Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Sep 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Not using 2nd leg of flight booking... ?

Well. It appears we are BOOKED FOR 2021! Booked today after aporox 5hrs on and off the phone to BA *yawn*.

Anyway, we looked at flights to and from Miami, Tampa, and into Miami home from Tampa (our preferred option). But it was over £500 cheaper to fly in to Tampa, via Miami. I actually want to be in Miami, but the agent told me if we don't check in to the onward flight, we are classed as a No Show and all further flights cancelled.

It's insane to think this option is cheaper than just getting on the same direct flight, but without the onward option 🤷🏼

Is there a workaround for this?! Or do we just suck it up, fly to Tampa and start our road trip from there?!

I know this has been asked before but can't seem to search.

TIA x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
The agent is correct, despite how mad it seems to be, unfortunately.

If you don't show up for a flight leg then the remainder of the trip will be cancelled.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
The agent is correct, despite how mad it seems to be, unfortunately.

If you don't show up for a flight leg then the remainder of the trip will be cancelled.
Thank you for your speedy reply! It's utterly crackers. That same flight, on its own, is £500 dearer than adding an EXTRA flight to it.

Hey ho. Will plan from Tampa then.

Thanks again...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

There is actually an App / website called skiplagged that looks for things like this. The problem is that you need to book as one ways to avoid the cancellation problem, but it is also something airlines have become aware of and have been warning repeat offenders. In one case I believe Lufthansa actually billed the customer and took them to court.
Old 5 Sep 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you looked at multi city flights? Can sometime be a similar price.

Only time you should skip a leg is if it is the final one. And then you need to be hand luggage only for the return.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Have you looked at multi city flights? Can sometime be a similar price.

Only time you should skip a leg is if it is the final one. And then you need to be hand luggage only for the return.
Or have an airport change (ie into Gatwick but onward flight out of heathrow), so you get your checked luggage back.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Don’t give up yet! As others have said, have a look at multi centre bookings.

Google Earth works well as it’s very easy on this site to play with alternative dates, etc.

When you have found a good combination, try the relevant airlines own site and if that is not even cheaper, try a direct call to the airline itself. Also look into codeshares as it might be a better deal on the same flights, but booked through a different airline (we generally book through Delta on Virgin Atl flights).

I have not flown into and out of the same city on any of my last 7 USA visits, as I prefer driving a ‘ribbon route’ throughout a vacation, rather than make lots of return journeys.

Recent(ish) examples.

Boston, NY, Dayton, Cincinatti, Orlando, Miami.
SFO, Monterey, San L Obispo, LA, San Diego, LA.
Pensacola, Destin, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach.
Orlando, Cocoa Beach, Duck Key, Key West, Miami.
NY, Washington, Orlando, Miami.

These multi centre flights can dramatically reduce miles driven during a vacation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:23 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Indirect flights are always cheaper as there are more variables which could cause problems, eg the first leg being late causing people to miss the second leg.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I'd had a wee gin or 2 when I posted last night...

To confirm, we've booked Heathrow to Tampa, via Miami (American Airlines, booked with BA).

Then home from Tampa to Gatwick (BA)

This was considerably cheaper than flying direct on the same flight to Miami, but without flying onward to Tampa!

We looked at multi city options; and I spent hours on the phone to BA, who were extremely helpful. I've literally searched every conceivable combination. I just want to land in Miami and stay there though 😅

We can cancel at any time and re-book, so I'm keeping my eyes open for other options...

Edited at 11:32 AM.