Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile Work issues again!

As some of you will be aware I had an issue with work not offering me a progression opportunity in November last year. The same thing has happened again. A 12 month secondment post on the dementia ward became available and when I asked my ward manager about it yesterday he stated that expressions of interest had only been offered to the staff on that actual ward.
Now I know that this is probably above board and legal, however it’s not normal in our directorate, expressions of interest are usually offered to all three wards.
The person who is likely to be offered this secondment post has only worked in our trust since August so only has 6 months experience in Older Adult services, I have almost 4 years!
I’m so upset that this has happened again and I’m honestly not sure where to go from here. My ward manager keeps making comments about me not taking these things personally but it’s becoming difficult not to!
My friend keeps pushing me to apply for a band 6 with her, but it would be completely different role, increased hours and increased travelling which I’m not sure would be right for me.
I love my job and I love older adults but I’m getting frustrated at feeling like I’m being held back. I’m honestly not sure what to do, and I know there probably isn’t any more advice anyone can offer me than they already have I just needed to let it all out.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Can you sustain the grade 6 role ie: travelling etc

If you can go for it !

You never know unless you apply ,a lot of positions can be looked at as tailored to be flexible further down the line .

My role isn’t nursing but I put a huge amount of effort in the first 10 months and now have a contract which is good for me as my manager saw that I was determined.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Has it been advertised externally? If so I see no reason why you cant apply!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not unusual for secondment posts to be offered to existing ward staff. Maybe you are not pushing yourself ie applying for the band 6 roles despite the issues? Surely all higher roles will have increased pressures I remember jumping to band 7 and then 8 huge adjustments comes with the territory. Try for band 6 the interview experience alone is worth it good luck
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

If you're a nurse, I expect that you're in a Union. I would suggest contacting your rep for advice about whether the correct application process has been followed for this secondment. If it has, then it puts your mind at rest, and if it hasn't, it should be something that the Trust learns from.

I used to work in the private sector and internal vacancies for higher level/more senior roles wouldn't be offered for application usually. There was a development programme and once you were 'signed off' to a certain grade you could be offered anything suitable, and HR had a succession plan of about 3 people that could/would be asked to fill roles if they became vacant, and then the back fill for their role etc. You'd then start the development programme for the next grade up. I expect that all NHS Trusts, private and public sector organisations do things slightly differently with recruitment so that's why seeking advice from someone that knows the Trust policies is useful in your position.

The right job for you will come up for you eventually. Don't dwell on these set backs. Listen to your gut feeling and consider what it is that you'd love to do and work towards achieving that goal.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

ask HR what the policy is for secondments. sometimes there will be a policy for them.
It needs to be a clear and consistent process so if custom and practice has been to offer out to the 3 wards then this should continue.
They also need to ensure consistency with the requirements for a role - e.g. knowledge and skills etc
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, the job with my friend is a totally different role with a different department so absolutely nothing to do with my current role or directorate. She used to work as a band 6 with Older Adults so knows the procedures and staff very well and she feels I am deliberately being held back for some reason and that I need to leave Older Adults in order to progress. My ward manager has hinted that he is holding me back because I am such a good and experienced band 5 on his ward.
The issue I now have is the different role is more hours and travelling (I also don’t drive so this would put lots of pressure on my husband) but a fresh start and development and progression forward.
Or I stay where I am, closer to home with no travelling, in a job I love and I know I am good at, knowing I am unlikely to ever be given the opportunity to progress.
I know no one can give me the answer to this but my head is mashed at the moment. Luckily I’m not in until next Friday now so I have some time and space to think things over.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

What about having a quiet word with your manager...ask him if he will give you a reference as you feel you are going nowhere at the moment so are actively looking elsewhere? Might be enough to jolt him into realising that holding you back isn’t gaining home anything...
If that doesn’t work I would be looking at different jobs... if you stay where you are you’re only getting more and more frustrated and that’s not good...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Maybe there is a feeling that you aren’t ambitious if it’s known you don’t want extra hours or two travelling ... or maybe your face just doesn’t fit. Unfair or not sometimes that just happens and someone absolutely capable keeps getting overlooked. Is there more you could do to increase your ability to stay in the same speciality but move sideways and increase your prospects, extra courses for example ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sorry no advice, just sympathy for you as also working in NHS see this all the time. X it really stinks when others not given a chance. X