Old 24 Jul 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
DLP is making a comeback. We (well me) has a look at prices for October but it’s not cheap at all. It would be nice to have a trip back there though. DH is a bit like Dave in that he’s enjoying the time at home and having extra money not used up on holidays, everything I suggest for this year is met with a ‘it’s too soon’ response. We’ve only got just under 3 weeks of school holidays left so it’s unlikely we will do anything before going back.
I hope your last couple of school days go well, it’s nice you have your trip to look forward to, I think a change of scenery will be lovely.
I think we are in the same boat. I had a look at the BA sale the last couple of days and was tempted by a trip to Rome. I even went as far as re-reading your food report from a couple of years ago. In the end I didn't book anything as I realised I just don't want to get on a plane right now. I'm still looking at DLP, but we can drive and get a ferry or tunnel so that at the moment is more appealing. However, the kids don't enjoy wearing a mask and I don't know if I've got it in me to force them to have to wear a mask all day long.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh Abby, I've been so excited since I read you were contemplating Paris but I haven't had the time to comment.

You do know I love to spend other people's money so I am here to cheerlead for onsite - you don't have to reserve the parks and I believe you can come and go as you please which is very appealing to me.

Like you, we were also very critical of DLP on our last trip but this time I am going to embrace it for what it is.

I had a chuckle about Dave's comment about paying off the mortgage early. I am sure if he thinks about it he would prefer to spend money on lovely family holidays you can all enjoy now rather than using your money now to pay off the mortgage early and then have all this excess cash a few years down the line when it's just the two of you.

P.S. He's getting Canada, so it's only fair you get some Disney.
Poor Dave, I feel like he comes off badly at times as of course I report my perspective and not his, I did try to put myself in his shoes. His epiphany over lock down has been that he likes pottering around in the garden or his workshop doing wood work of some sort, he has told me everything he's making it's just that I tend to nod and smile without really taking it in. He's content with being at home. My epiphany is literally the polar opposite.

I don't even know if Canada is really likely to happen. They seem to have a great hold on things over there, but their strategy appears to be to not let anyone in at all. So, I'm not sure if they will open the borders in time for our October trip.

I keep looking at the ferry and eurotunnel prices, the hotels, the park tickets, even the idea of annual passes . It's a great time waster at the moment.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Hmmm, while I agree with you about it being a wasted year, I can also see Dave's point about paying off the mortgage quicker. We're always doing a balancing act between paying more to cut our mortgage term and having enough left to have at least one big holiday and one smaller holiday each year. It's important to us, so I can empathise with him on that point - not on staying home and doing nothing though

I actually wasn't thinking that your DLP report was whingy - maybe I haven't got to that bit yet I've said in my replies over there that it's bringing back memories for me, both good and bad. I always said I'd never go back but I'm definitely coming around to the idea.
I was so pleased you read the DLP report as it gave me a chance to actually re-read it. I had a lovely first day of the summer holiday yesterday thinking about the trip. I think at the time I was all caught up in how much better it would be with a few tweaks rather than accepting DLP for what it is. Some 18 months later I don't know whether it's just that time has passed or the fact that it's the only Disney park that's an option at the moment, but those rose tinted spectacles have lodged themselves well and truly and I'm now thinking it would be great to go there but maybe not Cafe Mickey for either of us

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Breakfast for Dinner

So, I've been waiting for the summer holidays to do some updates on here. I'm trying not to think about the fact that we should be all packed up by now and excited for tomorrow as it would have been our pre travel day. Now that we are off to Somerset tomorrow it's an actual travel day so that is good

Meanwhile I've got lots of food photos for you. We've been having breakfast for dinner on Wednesday for a few weeks now as it felt like a really nice mid-week treat.

So, here goes. First up we have the traditional full English fried breakfast.

Next up we went for homemade waffles and southern fried chicken, love these they are really tasty it was a great meal

Next I wanted to try and make breakfast potatoes like you get at all the QS breakfasts. These were pretty good, served with sausage links bacon and scrambled eggs. Now I like streaky bacon in the US but nothing could persuade me to buy streaky over here when we have the back bacon option.

I really wanted tater tots and these frozen potato ball thingy's were actually a good approximation, but I think I should have cooked them for longer as they look a bit anaemic. We had these with a sausagemeat and egg muffin sandwich.

The next meal was corned beef hash, which you can't see so well as it's hiding underneath a fried egg but I promise it is there.

Finally, what is missing that we've not had so far...pancakes. Well, we couldn't leave them out so we had lots of American pancakes along with a traditional IHOP plate of hash browns, egg, sausage links and bacon.

It was good

Anyone who was in any doubt as to whether I would fit into my summer shorts need not doubt it anymore

Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly as I did find a pair that have an elasticated waist (usually saved for the end of a WDW trip) and a playsuit that fits so I can take them to Somerset with me.

