Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jul 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Pluto2000
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile Berlin Help

Hi Guys

Since its looking like no USA holiday we are thinking of Berlin. We are interested in all aspects of the 2 wars, so would be great to hear your hints and tips. In particular re places to visit, best location to stay and also any geat breakfast places or and dont forget ribs for the hubster lol

Thank you
Pluto2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

Absolutely love Berlin. We always stay in the Ku'damm area. Lots of shops, bars, restaurants and excellent transport options with Ubahn (underground), SBahn (train), buses and the Hop on Hop off sightseeing buses. In terms of things to see related to WWII.

Sachsenhausen - Concentration camp located in Oranienburg. We did a guided tour via Expedia and it was really moving. You can just visit but having the guide explaining is well worth the extra. You need to have a return train ticket of your own but it is not expensive.

Potsdam - Beautiful town to the southwest with palaces and one of them was the venue where Stalin, Churchill and Truman met to divide up Germany after the war had ended. Use the hop-on hop off tour bus. Some also take you near the Glienicke Bridge, where the cold war prisoner transfers took place (Bridge of Spies movie).

Stasi Museum - Not strictly WWII, but fascinating on how the DDR spied on so many people.

Checkpoint Charlie.

Babelplatz - Memorial to the Nazi Book Burning.

Riechstag - German Parliament building with a viewing location.

There is so much to see in Berlin even after 7 visits we haven't seen it all.

Edited at 02:02 PM.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I highly recommend a walking tour. We did a free one and they asked for donations at the end. It was very interesting and the highlight of our trip.

free-berlin-tours/tours/... AEgLa1fD_BwE

Edited at 02:26 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pluto2000

Mobile

Amazing thank you guys
Pluto2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Topographie des Terrors is a very honest and moving experience. When I first visited Berlin when I was 19 in 1971 it was a very different place. You would struggle to find anything referring to the war. There was a wall through the city and I had never seen the Brandenburg Gate from the front until I revisited on my 60th birthday. That was quite an experience. Checkpoint Charlie is still there but nothing can convey how nervous we felt after getting our day visa to visit the east and then being watched by armed guards as we crossed the desolate space to reach the east. After all, people were still being shot. I love Berlin like no other place. It has many fascinating places to visit. One of these is Der Neuer Wache in Unter den Linden, the Hackescher Markt district and the Nikolaiviertel are places to see. If you can stay in the Mitte, or the Gendarmenmarkt or Alexanderplatz areas you will be quite central.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

If you want to visit the Reichstag building you have to email and and for a slot well in advance. We did the tour and I'd recommend it but if you can't get that just doing in the dome up to the roof top is great.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
If you want to visit the Reichstag building you have to email and and for a slot well in advance. We did the tour and I'd recommend it but if you can't get that just doing in the dome up to the roof top is great.
Do you still need your passport to get in?
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pluto2000

Mobile

Originally Posted by N52939 View Post
Absolutely love Berlin. We always stay in the Ku'damm area. Lots of shops, bars, restaurants and excellent transport options with Ubahn (underground), SBahn (train), buses and the Hop on Hop off sightseeing buses. In terms of things to see related to WWII.

Sachsenhausen - Concentration camp located in Oranienburg. We did a guided tour via Expedia and it was really moving. You can just visit but having the guide explaining is well worth the extra. You need to have a return train ticket of your own but it is not expensive.

Potsdam - Beautiful town to the southwest with palaces and one of them was the venue where Stalin, Churchill and Truman met to divide up Germany after the war had ended. Use the hop-on hop off tour bus. Some also take you near the Glienicke Bridge, where the cold war prisoner transfers took place (Bridge of Spies movie).

Stasi Museum - Not strictly WWII, but fascinating on how the DDR spied on so many people.

Checkpoint Charlie.

Babelplatz - Memorial to the Nazi Book Burning.

Riechstag - German Parliament building with a viewing location.

There is so much to see in Berlin even after 7 visits we haven't seen it all.
Based on what we have looked up so far we are thinking of going for 7 days, and thats still not covering everything lol
Old 25 Jul 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
P.Sherman
Apprentice Imagineer

The zoo is really good - it has pandas

dreaming of my happy place
P.Sherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
the original olympic stadium and swimming pool worth a visit, you can still see all the patched p bullet holes.
The Flak tower worth a visit and Dachau camp
as said before the all in one transportation tickets amazing value
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List