Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a landline.
No - never had one 15 3.77%
No - chose to give it up 56 14.07%
Yes - hardly ever used 263 66.08%
Yes - use it a fair bit 39 9.80%
Yes - use it all the time 25 6.28%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I am guessing that you are not at an age of needing to build a credit score and have plenty of other utility and council bills that will more than suffice.

If your Sky broadband is still a fibre to cabinet and not full fibre to house you will still need a landline I believe.
Thank you. Re the first point. Possibly. I am certainly of an age 😂

Re the fibre to cabinet v fibre to house haven't a scooby - will have to check with sky I presume. Will do so tomorrow.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hiya FamG, we have TalkTalk for landline/faster internet, includes all UK landline/mobi calls, oft used daily, for £29 a month. Set up TT free Call Guardian, callers not on our 'accepted callers' list hear a 'say your name' message, whilst we very rarely received a cold call we now receive none.

Living in a small village 1k+ feet above sea level isn't mobile signal conducive, incl my PAYG Vodafone. My mobi is very convenient for Whatsapp/Facetime, plus Hangouts is great for charge free US calls whether in the UK or Fl.
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all that's fairly conclusive.

Should have asked

A) Yes I've got one don't use it but have considered my options and chose to keep it, or

b). I have one but rarely use it. I have it because I've always had it and not really given it a thought.

I am B. Want to move to the active consideration of A.
Old 5 Aug 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thanks all that's fairly conclusive.

Should have asked

A) Yes I've got one don't use it but have considered my options and chose to keep it, or

b). I have one but rarely use it. I have it because I've always had it and not really given it a thought.

I am B. Want to move to the active consideration of A.
My sister doesn't have a landline FamG, she uses Three and recently upgraded to their unlimited wifi router (unlimited = an allowance of 1000gb a month, I think that's what she said). Personally, I don't see £25 a month as a good price, only as we make all calls/internet from home for £29 a month.
Old 6 Aug 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Most people in the country get their internet via a telephone line. It comes in to your home via Openreach’s network. These are usually copper telephone lines. These invariably connect to your router which sends the signal usually flying through the air to where your sitting on the loo or in you bed or wherever. You do not need to have a telephone connected but you do need the line if this is how you access the internet.

If you have virgin full fibre connection you do not need a landline. I think I may be right saying they are the only Internet Service Provider currently offering this service as the rest like TallkTalk or Sky just hire lines from Openreach even if the say they use fibre it is only partial fibre and not the type used by Virgin.

Other ways to connect without a landline include using 4G mobile broadband. This can be pretty pants when trying to download music or videos but is normally fine for browsing and shopping on the internet. This is set to change with the introduction of 5G, this has the potential of having faster connection than many top speed broadband providers do now. Edit: Just to add this would be how companies like three would give you internet connection through their mobile broadband network.

Edited at 10:51 PM.
levtweeney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Most people in the country get their internet via a telephone line. It comes in to your home via Openreach’s network. These are usually copper telephone lines. These invariably connect to your router which sends the signal usually flying through the air to where your sitting on the loo or in you bed or wherever. You do not need to have a telephone connected but you do need the line if this is how you access the internet.

If you have virgin full fibre connection you do not need a landline. I think I may be right saying they are the only Internet Service Provider currently offering this service as the rest like TallkTalk or Sky just hire lines from Openreach even if the say they use fibre it is only partial fibre and not the type used by Virgin.

Other ways to connect without a landline include using 4G mobile broadband. This can be pretty pants when trying to download music or videos but is normally fine for browsing and shopping on the internet. This is set to change with the introduction of 5G, this has the potential of having faster connection than many top speed broadband providers do now.
Really helpful and clear explanation.
Thank you.
Old 6 Aug 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Edit: Just to add this would be how companies like three would give you internet connection through their mobile broadband network.
Aye Lev, Three's 4G router is how sister receives wifi, it's currently in mother's house, offers an excellent signal. Had a minor problem connecting ma's Android Samsung Galaxy, which happens, password correct, router/signal saved, but it wouldn't connect. After trying a few times I opted for connecting via phone/router WPS, that got the begger
Old 7 Aug 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

As far as I know with the exception of some fibre providers a landline is required for a broadband connection
Old 7 Aug 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m moving to Fibre next week and they’ve assured me I don’t need a BT landline any more - I’d love to know if that is true!
Who is “they”?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I use my landline to dial into my work phone system , otherwise it’d probably be unplugged.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List