Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question would you let your 15 year old stay home for the weekend? (semi supervised)

we've just been away for the weekend and ds complained the whole time as he never wanted to go in the first place. He refused to do any of the activities on offer and just sat there looking miserable
he did apologise for being grumpy but it did put a bit of a downer on the time away.
I've booked to go away for another weekend later in the year and I'm wondering if I should let him stay home instead?
we'd only be about 1 hr away and his older brother would be able to stay overnight with him so he would have some supervision but he'd be home alone most of the day/evening as his brother would be at work. Other than being a whingy teen who's got a bit of an attitude at times and is more interested in gaming than anything family related he's no trouble and pretty responsible though if left to his own devices as long as he had food/drink & wifi I don't think he'd leave his room
He has asked about staying home so its something he would be happy to do
What would you do?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes I'd let him and did leave my 16 year olds totally on their own (including overnight)for last year, we had a wonderful time and so did they.
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

yep & his older brother staying over is a bonus
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
My oldest son, who is 24 comes and stays with my sons when we're away for a couple of days. My oldest works, other sons are 17 and 16 and they all look after each other, the dogs and our home very well.

It all depends on the individual and as you say your son is sensible and would prefer to be at home, I think it sounds like a good compromise.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
we've just been away for the weekend and ds complained the whole time as he never wanted to go in the first place. He refused to do any of the activities on offer and just sat there looking miserable
he did apologise for being grumpy but it did put a bit of a downer on the time away.
I've booked to go away for another weekend later in the year and I'm wondering if I should let him stay home instead?
we'd only be about 1 hr away and his older brother would be able to stay overnight with him so he would have some supervision but he'd be home alone most of the day/evening as his brother would be at work. Other than being a whingy teen who's got a bit of an attitude at times and is more interested in gaming than anything family related he's no trouble and pretty responsible though if left to his own devices as long as he had food/drink & wifi I don't think he'd leave his room
He has asked about staying home so its something he would be happy to do
What would you do?
Do you leave him during the day at other times?
Eg schooldays do you both work and he lets himself in/out ?
If so then yes
He sounds like my 16 year old
My only issue would be if he is ‘ trained’ to leave the house locked should he go out
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I was left with my brother at that age, for a week, my brother was working and home in the evening, we were fine. Leave him with dominoes money and a loaf of bread and they will be just fine! Though I would just tell him house is to be found as it is left and remind him to lock up if he pops out.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

So long as he can get in touch on his phone if needs be I don't see a problem if you know he is sensible.
Leave him home and enjoy the freedom
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It depends on your son and only you know that. We went away for a week and left son when he was 16. He was at work all day though. He is sensible and as long as he had food and WiFi he wouldn’t care. I wouldn’t leave daughter though !

An alternative would be could he take a friend away with you.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So long as his brother is there at night I would definitely leave him. We left our son overnight for a night on his own when he was 16. We were literally 20 mins away in case of an emergency
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I would definitely. I have sort of given up now on family weekends away. 17 and 13 year olds never want to come. I have left them alone overnight. And probably will do again.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List