally that the savings available from starting the itinerary somewhere like Dublin with unprotected connections, aren’t often worth the hassle and risk, if flying economy. In higher cabins it can be a different story.
Wow! Thank you, great response. That’s really explained it well. Option 1 would be preferable if we do that. Still toying with lots of options. Trying to convince hubby to indirect

Edited at 05:51 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Yes, we fly in tge night before and stay at tge Premier Inn at Swords.

Last time we went from LHR -DUB-MCO

I built in a Ling lead time between arriving in DUB and flying out. Just as well, due to ground radar problems at DUB, we sat onnLHr apron for three hours,didn’t get much time in the lounge.

On separate tix, we always fly in the night before.

Another tip is on the way back, if it’s MC0-LGW Then LHR-DUB, we collect cases at Gatwick and catch the train vack home instead of flying back to Dublin then back to BHX
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerfan144
Imagineer

tiggerfan144's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've not done Aer Lingus to Orlando but i have to chicago went from leeds bradford to dublin then onto chicago with an hour and half connection time in Dublin immigration for me went quite quickly. had time to use the restroom and grab a bottle of water for the flight and they were then boarding. i did look into just booking the flight from Dublin and then the earlier flight separate but would have cost more as luggage allowance on the 1st flight was lower than the flight to chicago so worth checking that. can't remember if i picked up luggage in Dublin on way there but didn't on way back so that was helpful

Howard Johnson Maingate west (1995), Villa (1997), Gateway Inn (1999), Sheraton World (2000), Rodeway Inn (2002), Springhill Suites (2004), Caribbean Beach/Crowne Plaza (2006) AKL/HRH/Rodeway inn (2009)

And Becky makes four
tiggerfan144 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List