Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Take your time as there’s plenty out there to choose from. Check the history too and ask plenty of questions. Many may have been ex-lease cars so maybe one owner but the owner could have been Europcar for example and whilst they may look shiny and clean they will have been expertly cleaned and prepared. 1 owner but hundreds of drivers! Check and ask who the previous owner was. The V5 no longer shows it due to stupid GDPR rules. Don’t get dragged into giddy PCP schemes either. They look tempting but remember that you never own the car you are effectively long term renting it!
I will be paying cash. I’m the type of person who likes to own their car and drive it until it no longer runs..😬

I’ll bear in mind about previous owners. Thanks.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I will be paying cash. I’m the type of person who likes to own their car and drive it until it no longer runs..😬

I’ll bear in mind about previous owners. Thanks.
Haha I'm the same.

This explains pre-reg cars better than I can do rac/drive/advice/b...gistered-cars/

I've found my last two polos by doing a search on the VW website for used cars, selecting Polo and then putting in lowest mileage, pre-reg usually say 50 miles to cover small journeys around the pound but mine tended to actually have less than 10 on the clock. You also get the remainder of the warranty too.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Thanks. Probably looking to spend about 10k on a used car that’s a couple of years old. Don’t want to spend much more than that as the Kuga will probably need replacing in a couple of years and that will cost a fair bit more.

👍🏻
A good budget ,
On my choices
You get a nearly new or ex demo for this amount on the up.
A year to 18 month old 140 ps Fiesta.
A 4 yr old MX5 with low mileage.
As always cars are such a personal choice look around find a model that suits your needs then search for best deal and don't be afraid to travel.
Good luck in the hunt.
Old 11 Oct 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Funky little cars but mechanically very fragile - very sensitive to oil levels and the engines have a habit of self destructing. Just saying
Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Oh wow never knew! My mil has only had hers a couple of months.

Maybe ignore my suggestion then! 😂
I had a Smart ForFour for many years. I never had any problems with it and it was a great little car and a good runner. Plus they were rare so it stood out on the roads. However, it was one of the original ForFours, not the new generation and so I have no idea what they are like. And it's definitely only for a maximum of four people; it wasn't roomy.

I now have a Skoda Citigo, which is like the Up but cheaper. It's also a good car.

As the OP already has a Ford, I would've suggested the Fiesta. It seems to do well in many of the reviews.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

My wife drives a polo 1.2 and loves it. It’s very nippy and comfortable and only £20 tax.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

I love my Honda Jazz. In addition to living in a hilly area is gives zero flips about snow and handles that well as well. I’m a fan of cars having a squarer boot so you don’t loose space and I can get a lot into a Jazz.

Edited at 07:30 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I’m going to say - not a fiat punto 1.2... I’m driving on out in Spain, had to stop on a slope to get out of an underground carpark - thought we were going to have to push it out!

I can vouch of the 1l 85ps polo’s very nice car! I test drove a 1l ecoboost 125 fiesta at the same time as that on at it felt lovely and nippy - quote low down, couldn’t vouch for it totally though 🤷🏻

Edited at 10:13 PM.
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

I have an Abarth 595 with 165bhp that is small but certainly has more than enough power to get you up any hill. Also really fun to drive 😁
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Never even thought to look at Mazda. Thanks.
I have a Mazda 2 Sport which has a 1.5 engine size and is a great smaller car. Very comfortable, loads of extras and good fuel economy.

Debra
Old 12 Oct 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gingerlife View Post
I have an Abarth 595 with 165bhp that is small but certainly has more than enough power to get you up any hill. Also really fun to drive 😁
I like the look of the Abarths. Sadly, all the ones I’ve seen are about £3k over my budget.🙈
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List