Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Mar 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Where would you go for short solo trip?

I've had 2 years from hell, losing both my parents, dealing with their estates, we've just had what would have been their 51st wedding anniversary, next month I have both their birthdays (they're a day apart) and their stone setting, which I've timed intentionally with their birthdays.

I'm hoping that by then, the estates will finally be finalised and that will mark the end of a particularly hideous era.

I'm currently working my notice period at work so could factor in a little solo break before moving on, which I'm hoping may give me time to start to heal.

I've never travelled alone, been several places, and as far as Australia just with the kids, but never completely by myself with no-one else to consider and I have absolutely no idea where to go.

I'd considered Florida to utilise our APs, plus with DVC there would be no (or little) accommodation costs, plus I can be flexible with flying dates, but I don't think I want to go to Florida alone, it's somewhere we all share together.

Any suggestions please? Somewhere safe for a solo female traveller, preferably with some places of interest as I'm not a sun worshipper, I get very twitchy!

I'd like to keep the budget in 3 figures.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Edinburgh.

We lived there for 18 years and loved it. So much to see in one of the World's most beautiful cities.

Direct tram from the airport, 20 mins tops.

One of the most walkable capitals, quite a lot of stuff is free and you'll not have a problem with sunshine ;-)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My first, and only, thought is a shortish cruise. Nice ports of call, people on board so company if you wanted it or not, but at least people around, good food ready prepared, safe place to be. I would suggest P@O who sail from Southampton or possibly Fred Olsen but know nothing about that line.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I have done the following on my own:
NYC
Vegas
Montreal
HK
Kuala Lumpar
Bangkok

And I am off to Quebec City in three weeks time.

I did a trip report for KL, Bangkok and Montreal.

Cost wise, Asia you can do a lot cheaper. Both Bangkok and KL were under €1000. I felt safe everywhere.

Shout if you have any questions.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Two places I have been to recently albeit with family but would definitely go back to on my own are New York and Berlin. I felt perfectly safe in both! Sounds like you've had a horrendous time recently, I hope you find somewhere you feel comfortable going to and have a great time

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I did 5 nights in Vienna before Christmas. Very calm and peaceful city and I felt very safe walking everywhere. I stayed at the Hotel Kaiserin Elizabeth beside the cathedral so very central. I went to the opera one night and did lots of art galleries and museums. The Christmas markets were on so it was quite busy everywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to return and it would be lovely for a spring or summer trip.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

As a family, we visited Venice last year. I would feel safe here as a solo traveller though. Such a beautiful city, with many places of interest and an excellent water bus (vaporetto) service to get you to the islands or the Lido if you wished. Lots of wonderful churches and amazing museums to wander around. The best way to see Venice is by walking and every walkway felt safe, even little alleyways. Many bars and restaurants had seating overlooking a square or the Canal, so even for eating out I would feel comfortable alone as you could just people watch or relax with a book and a cocktail.

Edited at 11:39 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you all, some great ideas to consider.

DH and I were actually in Venice earlier this month for our anniversary, as well as last New Year ('17-'18) so I've ruled that one out, otherwise that would have worked well.

I've ruled out Asia, but only because we're going to Sri Lanka for our summer holiday so I don't want to fly that way twice in a short space of time.

Another place I was wondering about was Poland and specifically Auschwitz as it's somewhere my dad always wanted to go and see but never made it, I know very little about it and if it's somewhere safe to go alone.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

How about Switzerland? It is really easy to get around by train/bus/boat there (I got a Swiss Pass a few years ago which gave unlimited travel on public transport and entry into some museums), it's quite safe, and lots to see/do/eat there! The downside is that it's a more expensive destination than a lot of other places...
Old 28 Mar 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I've had 2 years from hell, losing both my parents, dealing with their estates, we've just had what would have been their 51st wedding anniversary, next month I have both their birthdays (they're a day apart) and their stone setting, which I've timed intentionally with their birthdays.

I'm hoping that by then, the estates will finally be finalised and that will mark the end of a particularly hideous era.

I'm currently working my notice period at work so could factor in a little solo break before moving on, which I'm hoping may give me time to start to heal.

I've never travelled alone, been several places, and as far as Australia just with the kids, but never completely by myself with no-one else to consider and I have absolutely no idea where to go.

I'd considered Florida to utilise our APs, plus with DVC there would be no (or little) accommodation costs, plus I can be flexible with flying dates, but I don't think I want to go to Florida alone, it's somewhere we all share together.

Any suggestions please? Somewhere safe for a solo female traveller, preferably with some places of interest as I'm not a sun worshipper, I get very twitchy!

I'd like to keep the budget in 3 figures.
How about Lake Garda. Its lovely for strolling along, people watching, having a coffee by the Lake. Theres plenty to see and do trip wise, winerys etc. Pick a small hotel like Hotel Roma From Tui, its bed and breakfast and right on the lake. Lovely promenade to wander along as well.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List