Fear not those who like the photos of cocktails and desserts! There have been some of them too

A martini - I wasn't sure at first but then I spotted the olives so definitely martini.

Next a Manhattan

When Mum and Dad came over for a BBQ I made Mojito's

and I blinged them up a bit

Finally Dark and Stormy

We've enjoyed our BBQs and messing about in the garden, there have been a few games.

Sweeter treats in the form of ice cream cookie sandwiches

And because we liked them so much, we had them again

Max made Millionaires Shortbread, this is sooooo good

And one time when we went shopping Kate spotted they were selling pretzels in Tesco.

These were not as good as a Mickey pretzel, but we don't know when we will get to have one of them again so we will have to make do with these for now.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing some of our dinners and treats. I'm looking forward to lots of tasty treats in Somerset and sharing them with all of you.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Morning Abby,

Yourself and Dave sound like Gary & I. He’s quite happy to stay at home & potter while I’m like you need to get away or be doing something! It’s really killing me not getting away on holiday this year but I just can’t bring myself to go if I have to wear a mask all the time as I hate them. I will wear one for a minimal time if I have to be I certainly to want to wear one for hours on end also the rest of the family aren’t fussed. Keira is just home from a few days away at her friends holiday home up at the North Coast of NI. She had an absolute ball so at least one of us has had a holiday I have three different holidays planned in my head for next year and where we end up going will depend on cases & borders opening up!

I love all your breakfasts for dinner. I must remember to do that sometime. Also love your cookie sandwiches what type of cookies do you use?

I hope you have a lovely time in Somerset and I’m looking forward to hearing what you get up to.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I must say all of your breakfast's for dinner look fab. This is a personal favourite tea of mine - we quite often have a full Scottish (so replace your tomato and mushroom with black pudding and beans), or just bacon, scrambled egg and toast. It's nice and easy after a long day at work. How did you make your breakfast potatoes... we've tried a few times but can never get them as nice as they are in America.

Good to see the dark & stormy making an appearance in the cocktail section - it's my new "go to" cocktail along with Moscow Mules as they're so easy to make.

Oh those ice cream cookies look fab. Are they shop bought cookies, or home made? I'm popping to Tesco tonight - I suspect cookies may just leap into my basket of their own accord

Have a lovely time in Somerset

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Love all the food pics! Has made me very hungry Breakfast can easily be my favourite meal - we are going out to brunch tomorrow - our first restaurant reservation since lockdown began Have a fab time in Somerset. I'm nervously watching the numbers in France at the moment and hoping DLP doesn't need to shut down! No idea about Christmas at the moment. Run Disney have made the Wine & Dine a virtual run so just watching, waiting and keeping fingers and toes crossed...

Edited at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Buggles94 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Morning Abby,

Yourself and Dave sound like Gary & I. He’s quite happy to stay at home & potter while I’m like you need to get away or be doing something! It’s really killing me not getting away on holiday this year but I just can’t bring myself to go if I have to wear a mask all the time as I hate them. I will wear one for a minimal time if I have to be I certainly to want to wear one for hours on end also the rest of the family aren’t fussed. Keira is just home from a few days away at her friends holiday home up at the North Coast of NI. She had an absolute ball so at least one of us has had a holiday I have three different holidays planned in my head for next year and where we end up going will depend on cases & borders opening up!

I love all your breakfasts for dinner. I must remember to do that sometime. Also love your cookie sandwiches what type of cookies do you use?

I hope you have a lovely time in Somerset and I’m looking forward to hearing what you get up to.
Yeah it's funny isn't it? The long stretch of the next 5 weeks of summer is bothering me already and I'm only on day 2 I've got itchy feet and I don't know what I'm going to do to fill the time. Perhaps I need to plan 3 holidays for next year too, like you that's a great idea!

The cookies are just the ones you get from the bakery at Tesco where they have 5 in a pack. I feel the chewy ones are better than the crunchy ones, well they seem more similar to the WDW ice cream cookie sandwich so more authentic.

I think you will have to wait until after the holiday to get updates. I've never been able to do live trip reports and I know there's no Wi-Fi at the caravan. I've not told the kids yet well, technically there is Wi-Fi but it's £10 per device and it's not a good speed so I think it will be more hassle than it's worth.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
I must say all of your breakfast's for dinner look fab. This is a personal favourite tea of mine - we quite often have a full Scottish (so replace your tomato and mushroom with black pudding and beans), or just bacon, scrambled egg and toast. It's nice and easy after a long day at work. How did you make your breakfast potatoes... we've tried a few times but can never get them as nice as they are in America.

Good to see the dark & stormy making an appearance in the cocktail section - it's my new "go to" cocktail along with Moscow Mules as they're so easy to make.

