Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I assume you have a steel post bolted into concrete to stop the caravan being stolen. 2 x chains are also worth using.

Reason I say this is because they do get stolen on a regular basis and are just about untraceable due to where they end up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Do all of the above, without any feeling of guilt or like you're doing it in defiance. It's your property and I'd hazard that you probably had to pay more for the privilege of living in your street than they did back in the olden days.
In pure cash terms this may be right, but in objective terms not so. Both home owners most likely paid the value of the home at the time of buying.

So in comparison they are the same investment.

One may get more money when they sell as the new "market rate" has increased, but so has the replacement they move into
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
But I think if there was one next door to you that blocked your light /view from the window you’d think differently. Not saying op’s is ,of course .
It’d be an odd house where any van blocked next door’s light though .
Stopping them stickbeaking at all the other neighbours might even be considered a plus for the neighbourhood in general too
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

We’re in a cul-de-sac, and in the corner there is a house that overlooks the neighbours drive, however, there’s a footpath between them, and a long enough front garden, so they are not close enough to one another to cause any bother. Ironically, the drive does occasionally have a caravan on it, despite there being a so-called ‘snobby’ covenant in the deeds forbidding it.

Rubbish picture, but the house under the white pathway faces to the left, so the house above it faces onto their drive. If there were no front gardens, I can see that the caravan could block light.

Edited at 10:40 AM.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

A pic meaning anything to show perspective. I don’t mean a photo from the front of the house showing both OP’s house and the neighbour’s 😳
I would never do that myself.
A diagram with positioning etc was more what I was thinking, like they’re always doing on Judge Judy 😆

I personally wouldn’t like to see a huge white object in my line of view if that was all I could see tbh.
Our neighbours each side don’t park on the front drive/garden anyway. We do, but our houses have the downstairs WC and kitchens at the front so not such a big issue anyway.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

not really relevant but my mate recently moved onto a nrew estate in the small town we live in

part of the terms/deeds on this new estate are no "branded" work vans or caravans allowed on drives/street

i was amazed they can specify what you can/cant park on your own drive !

one of my neighbours sometimes park his HGV tractor unit on the drive dosnt really bother me its his job...

Edited at 12:19 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post
So a little update.

I have called around and all the local gated caravan storage sites are full. I spoke to a major dealer and they said they have never sold so many caravans. They usually have hundreds on display but the can not meet demand and are only a quarter full of stock. They say it’s been crazy. Who knew?

So without asking permission I have been and brought 6 conifers to make a hedge DH went and removed all the plants that passed the test and has put them in our garden. As soon as the first conifer was in sight they were out.

They said our house is not like yours. You get to see the street but we are in the corner so our view is your drive. He stuck to his guns and explained we had brought these to make a hedge.

He explained these were the slow growers and cost us £150. We have done this so you do not see what’s in our drive. He went on to say he will keep them caravan height and keep them tidy.

They said is the van not going to storage? He said no it’s staying. They went in and have then stood then the front window staring with arms folded.

I made my appearance with a big bag of miracle grow Which I sprinkled neat all over them! I did not make eye contact with the window.

We are all detached with plenty of place between houses. I feel so much better. We have tried to do it in a nice way but I am so glad we will soon have a hedge for privacy.

Thank you for all options for and against. They have helped me with perspective.

Nikki. X
Yes caravan sales have gone exceptionally well since covid started. Presumably because people are looking to have more holidays at home rather than flying abroad.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I assume you have a steel post bolted into concrete to stop the caravan being stolen. 2 x chains are also worth using.

Reason I say this is because they do get stolen on a regular basis and are just about untraceable due to where they end up.
Theft from service stations is a huge risk for caravan owners.

Most insurance policies require you to have a hitch lock (which you should also use on the road to protect from service station or other en-route theft) and a wheel lock. They don't usually require any posts.

As most won't pay out without the hitch and wheel locks this should be your first focus. With the hitch lock, ensure it also has the tow ball plug as well.

Then as Tom mentioned consider a security post.

Other deterrents are the window etching, alarms and trackers that most modern caravans have or can have.

It was interesting reading in this thread how the posters aligned, as it was very much aligned to how many post their views on Covid as well. Just goes to show how much core values and beliefs drive and play out in many different situations.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

That’s a good point. A friend of mine has a good skelp of land next to her house and while they were away in holiday (funnily enough in their caravan) a large towing trailer got stolen. It did not belong to them (letting someone they know park it there). Never occurred to them that someone would steal it.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Wise words, my parents caravan was very difficult to get out of its spot but my dad moved it the night before ready to go off in the morning. When they got up the van was gone despite having a hitchlock on and the clever blighters had also removed the security light bulbs from all of the lights without one assumes setting them off
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List