Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cherryred72
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks
cherryred72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
You choose your car from the row at Mia with Alamo
Chmurf, just wondering if you have experience of Alamo MCO and Miami? If so would you say Miami is the same size as MCO or bigger/smaller. Is it the same set up?

We are collecting from Miami for the 1st time this year. Every other time has been from MCO.
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My experience is Mia is much bigger with a bigger choice of car
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
Chmurf, just wondering if you have experience of Alamo MCO and Miami? If so would you say Miami is the same size as MCO or bigger/smaller. Is it the same set up?

We are collecting from Miami for the 1st time this year. Every other time has been from MCO.
I have experience of both

first of all, it's not the same set up

at MCO, you collect your bags (second drop) or go down to that level, cross the road, and you're in the garage

at MIA it's a bit different, you need to follow the signs to the car center, as it "offsite", it's clearly signposted. Then you'll arrive to some kind of monorail (let's call it this) that will take you from the main terminal to the car rental facility

there will be the desks for all car rental agencies in a lage rotunda as soon as you exit the "monorail"
if you've done olci (and have a barcode) or Skip the Counter, then you can go all the way down the hall, then take the elevator down to the ground floor where alamo garage is at.

The garage at MIA looks bigger, because it's all in one place. At MCO there are 2 garages (A and B) so it may actually be a tad bigger at MCO, although you have to choose a side (and each side garage will be smaller, obviously)

the choice of cars may be nicer at MIA, as it's all in one place.
At MCO if a nice car turns up, there is a 50% chance it's in the other garage ... the one you're not at, lol. At MIA it's all in one place, so it will show up where you're at. But that also means there will be more people taking cars at the same time

so at the end of the day, it's about the same ...

If you return in MIA I would advise taking the fuel service (return empty) if you don't already have it (gold package for example)
the petrol station at the entrance to the car rental facility is on the other side of a busy road, and it's a nightmare U-turning and getting back on the facilty entry slip-road ...
you sure can refuel there, but that's not something I would want to do when returning the car, not for the sake of a tenner I'd leave in the tank ...
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cherryred72
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you. Super helpful.

Your advice has generated another question! I've completed 'Skip The Counter' & have the Alamo bar code so we'll go straight to garage. I haven't taken the fuel option. Can I add that at the garage?
cherryred72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you can add it at the gate (just don't forget to) or you could go back to your skip the counter page, you'll have the option to modify online check in (small link at the top of one section after you choose "print later"), and add it there before completing the process again
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cherryred72
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you. Very clear!
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I have experience of both

first of all, it's not the same set up

at MCO, you collect your bags (second drop) or go down to that level, cross the road, and you're in the garage

at MIA it's a bit different, you need to follow the signs to the car center, as it "offsite", it's clearly signposted. Then you'll arrive to some kind of monorail (let's call it this) that will take you from the main terminal to the car rental facility

there will be the desks for all car rental agencies in a lage rotunda as soon as you exit the "monorail"
if you've done olci (and have a barcode) or Skip the Counter, then you can go all the way down the hall, then take the elevator down to the ground floor where alamo garage is at.

The garage at MIA looks bigger, because it's all in one place. At MCO there are 2 garages (A and B) so it may actually be a tad bigger at MCO, although you have to choose a side (and each side garage will be smaller, obviously)

the choice of cars may be nicer at MIA, as it's all in one place.
At MCO if a nice car turns up, there is a 50% chance it's in the other garage ... the one you're not at, lol. At MIA it's all in one place, so it will show up where you're at. But that also means there will be more people taking cars at the same time

so at the end of the day, it's about the same ...

If you return in MIA I would advise taking the fuel service (return empty) if you don't already have it (gold package for example)
the petrol station at the entrance to the car rental facility is on the other side of a busy road, and it's a nightmare U-turning and getting back on the facilty entry slip-road ...
you sure can refuel there, but that's not something I would want to do when returning the car, not for the sake of a tenner I'd leave in the tank ...
Thanks a million. That is excellent. We are actually coming off a cruise. Alamo do not have an office at the terminal so they provide a shuttle to bring us back to Alamo at Miami airport so no having to worry about finding the garage!