Oh those ice cream cookies look fab. Are they shop bought cookies, or home made? I'm popping to Tesco tonight - I suspect cookies may just leap into my basket of their own accord

Have a lovely time in Somerset
It's a pretty speedy meal to do and who doesn't love a good breakfast the breakfast potatoes were really yummy. Just boil your potatoes until nearly cooked, I did 7 mins but it depends on the size you cut them. Then heat up oil, butter, crushed garlic, thyme and rosemary, fry slices of onion, then add the cooked potatoes and paprika and salt and peppar. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes so the potatoes start to go crispy. These aren't as good as the American ones, but they were tasty.

You're right about the dark and stormy being speedy, I like making it as I don't have to bother with juicing lime or lemon.

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Love all the food pics! Has made me very hungry Breakfast can easily be my favourite meal - we are going out to brunch tomorrow - our first restaurant reservation since lockdown began Have a fab time in Somerset. I'm nervously watching the numbers in France at the moment and hoping DLP doesn't need to shut down! No idea about Christmas at the moment. Run Disney have made the Wine & Dine a virtual run so just watching, waiting and keeping fingers and toes crossed...
There is a local harvester type pub that we love as it has an all you can eat breakfast buffet for £4.69 each. And, I just found out today that they have restarted the buffet, but instead of self service the chef serves so it's basically the same as before but rather than dish your own bacon etc you go along the line saying I'll have 6 sausages and 4 rashers of bacon. The kids love it as they also do chips with the breakfast it's on my list to go back there when we get home from Somerset. I really hope you enjoy your brunch tomorrow.

I really hope you don't have problems with DLP it would be lovely to know that some of us got our Disney fix

Old 27 Jul 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Woke up to the sky crying as it also knows we should be flying to Florida this morning!
We would be landing at Heathrow now😭 British Airways have sent another few emails to explain what my flight will be like...
Our lego delivery arrives today so at least we have something Harry Potter to do!
Hope you are all having fun in Somerset, we are heading off on an expedition to the Orkneys!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Woke up to the sky crying as it also knows we should be flying to Florida this morning!
We would be landing at Heathrow now😭 British Airways have sent another few emails to explain what my flight will be like...
Our lego delivery arrives today so at least we have something Harry Potter to do!
Hope you are all having fun in Somerset, we are heading off on an expedition to the Orkneys!
Gosh the thought of your travel day being here makes me feel ill. Isn't strange that we can't even live vicariously through each other!?

Enjoy the Orkneys!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 05:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Well Abby, I’ve followed your pre-trip thread and up until a few weeks ago was hoping you’d be able to go. We originally had flights booked for March, (MAN-MCO) which we kept moving on and changed to LHR-MCO until we finally changed them for LHR-MIA for the 20 Aug as Virgin cancelled Manchester flights... then cancelled flights into MCO. We were therefore hoping against hope we might still be able to get across. With a very heavy heart and a dose of reality, I’ve just moved them on. We were going to AMI so were thinking that if we could just get there, we could stay in a little bubble. 🙁

Edited at 07:21 AM.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Well, I'm finally back. No internet connection at all at the caravan. Actually being out of touch was lovely. No more checking news or updates of cases and deaths.

I did have a few miserable days, driving there on what should have been pre travel day then the non flight day it was raining for us too very sad .

Somerset was lovely though, lots of walking... in hills, in valleys, on cliffs and the beach. Also, a few glasses of cider and a cream tea! I hope you enjoy Orkney. Try not to keep thinking about what you would have been doing, although that's a definite do what I say and not what I do

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Gosh the thought of your travel day being here makes me feel ill. Isn't strange that we can't even live vicariously through each other!?

Enjoy the Orkneys!
Travel day was rough, then the next day which was supposed to be AK, then the next day which would have been our first look at Star Wars GE... I've finally got to the point now when I can't remember what the daily plan was supposed to be which is better. The first few days were worst as I knew exactly where we were supposed to be.

Originally Posted by Mqt View Post
Well Abby, I’ve followed your pre-trip thread and up until a few weeks ago was hoping you’d be able to go. We originally had flights booked for March, (MAN-MCO) which we kept moving on and changed to LHR-MCO until we finally changed them for LHR-MIA for the 20 Aug as Virgin cancelled Manchester flights... then cancelled flights into MCO. We were therefore hoping against hope we might still be able to get across. With a very heavy heart and a dose of reality, I’ve just moved them on. We were going to AMI so were thinking that if we could just get there, we could stay in a little bubble. 🙁
Anna Maria Island would have been lovely, not that I have been there but I know a few dibbers who love it. It must have been tough for you to keep moving your trip back a bit and then a bit more. For what it's worth, and not that you need my validation or approval, I think you've done the right thing. The hopefulness of maybe being able to 'keep the dream alive' is great, but it does seem that Florida is pretty bad at the moment. Perhaps AMI would have been a haven, but you still would have had to get there.